• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP generator fuels

pepperCID

First off, I apologize if this has been discussed before but I did a search and could not find what I was looking for.

I'm a new owner of two MEP 002a diesel generators.

Besides diesel fuel, I'm curious to know what other fuels can be used in these type generators. Such as home heating oil, kerosene, or a oil kerosene mix?

jamawieb

All of the above but I would mix diesel or oil to the Kerosene. I burn used motor oil mixed with diesel through the summer months.

pepperCID

Thanks for the quick reply. Any other recommended fuels for an emergency scenarios? I plan to pick up my two generators Monday. happy days. Pics will be posted soon.

dangier

I have my house 003a hooked directly to the house oil furnace via the auxiliary fuel pump controls. I add Wally World 2 cycle oil (pint or so), about every 24 hours run time to the 003a tank directly for lubrication. I am not above adding used hydraulic oil in small amounts to all my diesel equipment vs giving to recyclers.
David

Ray70

I've burned several hundred gallons of heating oil mixed with 20% used hydraulic oil in generators, my backhoe and my Lull with no problem.
Most diesels will run on straight hydraulic oil, biodiesel, heated vegetable oil, tranny fluid, all sorts of stuff besides "fuel". Just make sure its clean and dry and be mindful of what the ambient temperature is. Some things don't work well in low temps if you run too high of a concentration. As it gets colder you'll want to use more "fuel" and less additive...
Also be careful using high concentrations of bio products, it can soften some rubber products, to say the least...

jamawieb

2 gallons per 6.75 gallons. I've found that anything more, the motor labors more and I can't put the same loads on it.

rustystud

Not to be picky, but is that 2 gallons oil and 6.75 gallons diesel, or 2 gallons oil and 4.75 gallons diesel?
2 gallons oil. I also use some engine oil in all my diesel engines now. With the crap low sulpher fuel they sell now the injection pumps are not getting the lube they need. I also use additives to my fuel.

LuckyDog

On the 002A, the tank only holds 6.75 gallons.

The 003A fuel tank is 12.5 gallons.

So, it would appear that putting 2 gallons of oil into an empty tank then topping off with diesel fuel is the correct answer.

Or I could be mistaken.2cents

jimbo913

Anyone running mixed fuels in the 80X series successfully? Generally I find that newer diesel equipment can't tolerate what the older stuff can.

Ray70

Wow, that seems like a real lot of motor oil, but I guess its working for you with no problem... No issues sooting up the injectors or anything?
Think I saw somewhere that you see differences burning conventional VS synthetic oil (when using 100%) , but diluting with diesel you probably don't see any difference I assume??
I've never tried this but I read (possibly on this forum) that you can cut any petroleum product with gasoline until you get to the same specific gravity as diesel ( around 81) and burn it straight, as long as it's clean and dry. The person who said it worked at a refinery, IIRC.

jamawieb

Wow, that seems like a real lot of motor oil, but I guess its working for you with no problem... No issues sooting up the injectors or anything?
Think I saw somewhere that you see differences burning conventional VS synthetic oil (when using 100%) , but diluting with diesel you probably don't see any difference I assume??
I've never tried this but I read (possibly on this forum) that you can cut any petroleum product with gasoline until you get to the same specific gravity as diesel ( around 81) and burn it straight, as long as it's clean and dry. The person who said it worked at a refinery, IIRC.[/QUO

I haven't had issues in my 002a with over 900 hours of running the mixture. I will mention that I use a half a can of seafoam every other tank.

rustystud

I've never tried this but I read (possibly on this forum) that you can cut any petroleum product with gasoline until you get to the same specific gravity as diesel ( around 81) and burn it straight, as long as it's clean and dry. The person who said it worked at a refinery, IIRC.
Yes you can cut it with gasoline. Just make sure your using a non-ethanol gasoline. I find the ethanol can cause problems.

Chainbreaker

I seem to be accumulating used motor oil these days and like the idea of using it as a fuel additive. So what is the best and easiest way to filter used motor oil if you are going to use it to supplement diesel fuel? I wouldn't want any contaminants to clog fuel filters or make their way to the injection pump.

LuckyDog

I use a coffee filter.

The one with the reusable screen. My wife drinks a LOT of coffee and we have had to replace a couple pots. She likes to use the paper filters because she doesn't like the cleaning aspect of the reusable one. I find it is pretty fine mesh and the oil and fuel run right through.

I tried the paper coffee filter. Filters cleaner, but you wait FOREVER.

Some guys have pretty elaborate set ups. Centrifuge and pressure pumps.

Ratch

I have 4 gallons of used motor oil right now that I'd love to burn, but I'd read in several places that it needs to be run through a centrifuge to get the metal flakes out that can prematurely wear down an IP and injectors. I think running it through a coffee filter would be good, too, and since I'm tied up on a conference call, I decided to doodle out an idea to filter my 4 gallons. Stick one bottle on in the morning before work, take it off when I get home. Or the next day, whatever it takes.

2015_0504-OilFiltering.jpg

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

I use a coffee filter.

The one with the reusable screen. My wife drinks a LOT of coffee and we have had to replace a couple pots. She likes to use the paper filters because she doesn't like the cleaning aspect of the reusable one. I find it is pretty fine mesh and the oil and fuel run right through.

I tried the paper coffee filter. Filters cleaner, but you wait FOREVER.

Some guys have pretty elaborate set ups. Centrifuge and pressure pumps.
Thanks for that tip! I just happen to have one of those very fine mesh coffee filter screens from a couple of dead coffee pots as well; I too am a coffee/caffeine addict! That type of filter should catch anything big that may have made its way into my 5 gallon Buckets-O-Oil (small flying bugs, fine grass blowing in the wind, even a hair or two, etc.) that manage to land in the bucket before I put the lids on them. I'll also drop a magnet on a string in the bottom of the buckets to attract any fine metal particles as an added precaution as well as age the oil a month-or-so sitting undisturbed to let gravity help and then gently pump out the oil and not use the last inch on the bottom.

Yeah, having an elaborate used oil filtering system would be nice to have. However, since I'm not going to be burning the oil in my truck's fuel system its probably not worth the time and $ to set one up. The MEP has enough redundant fuel filtering I hope to catch anything that matters to the injection pump and injectors.

Chainbreaker

I have 4 gallons of used motor oil right now that I'd love to burn, but I'd read in several places that it needs to be run through a centrifuge to get the metal flakes out that can prematurely wear down an IP and injectors. I think running it through a coffee filter would be good, too, and since I'm tied up on a conference call, I decided to doodle out an idea to filter filter my 4 gallons. Stiuck one bottle on in the morning before work, take it off when I get home. Or the next day, whatever it takes.

View attachment 557976
Good idea but I think by restricting the surface area of the filter by necking it down just to the bottle opening it's going to become very severely restricted after gunk accumulates on the coffee filter surface which would probably be less than 1/2" sq in. Might be better to use a coarse filter first (paint filter?) and put the coffee filter in the funnel to use its full surface area but it will still be S-L-O-W going. Perhaps you could put some sort of petcock on the inverted gallon oil jug to get a slow drip so you can let it drip unattended into the filter funnel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks