• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831a Troubleshooting

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this for troubleshooting. Before you try to start the unit unstick the magnet from the target. Turn the unit to run on the switch. See if you see the arm on the actuator jump. On all mine the target pulls away from the magnet as soon as you turn the unit on.

dav5

I did what you said and it jumps for sure. When I first got it it was maxed out on the speed screw and it had hardly any pull on the magnet and wouldn't shut off. I set the govenor up and used a fishing scale to set the magnet at 5 lbs but they aren't the most precise instruments you can buy. Maybe the magnet is too strong?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. The magnet is too strong. Get it down to 4.5 lbs and see if it will pull off. Its a compromise between weak enough to pull off but strong enough to hold it for shutdown.

dav5

OK thanks Chris I will see what I can do.. I had to borrow a multi meter with a frequency setting to set it up. I would be interested in your opinion on VAC vs Freguency readings like ted50 asked a while back. Happy New Year

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used voltage and frequency to set one up. Use the one you have the gear to measure. You will be fine.

Frequency will be a tad more accurate but not so much so to make a difference in operation.

dav5

I reduced the pull on the magnet. Very frustrating!! I finally decided to put an indexing mark on both the magnet and it's housing with a sharpie pen so I could tell where I was moving the magnet to. I also found if I had the magnet in contact with the plate it wouldn't rotate when I tightened the magnet nut. Anyway I now have the magnet disconnecting 95% of the time when the switch is on run so still a bit of fine tuning to go.
I decided to give the generator it's first real workout. It ran fine for about 45 minutes with a 3.0 kw load. It then bogged down and shutoff. The muffler was smoking and very hot so I guess it was wet stacked although I didn't think the 831's were prone to it.
I let it cool off and restarted. It ran for about 30 min and then the actuator fritzed out and it started surging. I held the arm so it couldn't shut off and it settled down. I had to repeat this 2 or 3 more times in the next 90 minutes. It finally started running like a champ and ran at 3.0 kw for another 4 hours. I am hoping a good run has blown out the cobwebs and corrosion. Only time will tell. Thanks for all the advice!!!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep an eye on that controller. What you are describing with the thing freaking out after a while is the beginning symptoms of controller failure.

Glad you have the magnet setup working better. What is the pull-off force right now?

dav5

Keep an eye on that controller. What you are describing with the thing freaking out after a while is the beginning symptoms of controller failure.

Glad you have the magnet setup working better. What is the pull-off force right now?[/QUOTE

I was thinking the controller might be failing. The magnet pull is about 4.25 lbs. You had mentioned in your previous posts that you were working on a controller. Was that the speed control panel or the actual mechanical actuator?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm building a replacement for the actual speed controller itself. Unfortunately my contract on the west coast has been extended so I won't be home to finish the project up till the fall of the year. It will be one of my priorities when I wrap up this project.

That amount of pull-off is what I've settled in on setting them to. 4.25 seems to be the sweet spot.

DanM7890

My turn to join the party. I won a MEP-831a yesterday out of Bragg. There was a couple of them up for grabs and I landed one for a good deal, but I guess we'll find out. Should I be worried with a unit with higher hours?

Guyfang

Staff member
You really have no idea if the hours on the clock, and the hours on the set, are the same. So don't sweat the little stuff. Read some of the threads, along with this one, and you should be on the right track! Take it one step at a time.

Hammond Charlie

Guys... you all have been great. The control instructions received are on target. These are nifty units.

Put them under 3000wat load for better than a half hour.... no problem!

Here's the current problem...

Purchased 3 units, two are running well, the third appears to have a surging issue, someone tore into it to solve the problem, but that for later.

I installed 2 12v motorcycle bats, with a 24v solar panel with digital voltage read out regulator. When operating one unit, reading the digital voltage, I see the voltage fluctuate 1 or 2 v as a result of the 831a charging the bat. The second unit when operating does not register a change in voltage. Opened the (battery) voltage regulator, apparently there is a bubble (heat affected) in a 5w 10012 resistor.

I swapped out battery regulators with the other unit not working... that's when I found the heat affected resistor with a bubble. Sitting here typing, I should have opened both regulators up, but I didn't. That will be done another day.

Here's the questions:
Solution 1: I've been looking for the gen set voltage input to the voltage regulator... if this is only a battery regulator, almost any 24v battery regulator may work, but I was looking for the regulator voltage input in the TM. Appears to be 24 +/- volts... if someone out there could confirm voltage and the idea almost any 24v regulator might work.

Solution 2: Solder in a replacement resistor for the 5w 10012 resistor. Here's my lack of knowledge... from a net search it appears a replacement resistor may now be ceramic/cement...... would that matter? Also a lot of the resistors found are the small ones, which most likely won't handle 5 w.

Solution 3: just buy a couple of regulators found on ebay.

What do you folks who have more experience on this think?

Thanks.
Any other things I'm missing?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ceramic resisters will be very heat tolerant. If the values are correct they will be suitable (but usually larger) replacements.

dav5

IMG_19691231_190237.jpgIMG_19691231_190146.jpgIMG_19691231_190358.jpgIMG_20170720_180814.jpg Hi, I just wanted to show what I have done with my 831A and 803A. I want to thank everyone who has offered advice particularly Guyfang, DieselAddict, Dwnorton1, Daybreak, Dewie38 and many others. My 803A is installed at my house and runs great. It allows us to operate as normal with a bit of load management. I have a gas furnace and gas water heater.
My 831A is now on an island in Northern Ontario Canada the power has been out for 4 extended outages already this summer.. I rerouted the exhaust so it is horizontal and on the advice of DieselAddict I put in 3000W elements in my water heater. I run the water heater with nothing else every couple of days for 3 or 4 hours and then shut it off. The hot water usually lasts for 2 days and I can run the water pump, fridge and a couple of other 15 amp outlets when it is off. This is a camp so it seems like luxury. My wife is very happy. We can cook on the BBQ or woodstove depending on the season. During the last outage last week I wasn't there but my buddy ran it for 10 hours over 2 days to keep the fridge cold on less than 1 tank of diesel. I am extremely happy!! Thanks Guys

Attachments

dav5

IMG_19691231_190514.jpgHere is a shot of the vent in the floor of the enclosure. So far with the vent in the floor plus the upper screened vents it hasn't overheated with the doors closed. Also I would have preferred to hard wire the generator panel but I happened to have this one on hand and it has a short extension cord rather than being hard wired.

Last edited:

dav5

Any time you guys want to visit I will show you some real Canadian hospitality. Just let me know when. Guyfang I only drink European beer. My favourites are Spaten and Faxe but I'm sure you could introduce me to many others.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks