• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003 siezed up

roady

Hey Guys,
I just acquired a MEP003 today and brought it home. I have drained the fuel added fresh fuel, checked oil and primed fuel filters. When I hit the switch to start I get a nice hard clunk and can see the flywheel jump but wont turn over. The batteries are straight out of my running Deuce and have no problem starting the Deuce. I even tried putting a socket and 3/8 drive ratchet through the hole in the shroud and tried to turn it over that way but no luck. I wasnt putting a bunch of torque on it as it is a smaller bolt and I dont want to break it. Has anyone experienced a problem like this?

I have downloaded all the PM's and searched the site. I will read some tonight and tomorrow before getting home to see if there are any troubleshooting tips for this issue. Just wanted to run this by the pros on here to see if any one has heard of this. The generator has 2500 hours on it according to the meter and is Green instead of Tan. I have seen some say to stay away from the Tan ones for fear of the sandy environment they may have come from.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

mistaken1

Obviously there could be major mechanical damage.

Does it move at all or is it locked up.

If it is locked up you could try soaking the cylinders with some oil to see if you can break them free by hand.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As much as I hate to say it, you might have to split the motor/gen head apart to see which is locked up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats why I hated to say it! I pulled a 400hz gen head off to put on the 60hz gen head. It was not fun getting them back together. If you only have yours apart, you have had it easy, wait till you try to put it back together.

derf

I'll make you a deal on my MEP-003A. I can't seem to find time to fool with it. It turns over, but I haven't had a chance to try turning it over with fuel, yet.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil into each injector, so it gets to the cylinders. Wait a day, then on the front of the blower cage, there is a 5/8ths nut, use a breaker bar and try to turn it slow and easy back and forth. I made a steel plate that bolts to the six smaller bolts around it and welded a really large nut to it, so I could put some more pressure to it. I was afraid of twisting off the 5/8 bolt.
The nut is under a plastic plug on the grill, should go clock-wise while trying to turn it. After I made the tool, it broke free right away. I think alot of them are stuck. I have feeling you are going to be taking the entire fuel system apart and DE-gumming it. Keep at it, there is alot of help here on the forum

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot, I have two tan ones and read that same thing. They didn't look bad at all, until I took off the control panel. Had 1/8th inch of sand over everything!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
roady, I had an MEP002 that did the exact same thing. Turned out to be the starter was binding up.

roady

Guys,

I will check into this more when I get home from work. You all have given me a little hope now as originally I thought it was a lost cause. Will update when I find out more. I did already try turning the 5/8 bolt but was worried about snapping it so i stopped until I checked here...

derf

You don't want to turn a 003 4 cylinder Diesel motor with a 5/8" headed bolt.
If it were mine I'd pull the starter and make sure it is doing what it is supposed to do.
Then I'd probably pull the injectors and inspect them. While they were out I'd squirt in some Marvel Mystery Oil, maybe 1/2 to 1 ounce or so in each cylinder. After letting it sit a while I'd try turning it over with the injectors out, first by hand with some kind of lever and then maybe with the starter, after successfully turning by hand.
If it has been sitting for any significant amount of time then a thorough cleaning and inspection of the fuel system is mandatory. I'd start with injectors and work back. If injectors are good and clean then look at injector pump. If it looks good then maybe feed it some clean, filtered fuel and see if it will start. If it starts then continue working back through filter systems and eventually to fuel tank.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys,

I will check into this more when I get home from work. You all have given me a little hope now as originally I thought it was a lost cause. Will update when I find out more. I did already try turning the 5/8 bolt but was worried about snapping it so i stopped until I checked here...
That's why I made a plate that bolts up to the three not six bolts around that 5/8 bolt. you have to drill a hole in the plate to go over the bolt head , then weld a huge nut to the middle of the plate. That way you can put alittle more snot on it without snapping. Make the three holes big enough to go over the nuts then bolt up nut and washers.

derf

Can you just thread in some bolts into the holes for the three not six bolt holes and use a lever between two of them?

If you take the fan cover off (with the injectors out) can you turn the motor over by hand using the fan?

Last edited:

roady

That's why I made a plate that bolts up to the three not six bolts around that 5/8 bolt. you have to drill a hole in the plate to go over the bolt head , then weld a huge nut to the middle of the plate. That way you can put alittle more snot on it without snapping. Make the three holes big enough to go over the nuts then bolt up nut and washers.
Well I made up the plate and tried turning it over with no luck. That SOB is really stuck..... I think I may try and take this generator and trailer back to where I got and try to get my money back. I got a pretty good relationship with were I got it. I am glad I didn't get it from GL or else I would be screwed for sure.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I made up the plate and tried turning it over with no luck. That SOB is really stuck..... I think I may try and take this generator and trailer back to where I got and try to get my money back. I got a pretty good relationship with were I got it. I am glad I didn't get it from GL or else I would be screwed for sure.
Did you remove the starter before you tried turning it?

roady

No the starter appears to be pretty new looking and when I hit the switch I can see the plunger of the solenoid moving in and out. I can also see the fan in between the genset and engine jump when I hit the starter. That tells me the starter is engaging and disengaging well. Maybe they will have another generator on hand and swap it out or give me my cash back.

What would this thing be worth if I had to scrap it?

rickf

To scrap it you would have to take it all apart or you will get screwed. The skid is aluminum, generator is a lot of copper and the engine is aluminum and steel. I would strip it down and sell the parts. The control panel alone is a pretty penny, then you have the injection pump, injectors, fuel tank. All good parts to sell. If you bought it privately then get your money back.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks