• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 Governor adjustment

David Sims

I had my 90 hour MEP002 powering the shop this weekend and noticed it did not sound right when the air compressor turned on.

I took a 1650 watt space heater to the generator while it was running at 60HZ and about 25 % rated current; plugged it in and watched the HZ drop from 60 to about 56HZ. Waited a few seconds and it continued to run at about 56 HZ.

I connected the shop to the 2750 hr MEP 002. Repeated the same test with the space heater and the unit stayed at 60HZ.

Back to the 90 hour machine. The Manual on page 4-23 shows the Governor Linkage. Over a couple of hours time I moved the linkage in and out and tested in between with the space heater and did not see a significant change.

Then on page 1-4 it shows the Governor adjustment screw. I then turned the screw on the Blower Housing with the unit running at 60HZ. Screw it in a couple of turns and test with the space heater. So on and so forth until I had run it in and out all the way.

If anyone has the procedure for setting the Governor I would appreciate it.

panic_button

Are you using a digital gauge or the needle guage on the panel? Mine does the same thing with panel gauge about 4-5 drop, I installed a digital guage and the drop is only 2 on it. When I start a 5 ton AC unit it drops about 4 then kicks back up. I run mine with no load at 62hz, with a load it settles at 60hz. GUlf power in FL dropped hertz from 60 to 59 and voltage to 110 to my house. The lineman who was out when I installed my new meter said it was to save money and not have to raise rates.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The governor adjustments you were doing really only set the "Range" of the governor from min to max speed when the speed control knob is pulled out or pushed in. The governor "droop" adjustment is explained on page 7-1 of the -34 TM listed as the "sensitivity adjustment". Try doing that adjustment to see if it helps any. If not it could be more serious issues at work

It's quite possible that you don't have a governor issue at all. Just because it only shows 90 hours on the meter doesn't mean it only has 90 hours on it. I would start out by verifying the engine speed with a digital multimeter with a frequency setting or a "kill-a-watt" meter.

If after you do the proper adjustments and it still acts the same way, it could be a fuel delivery issue or a compression issue or air flow issue that is causing the engine to loose power under load.

David Sims

needle guage

Are you using a digital gauge or the needle guage on the panel? Mine does the same thing with panel gauge about 4-5 drop, I installed a digital guage and the drop is only 2 on it. When I start a 5 ton AC unit it drops about 4 then kicks back up. I run mine with no load at 62hz, with a load it settles at 60hz. GUlf power in FL dropped hertz from 60 to 59 and voltage to 110 to my house. The lineman who was out when I installed my new meter said it was to save money and not have to raise rates.
I was using the needle guage on the panel.

David Sims

fuel observation

The governor adjustments you were doing really only set the "Range" of the governor from min to max speed when the speed control knob is pulled out or pushed in. The governor "droop" adjustment is explained on page 7-1 of the -34 TM listed as the "sensitivity adjustment". Try doing that adjustment to see if it helps any. If not it could be more serious issues at work Will do

It's quite possible that you don't have a governor issue at all. Just because it only shows 90 hours on the meter doesn't mean it only has 90 hours on it.
I would start out by verifying the engine speed with a digital multimeter with a frequency setting or a "kill-a-watt" meter. I'll see if I can scare one up.

If after you do the proper adjustments and it still acts the same way, it could be a fuel delivery issue or a compression issue or air flow issue that is causing the engine to loose power under load.
Could be, my 2750 hr unit will run 15.4 hours on a full tank of fuel. With the same amount of fuel the 90 hr unit ran 9.7 hours in over a weeks time connected to the shop. I ran it 11.8 hours on the shop last Friday and Saturday and used the same amount of fuel. I did check both hour meters with my watch and they are accurate. The loads/conditions were similar enough to easily see the lower hr machine is a lot less efficient.

I'm using 15w40 Rotella, fuel oil and oil filters were replaced in both machines. And I'm using the same off road diesel in both.

Bill W

Could be, my 2750 hr unit will run 15.4 hours on a full tank of fuel. With the same amount of fuel the 90 hr unit ran 9.7 hours in over a weeks time connected to the shop. I ran it 11.8 hours on the shop last Friday and Saturday and used the same amount of fuel. I did check both hour meters with my watch and they are accurate. The loads/conditions were similar enough to easily see the lower hr machine is a lot less efficient.

I'm using 15w40 Rotella, fuel oil and oil filters were replaced in both machines. And I'm using the same off road diesel in both.

Maybe it really does have 90hrs on the hobbs which could be a breakin issue
I remember my Ford diesel took about 23K miles before I got any performance or mpg's out of it, almost like someone turned a switch....just a way out there thought

David Sims

Maybe it really does have 90hrs on the hobbs which could be a breakin issue
I remember my Ford diesel took about 23K miles before I got any performance or mpg's out of it, almost like someone turned a switch....just a way out there thought
I'd be curious - but no real way to know. It has a tag above the idenification plate ""Tier 2 RESET by Letterkenny Army Depot 11/06 Genset hr ready 2.1"... I bought it late last year with 22 hrs showing.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was bought with 22 hours on it and a rebuild tag showing a rebuild run in of 2.1 hours...it's probably only got 90 hours on it....a good buy!!!!

As to the manual, that is the latest one. Both of the -34 manuals for the 002a and 003a are July of '77. The generators haven't changed much over the years...if at all.

David Sims

If it was bought with 22 hours on it and a rebuild tag showing a rebuild run in of 2.1 hours...it's probably only got 90 hours on it....a good buy!!!! I'm hoping she's a keeper.

As to the manual, that is the latest one. Both of the -34 manuals for the 002a and 003a are July of '77. The generators haven't changed much over the years...if at all.
Speddmon,

I'm having trouble finding "The governor "droop" adjustment" in my TM. The TM I downloaded and sent to a printer does not have a page 7-1. I went back to that old thread searching for the file I used and it is not on line. ??

Thanks,

David

David Sims

Governor adjustment worked

PM me your e-mail addy and I'll send it to you
I got a chance to get back on my project last weekend and made the adjustments to the governor as described in chapter 7 of the MEP 002 TM and it worked out well. (Speddmon thanks for the TM download.)

To create a load I used 2 space heaters plugged into the aux outlet and turned them on at the same time.

After adjusting the governor I reconnected the generator to the shop load for a few hours and noticed that the % Rated Current Meter was at 0 when it should have shown about 50%.

When I turn my unit off I turn the breaker off, and slow the engine to idle for an instant and turn it immediately off. (I did read the threads on NOT letting this engine idle. It's required reading if your just getting one of these super machines.) Anyway, when at idle the % Current Meter goes to 25%.

To summarize the problem: running at 60HZ the % Current Meter shows 0% even with a 50% plus load. And when it briefly idles at shutdown with no load the % Current Meter shows 25%.

Any one have suggestions on a starting point?

Thanks.

Isaac-1

I don't know if it is the same on your MEP-002, but on my MEP-701a the onboard outlets don't show on the amp meter, only loads connected to the output lugs show on the meter.

Ike

David Sims

loads connected to output lugs

I don't know if it is the same on your MEP-002, but on my MEP-701a the onboard outlets don't show on the amp meter, only loads connected to the output lugs show on the meter.

Ike

Isaac, On my 002 the space heaters plugged into the onboard outlet did register on the % Load guage. When I connected to my shop I did connect into the output lugs to provide single phase 220. That's when I noticed the % Load guage not working.

I might try the space heaters again using the onboard outlet and see if the % Load guage will register.

Thanks.

David Sims

% load guage

Isaac, On my 002 the space heaters plugged into the onboard outlet did register on the % Load guage. When I connected to my shop I did connect into the output lugs to provide single phase 220. That's when I noticed the % Load guage not working.

I might try the space heaters again using the onboard outlet and see if the % Load guage will register.

Thanks.
Saturday update: Using 1,500 watt and 1650 watt space heaters connected to the onboard outlet. Turned both heaters on at the same time and the % Load guage jumped from 0% to around 30 % with the generator running at 60 hz. Repeated the test several times and the results are the same.

Any ideas on why the % Load guage would work with the onboard outlet - but will not register at all when connected to a load using the output lugs?

Any ideas are welcome.

Isaac-1

Trace the wires back from the output breaker and make sure they are running through the CT loops. Someone may have rewired it at some point and forgot to run the new wires through the loops.

Ike