• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 Won't crank mystery--chapter 2.

Gudge2

I posted about a year ago and want to thank those who responded. Unfortunately the mystery continues. Short recap: I can't get it to crank, using the switch. I replaced the starter/solenoid. Still nothing. I checked the lock out switch, it is closed and I jumped it, several times. No change. As some suggested I checked the oil pressure switch. No issue there. I followed the power from the switch to the K3 relay. I've got power at the bottom terminal, non at the top. I can start the generator by either using a trigger switch with leads attached to to starter and solenoid or by taking the cover off K3 relay and pushing it to make contact.

Shouldn't K3 be getting power to both top and bottom lead and what would interfere with the top connection?

Next time I can I'll check connections to the diode behind K3 but I'm not hopeful that's the issue.

Any guidance? Thanks in advance.

glassk

taking the cover off K3 relay and pushing it to make contact.

try putting power to the COIL of K3---------------------------------------------------

Gudge2

If I jump the top and bottom terminals on K3 and hit the starter switch it will crank. When you say put power to K3 what procedure are you thinking? Is that whatyou had in mind?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
when you turn main switch to start, terminal 25 and 28 close. this gives power to coil of K1, which should close. you should now have power to hour meter while you hold it at start. at the same time terminals 25 and 27 close and power is applied through CR1 to the coil of K3. just start at the hour meter and then at CR1 and then coil of K3. it's pretty simple. only 2 things may be wrong. heavy dust in the master switch, is the unit very dusty?? it may take a jet of water and compressed air to clean the dust out if so, use the air to dry it out after cleaning. second, be absolutely sure the batteries are in the right polarity, then when you are positive, just bypass CR1 to see if that fixes it. CR1 is there to prevent starting when batteries are installed backwards.
tom