• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep005 no power

Gordy1ID

1st off merry Christmas!
Guyfang .... You've helped me in the past And you've been a lifesaver. I have a new problem.

Gordy1ID

Hi there sir. I'm having a new problem and I'm hoping you're still around to guide me through it. I have an MEP005A. About a year ago it was running perfect. Producing voltage. I Switched it to a single phase. Still created voltage and everything worked fine.
Then a year later (today) I started the generator and it started great. I'm producing zero voltage. I tried to Excite the system by an introducing 12 V into the 120 V outlet. The only thing that happened was The small breaker next to the outlet popped. I repeated this over and over again with the same results. The contactor works fine. I took apart the exciter Box and nothing looked damage. I'm not sure what changed in the last year but any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!! Gordy

One more thing. I unplugged the J9 connectorAnd measured from the D to ground on the Machine while starting. 0 volts. I ordered a replacement s9 speed control.
I hope all is well. Thank you again

Guyfang

Staff member
1st off merry Christmas!
Guyfang .... You've helped me in the past And you've been a lifesaver. I have a new problem.

Gordy1ID

Hi there sir. I'm having a new problem and I'm hoping you're still around to guide me through it. I have an MEP005A. About a year ago it was running perfect. Producing voltage. I Switched it to a single phase. Still created voltage and everything worked fine.
Then a year later (today) I started the generator and it started great. I'm producing zero voltage. I tried to Excite the system by an introducing 12 V into the 120 V outlet. (This is urban legend, for this type of gen set) The only thing that happened was The small breaker next to the outlet popped. I repeated this over and over again with the same results. The contactor works fine. I took apart the exciter Box and nothing looked damage. I'm not sure what changed in the last year but any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!! Gordy

One more thing. I unplugged the J9 connectorAnd measured from the D to ground on the Machine while starting. 0 volts. I ordered a replacement s9 speed control.

So you have no ACV at the 120 volt outlet?

Find TB-16, its on the left side of the relay table, back door. It is a Terminal board, that has 4 wires on it. D11G and D12G from the static A11, (Static Exciter). F1 & F2 going to the G1, (main gen). Have someone start the gen set, and you measure at the F1 and F2 wires, what do you get? Nothing? Means your G1 is good.

Then, open the A27, (Special relay Box. Look at the A5 card in there. Is it burnt? Hot in places? The K5, Field flash relay in on the board. It has to energize to flash the fields. The K5 gets its signal from the S9 , (Speed Switch)

I know this is a PITA, but have someone start the set, and you measure at A5-2, (A5 card, terminal 2) for 24 VDC. If you do not have 24VDC, then K5 is not being turn on.

If K5 is not being turned on, do the same test as above, only measure at A5-13 for 24VDC. If you have no voltage there, the S9-A to C contacts are not being made, and S9 is bad.

Gordy1ID

1st off merry Christmas!

Gordy1ID

Then a year later (today) I started the generator and it started great. I'm producing zero voltage. I tried to Excite the system by an introducing 12 V into the 120 V outlet. (This is urban legend, for this type of gen set) The only thing that happened was The small breaker next to the outlet popped. I repeated this over and over again with the same results. The contactor works fine. I took apart the exciter Box and nothing looked damage. I'm not sure what changed in the last year but any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!! Gordy

So you have no ACV at the 120 volt outlet?

Find TB-16, its on the left side of the relay table, back door. It is a Terminal board, that has 4 wires on it. D11G and D12G from the static A11, (Static Exciter). F1 & F2 going to the G1, (main gen). Have someone start the gen set, and you measure at the F1 and F2 wires, what do you get? Nothing? Means your G1 is good.

Then, open the A27, (Special relay Box. Look at the A5 card in there. Is it burnt? Hot in places? The K5, Field flash relay in on the board. It has to energize to flash the fields. The K5 gets its signal from the S9 , (Speed Switch)

I know this is a PITA, but have someone start the set, and you measure at A5-2, (A5 card, terminal 2) for 24 VDC. If you do not have 24VDC, then K5 is not being turn on.

If K5 is not being turned on, do the same test as above, only measure at A5-13 for 24VDC. If you have no voltage there, the S9-A to C contacts are not being made, and S9 is bad.

Hope you had a good holiday. Happy New Year. And thank you for your reply!
I found the terminal board with the 4 wires Back connect the generator set to the static exciter. I checked AC and DC. between the terminals. And each terminal to ground. A couple of times I've got a 2 V read out but most of the time it was 0 volts. Every time I tested it I had somebody starting the generator. Thus meeting the generator is good.?

Where is the A27 special relay Box? Is Is it the Box in the center of the unit with probably a dozen cannon plugs coming off of it? I think that's the unit you're talking about.Do I have to take all the cannon plugs off to take the cover off?
Thank you again Gordy

Gordy1ID

I found the terminal board with the 4 wires Back connect the generator set to the static exciter. I checked AC and DC. between the terminals. And each terminal to ground. A couple of times I've got a 2 V read out but most of the time it was 0 volts. Every time I tested it I had somebody starting the generator. Thus meeting the generator is good.?

Where is the A27 special relay Box? Is Is it the Box in the center of the unit with probably a dozen cannon plugs coming off of it? I think that's the unit you're talking about.Do I have to take all the cannon plugs off to take the cover off?
Thank you again Gordy
Is this the 827 special relay?

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member

Where is the A27 special relay Box? Is Is it the Box in the center of the unit with probably a dozen cannon plugs coming off of it? (correct!) I think that's the unit you're talking about.Do I have to take all the cannon plugs off to take the cover off?
Thank you again Gordy

It is possible to do it with the plugs on. But you will hate me and yourself by the time its done. pull off the plugs, no need to mark them, as none of them can get mixed up. Then check out the insides, and take the 4 nuts off that hold the A5 card on. look at the card front and back. See if it has burn marks. If not put the card back in, hook up the plugs and tip the SP/relay box to the side. Leave the bottom part off. Then you can test. Its a PITA.

Gordy1ID

I found the terminal board with the 4 wires Back connect the generator set to the static exciter. I checked AC and DC. between the terminals. And each terminal to ground. A couple of times I've got a 2 V read out but most of the time it was 0 volts. Every tim7e I tested it I had somebody starting the generator. Thus meeting the generator is good.?

Where is the A27 special relay Box? Is Is it the Box in the center of the unit with probably a dozen cannon plugs coming off of it? (correct!) I think that's the unit you're talking about.Do I have to take all the cannon plugs off to take the cover off?
Thank you again Gordy

It is possible to do it with the plugs on. But you will hate me and yourself by the time its done. pull off the plugs, no need to mark them, as none of them can get mixed up. Then check out the insides, and take the 4 nuts off that hold the A5 card on. look at the card front and back. See if it has burn marks. If not put the card back in, hook up the plugs and tip the SP/relay box to the side. Leave the bottom part off. Then you can test. Its a PITA.

Thanks for all the great info! I took out the a-5 card and nothing was burnt or abnormal. I have then hooked up all the cannon connectors. I tested a5-2 To ground DC voltage. 0 Volts... I then tried a5-13 to ground dcv. I have 24 volts while starting. Is it still the S9 Speed switch? Thank you

Attachments

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is some info on the A5 Card that may be of some help in testing the A5 card.

Schematic of the A5 Card in the TM test setup. R3 is a 2.7K ohm resistor.
Schematic of Test Setup.jpg

Test Procedure using above test setup
Test Procedure Part A.jpg
Test Procedure Part B.jpg

Component layout of the A5 card
OEM Component Layout.jpg

Gordy1ID

It looks like you're thinking it's the a 5 card. I don't have a 400 Hz supply. And it is that a 400 Hz unit. Should I disconnect all the wires from the a 5 card and take it out To do the testing. Thank you again for your time sir.. You're a true asset

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wan't necessarily thinking it was the A5. Just wanted to provide the testing info should you or Guy think A5 could be the problem.
I'm not an expert on the 005 like @Guyfang is.

You can use 120 Volts 60Hz (power from house AC outlet) instead of 400 Hz to supply power to terminals 18 & 22.

Yes, you'd need to completely remove it from the genset before doing the above testing.

Guyfang

Staff member
Gordy,

Its normally the first place I look, as the card is and has been a trouble spot for the set. Could be the card, or the relays in it.

The last time we worked together, didn't we trouble shoot the S9?

Gordy1ID

Gordy,

Its normally the first place I look, as the card is and has been a trouble spot for the set. Could be the card, or the relays in it.

The last time we worked together, didn't we trouble shoot the S9?
That is great to know. Yes last time you worked with me it was the S9. Is still super grateful for that

Gordy1ID

Guy fang, sorry it's been a while since I contacted you last. I've been out of town with work. I actually bought a new relay box brand new with red plastic caps on it so I'm assuming the A5 card is good in there. I still have no power.
I checked TB-16 for ac voltage. When I was starting the generator the voltage climb to 10 volts and stayed there while I was holding the start switch. As soon as I Let Go it goes back down to zero.
I also put a brand new S9 switch on.
I am also checking the D pin to ground from j9 and have zero volts. Although it's a brand new S9 switch. And the A5 flashcard is new since the relay boxes brand new
I have a note that I also tested A&B pin for the j9 connector and had 0 volts.
Please help! As always I appreciate any help or guidance.
Thank you, Gordy

Guyfang

Staff member
Guy fang, sorry it's been a while since I contacted you last. I've been out of town with work. I actually bought a new relay box brand new with red plastic caps on it so I'm assuming the A5 card is good in there. I still have no power.
I checked TB-16 for ac voltage.
What you want to check for at TB-16 is DC voltage

When I was starting the generator the voltage climb to 10 volts and stayed there while I was holding the start switch. As soon as I Let Go it goes back down to zero.
I also put a brand new S9 switch on.
I am also checking the D pin to ground from j9 and have zero volts. Although it's a brand new S9 switch. And the A5 flashcard is new since the relay boxes brand new
I have a note that I also tested A&B pin for the j9 connector and had 0 volts.
Please help! As always I appreciate any help or guidance.
Thank you, Gordy

Gordy1ID

Guy Fang. Sorry it's been awhile and I'm hoping you can still help me. I have an mep-005a that's still not producing power. I have a brand new S9 switch in. And I've tried multiple others. I have a brand new special relay box. And I also got the solid state static Exciter replacement from Oshkosh.
I'm kind of hoping you can help me out and start over with me. If I check the d-pin for DC voltage on the j9 cannon plug I am reading zero volts while trying to start it. That is still the wire that energizes the Exciter with the new static Exciter system I have.
I checked TB 16 and have zero voltage when trying to start it. I believe you said that was good. That means my G1 is good. Does the d-pin on the J9 plug go directly to the S9 unit? Should I check if the S9 is getting power. Please help! Like I said I have many new parts. Thank you Gordy

Attachments

Gordy1ID

Guy Fang. Sorry it's been awhile and I'm hoping you can still help me. I have an mep-005a that's still not producing power. I have a brand new S9 switch in. And I've tried multiple others. I have a brand new special relay box. And I also got the solid state static Exciter replacement from Oshkosh.
I'm kind of hoping you can help me out and start over with me. If I check the d-pin for DC voltage on the j9 cannon plug I am reading zero volts while trying to start it. That is still the wire that energizes the Exciter with the new static Exciter system I have.
I checked TB 16 and have zero voltage when trying to start it. I believe you said that was good. That means my G1 is good. Does the d-pin on the J9 plug go directly to the S9 unit? Should I check if the S9 is getting power. Please help! Like I said I have many new parts. Thank you Gordy
I currently tested my special relay box again. I had zero DC volts the a5-2 and I had 24 volts at a5-13 while starting and holding the starting switch.

Guyfang

Staff member
Does the d-pin on the J9 plug go directly to the S9 unit? Should I check if the S9 is getting power. No. It goes through J9/P9 to J3/P3 on the special relay box. Then to the A5-2, through the K5 contacts.

Gordy1ID

What should my next step be? Is there any way to check the S9 switch? Like I said the S9 switch and the special relay box are brand new. Along with the new solid state static Exciter and voltage regulator. It sounds like something's not right between my speed switch and my D wire on j9 connector. I'm so appreciative for the help that you give. It seems like you're the only knowledgeable one I can find. And your blessing. Please help! I have my special relay box open in the generator. Is there anything I can check while starting to see if the speed switch( S9) is working?
As always I can't thank you enough

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks