• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 804a

@Captain Ray Paul would you be so kind and open the doors to the left and right of Genset and take clear pictures of each compartment? We also would like to see a closeup of the reconnection board and the K1 contactor terminals
@Captain Ray Paul would you be so kind and open the doors to the left and right of Genset and take clear pictures of each compartment? We also would like to see a closeup of the reconnection board and the K1 contactor terminals

Guyfang

Staff member
Its 01:22 here, so I am going to bail out. Sounds like a short in the K1, or maybe someone fooled with the TB1. I would take the input wires off the K1 and tape them up. Then start the set and try to turn on the AC voltage. If no short light comes on, then the K1 is shot. Could have water in it. Known trouble area.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks @Captain Ray Paul

IMG_0045.jpeg

this is the area off most interest at the moment

K1 is to the left of the reconnection board and the current transformers are to the right.

Please check this area carefully for burnt and or loose / frayed wires.

disconnect the three large wires from K1 facing out, leave the three 16 ga wires on K1 and test Genset again

for safety reasons, tape the the connectors on the large wires off temporarily before testing Genset!!!

Thanks @Captain Ray Paul

View attachment 920015

this is the area off most interest at the moment

K1 is to the left of the reconnection board and the current transformers are to the right.

Please check this area carefully for burnt and or loose / frayed wires.

disconnect the three large wires from K1 facing out, leave the three 16 ga wires on K1 and test Genset again

for safety reasons, tape the the connectors on the large wires off temporarily before testing Genset!!!
Same result.😪

ok, then it is time to get the manuals with the wiring diagrams out and start troubleshooting
I am going to have to sign off for tonight

You may want to reconnect the three big wires.
Guy will be back tomorrow morning
Thanks Mate! Very much appreciated! I'll study the manuals tomorrow and report back on this thread.

Guyfang

Staff member
Slow down here. Leave the three cables off. Take the three off on the other side, and tape them REAL GOOD up. Then start the set, and try to close the K1. lets see if K1 is going to close with no AC voltage on the in or output of the K1.

Guyfang

Staff member
I thought so too. We will see what happens when the input wires are disconnected from K1. Once taped up, and posing not great harm to man or beast, and the set running, if there is a short inside the K1, nothing should happen. If is shorts, I would STILL take out the K1 and open it up. If its full of water, well, you get a short. It could also be melted into a clump inside, and you get a short. If it gives you a short, and the K1 is in order, that I would say, take the rear panel off the gen set. Get a light and look at the main gen. Sadly, I no longer have a picture of a small pile of copper wire, piled up under the Main gen. The exciter rotor tore itself up and it would short when the start up would give initial excitation. But lets not get ahead of the plan.

If it looks like the TB1 has been fooled with, than we can look at that also. But first the K1.

Slow down here. Leave the three cables off. Take the three off on the other side, and tape them REAL GOOD up. Then start the set, and try to close the K1. lets see if K1 is going to close with no AC voltage on the in or output of the K1.
So.. I took this part with the 12 nuts off and now the k1 works fine. I found a loose ground and now I have 120 to the convenience outlet. I got a new volt meter and it's now working. I plugged in my heat gun to the convenience plug and my%usage gage indicated correctly.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Good Job!!
That is TB1. Often when people remove it from the mounting place, a wire gets pushed out of place. Then you have a short. Thats what we would have found if you had removed the K1 wires. Another GOOD way to find a short is this. Fire up the set, at about 23:00. Lights out, all the doors open. Try to turn on K1. you would have seen the arc, in the dark. Did you check ALL the connections? If not, you might want to do that.

Good Job!!
That is TB1. Often when people remove it from the mounting place, a wire gets pushed out of place. Then you have a short. Thats what we would have found if you had removed the K1 wires. Another GOOD way to find a short is this. Fire up the set, at about 23:00. Lights out, all the doors open. Try to turn on K1. you would have seen the arc, in the dark. Did you check ALL the connections? If not, you might want to do that.
I plan on removing the 4 mount bolts and looking behind to see if anything is wired wrong,loose, or missing. Beyond that I'm going back to the TMs. At least I've got this far! Lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks