• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003 siezed up

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you start selling parts, I would do the Marvel oil trick in the injector hole and let it sit for a day or two. Your's could be really locked up, but most you hear about are just hung up from sitting. I removed the injector line and found a oil bottle with a small tube on it and squirted about a ounce in the hole. Let it sit and do the job. Good luck

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Derf, if you look at it, it's just the end of bolts with the nuts. they could be studs, I'm not sure. The plate holes have to be large enough to fit over the nuts, so you're putting pressure on all three studs. Hope that helps.

derf

Derf, if you look at it, it's just the end of bolts with the nuts. they could be studs, I'm not sure. The plate holes have to be large enough to fit over the nuts, so you're putting pressure on all three studs. Hope that helps.
That sounds right. I'm not near mine at the moment. I just wanted to elaborate on your idea of a lever for people who could drill a hole, but don't have welding apparatus.

Keith_J

No the starter appears to be pretty new looking and when I hit the switch I can see the plunger of the solenoid moving in and out. I can also see the fan in between the genset and engine jump when I hit the starter. That tells me the starter is engaging and disengaging well. Maybe they will have another generator on hand and swap it out or give me my cash back.

What would this thing be worth if I had to scrap it?

Hydrolocked. Take the glow plugs out and spin it over.

roady

That is how I did my plate with three large holes and a big 1 1/4 nut welded to it. Then with a 1/2 breaker bar and cheater pipe nothing budged.

I will try over the weekend with Mystery Oil and let you all no my plans with it.

Keith_J

Ever hear of wet stacking? That is accumulation of unburned fuel in the exhaust. If the engine is shut down after wet stacking, such half-burned fuel can drain back through open exhaust valves, hydrolocking the engine.

Before you chalk this generator up as a total loss, take all four glow plugs out and see if the engine will turn over.

sewerzuk

Hydrolocked. Take the glow plugs out and spin it over.
Agreed; this is a definite possibility. When you pull the injectors/glow plugs to put the MMO in, try turning it over. You may find that one of the cylinders is full of fuel, water, or something else...

derf

Ever hear of wet stacking? That is accumulation of unburned fuel in the exhaust. If the engine is shut down after wet stacking, such half-burned fuel can drain back through open exhaust valves, hydrolocking the engine.

Before you chalk this generator up as a total loss, take all four glow plugs out and see if the engine will turn over.
Can you accumulate enough liquid fuel by wetstacking to cause a hydrolock?
Even if you did, you should be able to turn the engine backward or it would kick back if you tried to start it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hydrolock(fromm wetstacking) is a stretch for an air cooled engine, that mostly is associated with liquid cooled motors.

roady

If I get a chance when I get home I will try and pull either a glow plug or injector and try turning. It is hard to believe that it is hydrolocked but with my luck anything is possiable.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cant fix it or it can not be fixed, the unit you got would be a good unit for parts for another unit you get.2cents

Isaac-1

It may just be lightly seized from moisture exposure, I bought a 30KW John Deere diesel powered generator off GL a few years ago turns out it was stored outdoors with just a trash bag (rotted away) over the exhaust, engine was seized and I drained over a gallon of water from the oil pan, thankfully the water line never got up too high inside (no real rust on the dip stick just light spotted) I filled the cylinders up with a mix of ATF and marvel mystery oil and let it sit a few days, and magically it worked, turned over and started. Ran rough for a couple of minutes, then cleared up, since then it has over a hundred hours added to the run clock.

Ike

roady

OK Guys,

I got one glow plug out and broke one glow plug so far. I will have to pull the shroud off tomorrow to get better access to the glow plugs and injectors. I may have to apply a little light heat to try and get the other two out and the broken one. I picked up two jugs of the Mystery Oil. looks like I may have the perfect weekend to work on this with hurricane Irene getting ready to roar down on us.....

roady

Alright stopped and talked to the guy I bought it from and he said he would give me my money back. I also told him about soaking the cylinders with the mystery oil. He told me to give it a try and if it doesnt work out to bring it back. That makes me happy that either way I shouldnt really lose nothing but time.

I pulled the upper shroud off today and pulled the injectors and poured the oil in. I will try later on tomorrow to see if it did anything for it. I included pictures for your viewing pleasure of the injectors and the generator....

Attachments

roady

Yes guys it appears to be rust to me also. I am sure that is why it will not budge.... I will probably be taking this one back and look for another one. I am still going to try and get the motor to spin over at this point. Kind of like a challenge to me now.

rickf

Even if you get it to spin the cylinders are going to have a lot of damage not to mention the rings. It would be low on compression and never run right.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks