• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831a Troubleshooting

Guyfang

Staff member
I drank a lot of Spaten in the early 70's. FAX was our beer to drink when we went to fire missiles on the Island of Crete. The Greeks do many things well, but beer is NOT one of them. Spaten makes a particularly good Weizen. Perfect for these warm days.

Living here in Beer Heaven, Oberfranken, or Upper Franconia, gives me a chance to live the dream! With more than 200 independent breweries which brew approximately 1000 different types of beer, Upper Franconia has the world's highest brewery-density per capita. A special Franconian beer route (Fränkische Brauereistraße) leads along popular breweries. If you add in Lower and Middle Franconia, there are about 650 breweries.

I just got a six pack, of nothing but different Bock and Double Bock beer today. I collect labels, and always drink what I collect. These are all "High Octane" beers. From 6.5 to 7.8%. You have to put these babies in the fridge, and cool them down before drinking.

You never know, I might just wonder by one day!

dav5

If you ever want to visit there will be free beer[the good stuff], food and lodging. My farm is an hour north of Pearson international airport [Toronto] and it's a 2 1/2 hour drive north to my camp. We are the same vintage and I remember the good old days. I used to go over the border to Buffalo to drink beer because the Canadian age was 21 and NY state had an age of 18. The Canadian age went to 18 two months after I turned 21. I was pissed. The border guys would just shake their head and wave you through. That sure doesn't happen anymore. It's a new world out there unfortunately.
Back in the day the American beer was awful compared to the Canadian beer but it was all we could get under age. Now the same mega nationals own the beer companies in North America and it is all awful. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to pick up stuff in Lockbourne. There are some very good local brew pubs that brew very good beer. My neighbour up north was German and he introduced me to German beer and that is all I drink now. My brother in law spent 2 years in Germany with the Canadian military [ plus Bosnia and Cyprus] and he loved it especially the Gasthauses. I save the Faxe high test [around 10%] for special occasions like when I follow the advice on Steelsoldiers and it works.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I remove them I use a couple large screwdrivers and some wedges between the stator and the engine. Slowly work the stator off the rotor. Be mindful of where you apply pressure as to not damage the windings of the stator.

I'm sure there is a special tool for that somewhere. I use what I have around me.

Oh yea, watch your fingers. High strength magnets are not friendly to squishy things such as fingers.

OverkillTASF

Yeah that sounds like the kind of thing I would royally **** up... and/or find things seized. Once the stator is off... how does the rotor come off? I'm just envisioning how many things I've thrown away because I can't get the flywheels off.

olbucksnort

It looks like mine has started to act up. So is there a suitable replacement speed controller other than GAC . Found something on Amazon that's a couple hundred $.$$ cheaper : [h=1]New AVR Speed Controller 12-24V Generator For Cummins EFC3044196[/h]

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on a quick read that one won't provide the variable speed functionality of the OEM controller.

It would be nice to be able to get those things apart so the nature of the failures can be determined.

olbucksnort

Diesel,
Sounds like you did good setting it up.
Where are the stability and gain pots set to?
They should be about 11:00 o'clock. That is, turn all the way ccw then turn cw to 11:00.
254 Hz is dead nuts no load speed and 288 Hz at full load.
I've been preparing for the blizzard we are having starting tomorrow so I apologize that I haven't had a chance to send out the setup procedure yet.
Sounds to me like you may have a bad controller
Try making the rod just a little longer and see if that helps
I decided to order the "Last One" found new on Ebay today and figured like all the posts here said it is more likely the problem for my Spaz Idle after running for 2 to 5 min. ; but feels good I'm not the only one out here like this.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is got the Spazmic idle after it warms up for 2 min. It started doing it at my favorite event this Labor Day at Graves Mt. M/V Trail Rides. Will adjusting the Control Module "Gain" help ?
Its worth a try but I've found that once they start doing that it will get worse and worse till the thing is uncontrollable. Replacing the governor resolves the problem.

olbucksnort

I've enjoyed this thread and everyone's input. I really like this Genni the most of my collection, because it was built with a special audio reverse wave sound suppression system for the Signal Corp. at Ft. Mead. It has microphones microprocessor audio amp and speakers built in it plus, it all works. Only if the vibration of the unit didn't transfer harmonics to the ground. It's a bad azz little genni.

Cord

Do go through the procedure and follow every step. You will need to repeat the process several times because later setting will throw the earlier ones off. This will take several hours so be patient. For mine, I ultimately had to adjust the target magnet. It's a very finicky setting and just tightening the nut is enough to throw it off. Small incremental settings are you friend. I'd do this before changing any parts. Frankly, mine still does it on occasion, but sometimes if I gently hold the target I can get it to stabilize. Otherwise flipping the control off and then back on will reset it.

Oh, if you set the magnet too weak the target won't stick for shut-down. This is the most stable setting. Too strong and you get a surge when the magnet sticks and then releases.

dav5

I have been through this process on two units. Did all the fine tuning, magnet adjustments etc. It would run fine then for no apparent reason would turn schizophrenic. I persevered for months. They were the most frustrating generators I ever worked on. I finally listened to Chris's advice and bought new controllers. I think you should do the same. Ted

olbucksnort

Most of the electronic things I've had like that controller didn't like Vibrations and Moisture , just like the troubled electronic control in Water Craft (Jet Ski type) so at least it can be run without it and disconnect the plug to the mag. gov. and adjust the start-stop slide knob to keep it functioning at a reasonable load speed, but **** I like equipment to run as best as possible ; as designed.

olbucksnort

Most of the electronic things I've had like that controller didn't like Vibrations and Moisture , just like the troubled electronic control in Water Craft (Jet Ski type) so at least it can be run without it and disconnect the plug to the mag. gov. and adjust the start-stop slide knob to keep it functioning at a reasonable load speed, but **** I like equipment to run as best as possible ; as designed.
New control module fixed it. No more spaz idle . The new replacement looked like it had a different component molded under it's epoxy. Could be a improvement ? I'll see how many hours this one last. I have seen other used modules pop up on Ebay since I bought this NOS.

nosliwwt

I am currently working with two MEP 831A's, one showing 62 hour and another at ~900 hours. Both gensets, when started via pull rope or starter immediately go to high RPM. The governor will either start out low at ~210 Hz then the governor opens up to it's max peak and the gensets run at ~300 Hz.

I have replaced the Governor controller, with no changes. Resistance on the governors are 10 ohms and 11 ohms. The older genset needed the injector cleaned and valve adjustments, which allows it to run smoother, but no change in speed.

I have followed the book for adjustment procedures, tried adjust with the speed adjustment with no change and tested a few circuits with no problem found. I have wasted enough time on these and need them in good order before they leave my hands.
Thank you to anyone who can help

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd suggest disconnecting terminals F & G from the Governor Controllers. This removes power from the governor controller.
Be sure they do not touch each other or anything else.
Lift the actuator arm off the magnet.
Start the generator and see what Hz/RPM reading you get.
If you have a high RPM then there is something a muck with the mechanical governor(s). Way out of adjustment?? Springs set wrong??
If it's a low RPM then something is amiss with the governor controllers or the signals to them.

Normally...
Terminals A-B on the governor controller should be at 254 Hz with no load. A no load RPM of 3,050.
The voltage at terminals D-E on the governor controller should be 0 VDC with no load applied. This is the load signal from the inverter.
Voltage at terminals G-F on the governor controller should be ~24-30 VDC regardless of load. This is DC power to the controller.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks