• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 804A

grywitt

Hello. Does anyone know where I can find the float switch for this machine. Here's why maybe somebody has insight and I don't really need one. When I turn the switch to run the no fuel light comes on and it won't stay running. Heck it won't start if I wait a second for the light to come on. It definitely has fuel. I pulled out the level switch mage sure it moved freely and that the float didn't renegade if it was up. I put the float back in and it started and ran. Then the next day when I checked again the problem was back. I'm thinking the float has a leak so it fills up then sinks. I've been looking for one to buy but they are all out of stock.

grywitt

I should have done a better job proof reading that last post. My bad. I made sure the float don't close again when floated. I tried to write re engage.

Guyfang

Staff member
You wrote:
Hello. Does anyone know where I can find the float switch for this machine. Here's why maybe somebody has insight and I don't really need one. When I turn the switch to run the no fuel light comes on and it won't stay running. (This is normal. When the FL1/FL2 switch sends a "Low Fuel" signal to the gen set, the safety system will not allow the set to run farther) Heck it won't start if I wait a second for the light to come on. (This is normal. Same reason I gave you above. ) It definitely has fuel. I pulled out the level switch mage sure it moved freely and that the float didn't renegade if it was up. I put the float back in and it started and ran. Then the next day when I checked again the problem was back. I'm thinking the float has a leak (Cant happen. The float is a solid mass. It will not allow fuel to enter it. ) so it fills up then sinks. I've been looking for one to buy but they are all out of stock.

First off, take a look to see if the float is NOT touching anything in the tank. Its possible that the switch is turned in the wrong direction and hangs up. Then look at the float itself. The magnets in it, should be three of them to close and open the contacts, may have fallen out. Seen it happen.

Have you tested the switch IAW the -24 TM?
Do you have the TM's?
Is the set new to you? Have you ever seen it work long time periods?

grywitt

You wrote:
Hello. Does anyone know where I can find the float switch for this machine. Here's why maybe somebody has insight and I don't really need one. When I turn the switch to run the no fuel light comes on and it won't stay running. (This is normal. When the FL1/FL2 switch sends a "Low Fuel" signal to the gen set, the safety system will not allow the set to run farther) Heck it won't start if I wait a second for the light to come on. (This is normal. Same reason I gave you above. ) It definitely has fuel. I pulled out the level switch mage sure it moved freely and that the float didn't renegade if it was up. I put the float back in and it started and ran. Then the next day when I checked again the problem was back. I'm thinking the float has a leak (Cant happen. The float is a solid mass. It will not allow fuel to enter it. ) so it fills up then sinks. I've been looking for one to buy but they are all out of stock.

First off, take a look to see if the float is NOT touching anything in the tank. Its possible that the switch is turned in the wrong direction and hangs up. Then look at the float itself. The magnets in it, should be three of them to close and open the contacts, may have fallen out. Seen it happen.

Have you tested the switch IAW the -24 TM?
Do you have the TM's?
Is the set new to you? Have you ever seen it work long time periods?
Well thanks for the info. I thought for sure I had figured it out. As far as being turned wrong I'm not sure that's possible since it is straight but maybe I have the wrong one in the machine. It is new to me so I am still learning about the machine. I kind of accidentally bought two an 804A and an 802A. I put bids in on both of them thinking I would probably get out bid on both but instead won them both. Lol. Oh well. I'm happy to have both of them.
Thanks again. I will update as I figure out more.

Guyfang

Staff member
Make pictures!!! Show us pictures.

You wrote: I'm not sure that's possible since it is straight but maybe I have the wrong one in the machine.
Look at item #10. Thats not straight.

1711913575944.png

grywitt

This is the manual I have for this machine and it shows it as straight. Do I have the wrong info? Did I post this wrong and put it in a different gen category? I am asking about an 804A. I will send pictures and stuff with my questions and findings once I am able to. I am out of town and have been working 7 days a week for a few months so I'm not able to work on this thing as much as I'd like. I'm really glad this site and you people are here to inquire with. I can verify that what this screenshot shows and what I have are the same though.

Attachments

grywitt

Make pictures!!! Show us pictures.

You wrote: I'm not sure that's possible since it is straight but maybe I have the wrong one in the machine.
Look at item #10. Thats not straight.

View attachment 920267
I think that's for an 802a right? I have that green also but I'm asking about the 804. Is it possible the float in the 804 can leak fill up and sink. I really thought I was on to something.

grywitt

So I am still having the problem with the float switch. It is definitely the switch because I check the switch with my ohm meter and it is closed. If I take the switch out and move it manually it acts as it should. Hmmmm?.
Aside from that I made a poor man's load Bank and pulled 30 amps per phase and it held it well. It did blow out some pretty big chuncks of soot? Metal? Stuff. Is this pretty normal? It did sound a like it was fluctuating a bit but the frequency meter only moved by like 1/10th of a hert. Anyway I'm still trying to figure out what's up with the float switch but I thought I would share my load test with pics just for fun.

Attachments

grywitt

I ran this with this load for about 30 minutes checking Temps and watching pressure ect. I just bought this not long ago and haven't had a chance to play with it and check to see if I got hurt or not. So far so good I guess

grywitt

FWIW: I have had float switches that lost buoyancy. Did you check that the float for the float switch actually floats in diesel?
I haven't done that but it seems to be the only thing that makes sense. If I take it out and check it then when I put it back in it is good but the next day it's closed again. I thought maybe it had a crack and filled then sank. Thanks for confirming that that happens. Someone told me that was impossible since it's solid. Can we buy just the float it looks like it can be removed and replaced without changing the whole switch? I guess I could put some diesel in a bucket and see if it sinks after a while.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Can we not upload videos?
No Sir... Unfortunately you have to go around your thumb to get to your a$$. This site doesn't support video. Have to go to YouTube (or similar) post your video, then past a link here. Sorry...

grywitt

No Sir... Unfortunately you have to go around your thumb to get to your a$$. This site doesn't support video. Have to go to YouTube (or similar) post your video, then past a link here. Sorry...
Thanks for the info. I have a new addiction and it's buying and playing with these generators so I think I might end up on here a lot. I better learn the ropes

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the info. I have a new addiction and it's buying and playing with these generators so I think I might end up on here a lot. I better learn the ropes
Well good! Happy to see you here - and make sure you download the TM's (Technical Manuals) for the GenSets you are working on. There is a ton of information in those books...

Welcome to the Outfit!

grywitt

While I was load testing the 804A it was throwing out quite a bit of black chunks out the exhaust. Does this usually mean that it hasn't been run in a while or maybe that it hasn't been loaded hard for a long time? The longer I left the load on it the more it seemed to settle into it.
Also my kva meter wasn't showing load but my amp meter was. I plan on studying the TMs but haven't had the time yet. Any ideas what to check? What kind of signal does that meter use to show load?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
While I was load testing the 804A it was throwing out quite a bit of black chunks out the exhaust. Does this usually mean that it hasn't been run in a while or maybe that it hasn't been loaded hard for a long time? The longer I left the load on it the more it seemed to settle into it.
Also my kva meter wasn't showing load but my amp meter was. I plan on studying the TMs but haven't had the time yet. Any ideas what to check? What kind of signal does that meter use to show load?
Chances are that the generator wasn't loaded heavily enough when it was last run. It takes hours and hours of time to build up that much "soot". Might have been a command tent that it was attached to and it spent most of its life just running with no load. Yep, you definitely should see a difference in an hour or so of loaded run time.

Best thing to do first is to ground the GenSet. Then, plug something into the "convenience outlet". It should run whatever - a drill, a grinder, whatever - just something to ensure it is pumping power.

You mentioned "Load Testing". What kind of testing and with what?

grywitt

Chances are that the generator wasn't loaded heavily enough when it was last run. It takes hours and hours of time to build up that much "soot". Might have been a command tent that it was attached to and it spent most of its life just running with no load. Yep, you definitely should see a difference in an hour or so of loaded run time.

Best thing to do first is to ground the GenSet. Then, plug something into the "convenience outlet". It should run whatever - a drill, a grinder, whatever - just something to ensure it is pumping power.

You mentioned "Load Testing". What kind of testing and with what?
I built an improv load bank. I posted pics earlier. I used heater coils from an electric furnace and wired them three phase and well laid them on the dirt and let them get hot. between the sand they were laying on and a breeze they did pretty good and pulled a nice even 30 amps per phase. If you go back a few posts you can see what I did. It's not my best work but I wanted to put a load on this gen. I plan on building a better load bank eventually but it worked.

grywitt

Lol. I have been curious what people were going to say about my load bank. One thing nice it's a purely resistive load and very consistent. The dry sand actually worked pretty well to dissipate the heat.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Lol. I have been curious what people were going to say about my load bank. One thing nice it's a purely resistive load and very consistent. The dry sand actually worked pretty well to dissipate the heat.
Yes sir... That would work and a little breeze wouldn't hurt either. Lots of guys here just use an oven or two wired in as a load bank. Wired appropriately of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks