• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A no output

Craig A Tull

Hello all from a newbe
I picked up a 5kw genset this week and after re-installing the missing filters it runs fine but has no output, I found P60 and P57 (field wires) disconnected from TB3 5 and 6 indicating someone before me was trouble shooting the problem.
When I ohm out the wires I get nothing between P60 and P57 I do however get 55 ohms between P57 and ground, I see on the well faded schematic that there are fuses (F1 and F2) on the field but can not find them, anyone have a clue to as where they are???
I may have an expensive dud on my hands....
Thanks
Craig

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are not fuses, they are the field leads, F1 and F2

If you have no continuity between f1 and f2 you either have a broken wire, connector unplugged or bad, or an open field winding

Last edited:

Craig A Tull

I would like to trace out the field circuit, can anyone tell me which Cannon plug and what terminals on that plug? I am having trouble finding the schematic in the TMs
Thanks

Craig A Tull

I pulled the end bell and found a broken wire, fixed that and now I am reading about 32 ohms on the field, I can hold the start switch in the "flash" position and get voltage, I assume and would not be surprised that the broken and shorted wire fried the regulator, this should not be a big problem to trouble shoot and fix as component level repair is what I do for a living, it does look like more effort than should be necessary is required to remove the regulator, what were they thinking?
Thanks to all for the tips
Craig

Craig A Tull

Well I would not suspect another wiring issue as when the field lead (appeared to short and burn in-two) went the gen was finished, kaput, the pass transistor on the regulator tests bad, I have two of the three transistors in stock but of course not the pass transistor, hopefully I can get one tomorrow, is there a procedure for testing the regulator, if so I have not had any luck finding it.
Thanks
Craig

Triple Jim

There is, on page 6-12 of manual TM5-6115-585-34, but it takes a couple meters, a variable transformer, and T1 and T2 from the control box.

Triple Jim

I built one and would be happy to test yours for you, but I imagine shipping back and forth just for the test would not be worth it to you.

Craig A Tull

OK after getting the regulator on the bench at work and doing some component testing I don't see any problem there, I understand how the field is exited with the start switch through CR-2 but I am having a little trouble getting my mind around what roll CVT-1 is playing in all this, ok I can see how the secondaries marked X1 X2 and X3 going through a three phase full wave rectifier would produce field power, what I can not understand is the regulator "output" terminals 14 and 17 connected to the primaries marked C1 and C2 are doing, the "output" of the rectifier is DC and DC will not produce any voltage in the secondaries of the three transformers, I assume they are part of a transformer that also has the coils marked H1 through H6 and the DC from the regulator is some sort of "bucking" current?, I believe the issue lies somewhere in the CVT-1 and A-4 rectifier area. if the field wire shorted to ground as I suspect maybe it fried CVT-1 or the A-4 rectifiers, although it looks like the whole mess is not referenced to ground anywhere so I can't see how any current would flow to ground. I am having to learn more than I wanted to........

Triple Jim

CVT1 has control windings. By passing DC through them, the iron in the transformer can be made to saturate so that the transformer produces less current to be rectified and sent to the exciter field. To test CVT1, the rectifier bridge, and the associated wiring, you can disconnect terminal 14 of the regulator so that it doesn't supply the control current to CVT1. Then in a brief test run, the generator should put out well over normal voltage.

Craig A Tull

Yep two shorted diodes on the A4 board and a trace burned off the back, fortunately the three windings all ohm out the same, about 3.8 ohms so I think CVT1 is OK, Jim you also confirmed my assumption on the "bucking" current.
So it looks like I am on the back stretch on getting this thing to gen.
I have allot of diodes but I think I will wait and replace all of them tomorrow at work as its getting close to dinner time.
Craig

Craig A Tull

We are Genen now!! reg. working fine only a couple minor issues, the freq. meter is not working and the battery charging system is not working
Thanks Jim for the help!
Craig

storeman

Congrats! Sounds like the battery charging problem may lead to the stator or DC voltage regulator (or both). Stator leads should read 0.6 ohms, as I recall, when unit is off and leads disconnected. Should produce about 40 volts AC to the DC VR when unit is running.
Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks