• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep005 no power

Guyfang

Staff member
There is a test procedure in the Tm for testing the S9. But if you have tried several and new ones to boot. I would say that maybe you new exciter could be a problem. And I have no idea how it works.

Whats the part number on the new Special Relay Box? Its not a 400 hertz model is it?

Gordy1ID

30554 ASSY 72-2232
MFG 64327
I'm pretty sure it's the correct special really box. The static Exciter and voltage regulator are brand new and solid state and shouldn't have a problem. I should be getting a signal through my d-pin J 9 connector when starting correct? Because I'm not getting any voltage from my d-pin. I believe if I get power to my D-pin the static Exciter would work. I did buy it from Oshkosh and it's been tested and proven.
My D-pin should have voltage when I start the machine I believe correct? I'm not sure if it's DC or AC voltage though. But I definitely don't have any voltage there. Just trying to verify I should have power at the d-pin when starting. Thank you Gordy any other test procedures you can think of would be great. Thank you a ton! Gordy

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Thats the right Special Relay box. I have never seen on wired in red wire. Who rewired it? Or did it come that way?

You wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's the correct special really box. The static Exciter and voltage regulator are brand new and solid state and shouldn't have a problem. I should be getting a signal through my d-pin J 9 connector when starting correct? (Correct. You should be getting 24 VDC.) Because I'm not getting any voltage from my d-pin. I believe if I get power to my D-pin the static Exciter would work. I did buy it from Oshkosh and it's been tested and proven.
My D-pin should have voltage when I start the machine I believe correct? (Yes) I'm not sure if it's DC or AC voltage though. But I definitely don't have any voltage there. Just trying to verify I should have power at the d-pin when starting. Thank you Gordy any other test procedures you can think of would be great. Thank you a ton! Gordy

This would be how the A11 would normally send voltage to the G1 (after the inital excitation came to the G1 from the S9 IF, there was a A11 in the set. But your solid state rig is an unknown to me. If the S9 and special relay box are good, then all it leaves is your new exciter/volt regulator.
1682631278336.png

Gordy1ID

Thats the right Special Relay box. I have never seen on wired in red wire. Who rewired it? Or did it come that way?

You wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's the correct special really box. The static Exciter and voltage regulator are brand new and solid state and shouldn't have a problem. I should be getting a signal through my d-pin J 9 connector when starting correct? (Correct. You should be getting 24 VDC.) Because I'm not getting any voltage from my d-pin. I believe if I get power to my D-pin the static Exciter would work. I did buy it from Oshkosh and it's been tested and proven.
My D-pin should have voltage when I start the machine I believe correct? (Yes) I'm not sure if it's DC or AC voltage though. But I definitely don't have any voltage there. Just trying to verify I should have power at the d-pin when starting. Thank you Gordy any other test procedures you can think of would be great. Thank you a ton! Gordy

This would be how the A11 would normally send voltage to the G1 (after the inital excitation came to the G1 from the S9 IF, there was a A11 in the set. But your solid state rig is an unknown to me. If the S9 and special relay box are good, then all it leaves is your new exciter/volt regulator.
View attachment 896080
That is how that special relay box came. I thought it was out also but you never know what the military. My d-pin definitely does not have any power. I have a hand drawn schematic for my new static Exciter / voltage regulator. Should the S9 switch have 24 volts going to the special relay box for static excite? I think I need to check my S9 to make sure that sending power. And once I know that's good I need to retest my special relay box. They're both new but you never know. Is there a terminal board or a connection I can check inside my special relay box to make sure the S9 is working? Since I already have it tipped up on its side and opened up. Thank you again Gordy

1682978272436.png

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What should my next step be? Is there any way to check the S9 switch? Like I said the S9 switch and the special relay box are brand new. Along with the new solid state static Exciter and voltage regulator. It sounds like something's not right between my speed switch and my D wire on j9 connector.
IMG_6652.jpeg

I would step back, take a deep breath and then look at the DC Wiring Diagram
You removed J9 D and are trying to get
24V, but if you follow above diagram then you will see that J9 D connects to P9 D and becomes wire D12B which goes to A5-2 and on A5 through a Normally open contact of K5 (which is activated by S9-1) and from the NO Com of K5 contact to A5-15 which connects to chassis Ground.
This is the low side switch of A11 excitation circuit.
Now you look at the Oshkosh drawing look at the Relais and it shows 30.

Now I would call oshkosh tech support

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the interested reader:

Bosch started to use a numbering system in Automobile 12V circuits beginning in 1948/49 when they changed to 12V from 6V systems in cars. This became then the German Norm I think by 1951/52 which all German Automotive Manufacturer and OEM’s followed:

IMG_6653.jpeg

@Gordy1ID, since we do not know what Oshkosh actually send you, we cannot help you.

if they send you a DIN compliant relay, then the wiring diagram they published will not work.

Last edited:

Gordy1ID

That was a wire diagram from Oshkosh? High speed. I agree that you need to call the tech support. But first you need to recheck all your "reconnections" to make sure you have it right.
Yeah that was directly from Oshkosh. Crazy! And their tech support is an older guy that says it should work. Do you know what relay style it should be? From the schematic? I will definitely contact Oshkosh first thing Monday morning. I think generator guy retired.

But I've also had two different static exciters. The normal old school kind. My problem was always not getting voltage from my D pin to the static Exciter. That's my first and main problem. I can put in one of the old static exciters. But that doesn't fix my original problem. And that is there's a problem between the S9 switch, A5 flash card, and the d pin on the static Exciter. I'm trying to figure out the terminals and the special relay box to check. I'm pretty sure that's the diagram you sent me earlier? A lot of that is foreign to me. Is there a terminal I can check inside the special relay box to see if my S9 is outputting the correct voltage if any? I apologize I'm a p i t a. Do the Canon plugs ever have problems? Besides corrosion/ oxidation. Thanks again Gordy

Gordy1ID

That was a wire diagram from Oshkosh? High speed. I agree that you need to call the tech support. But first you need to recheck all your "reconnections" to make sure you have it right.
Yeah that was directly from Oshkosh. Crazy! And their tech support is an older guy that says it should work. Do you know what relay style it should be? From the schematic? I will definitely contact Oshkosh first thing Monday morning. I think generator guy retired.

But I've also had two different static exciters. The normal old school kind. My problem was always not getting voltage from my D pin to the static Exciter. That's my first and main problem. I can put in one of the old static exciters. But that doesn't fix my original problem. And that is there's a problem between the S9 switch, A5 flash card, and the d pin on the static Exciter. I'm hoping I can check my

Attachments

Gordy1ID

But I've also had two different static exciters. The normal old school kind. My problem was always not getting voltage from my D pin to the static Exciter. That's my first and main problem. I can put in one of the old static exciters. But that doesn't fix my original problem. And that is there's a problem between the S9 switch, A5 flash card, and the d pin on the static Exciter. I'm hoping I can check my

Attachments

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My problem was always not getting voltage from my D pin to the static Exciter.
@Gordy1ID,
24V is only coming out of PIN C on J9
PIN D is the chassis ground
Follow J9C via P9C to the left of A11 in the wiring diagram and you will wind up on CB1 via another Normal Open set of contacts on K5 and a resistor R 35

the relay you show in your picture is a DIN compliant relay.

since I do not know if the automatic voltage regulator and the SS500 automatic flashing unit are custom made for Oshkosh or not, I could not tell you on how to connect the DIN compliant relay you received with this kit.
If the AVR and the SS500 are exactly the same as the ones you can buy on Amazon / EBay, meaning they were not especially made for Oshkosh, then their wiring diagram is incorrect for the relay you received.

Sincerely Peter

Last edited:

Gordy1ID

Hi guy fang. Hope it all is well. I checked my a5-13 terminal and I have 24 volts DC when starting. That means I have a good S9 switch I believe.
Then I checked a5-2 and that does not have 24 volts when I go to start it. That means my A5 is not being turned on. Correct?
Of course that means my D wire in j9 is not activating. Does the power from the j9 D terminal come from the static Exciter or does it come from outside of the static Exciter to the Exciter? Thank you!
And I agree there's something Goofy with this relay from Oshkosh. Very aggravated. Not returning my emails of course.

Guyfang

Staff member
S9-1, pin C is what closes the K5. The S9, pins A&B are the start function. At a certain speed, S9-1 reverses, and sent 24 VDC from pin A to pin C of J-37. That's initial excitation. And that's what you are missing. The A11 only comes into play AFTER the initial excitation.

Gordy1ID

S9-1, pin C is what closes the K5. The S9, pins A&B are the start function. At a certain speed, S9-1 reverses, and sent 24 VDC from pin A to pin C of J-37. That's initial excitation. And that's what you are missing. The A11 only comes into play AFTER the initial excitation.
Actually there's turmeric ginger
So if I have power on Terminal a5-13 my speed switch should be good correct? Or could my S9 switch be messed up?
It shouldn't be my A5 flash card, should it?
The D terminal from a11 goes to a5-2. Does the static Exciter power the D terminal in j9 conn.
My question is it does the D terminal in the j9 connector get power from the A5 flashcard or from the static Exciter? I believe it gets power from the static Exciter. Correct?
Thank you Mr guyfang!!!
If we get this figured out I'll send you a couple of gift cards for some food. The least I can do
Gordy

Gordy1ID

View attachment 896125

I would step back, take a deep breath and then look at the DC Wiring Diagram
You removed J9 D and are trying to get
24V, but if you follow above diagram then you will see that J9 D connects to P9 D and becomes wire D12B which goes to A5-2 and on A5 through a Normally open contact of K5 (which is activated by S9-1) and from the NO Com of K5 contact to A5-15 which connects to chassis Ground.
This is the low side switch of A11 excitation circuit.
Now you look at the Oshkosh drawing look at the Relais and it shows 30.

Now I would call oshkosh tech support
Hi Peapvp
Thank you for your help and I'm really trying to figure this out. Does the power for that D-pin at j9 come from the A5-2 card or does the 24 volt DC on The D-pin come from the static Exciter? Thank you very much, Gordy

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Peapvp
Thank you for your help and I'm really trying to figure this out. Does the power for that D-pin at j9 come from the A5-2 card or does the 24 volt DC on The D-pin come from the static Exciter? Thank you very much, Gordy
@Gordy1ID the D Pin is switched to chassis ground through A5
That’s what I have been trying to explain to you.
The C pin has the 24V switched through A5
Both pins C and D are switched through A5 when the S9 switch starts the excitation simultaneously.
I am not sure on how you came up with the idea that the Pin D would have any 24V at any time?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Gordy1ID
This is the test procedure for a A11 unit, including excitation

Here you can see that 24V from A5 come in on PIN J9C and GND on PIN J9D which connect the exciter coil to J9R (GND) and J9S (24V)

A11 full.jpg

Gordy1ID

@Gordy1ID the D Pin is switched to chassis ground through A5
That’s what I have been trying to explain to you.
The C pin has the 24V switched through A5
Both pins C and D are switched through A5 when the S9 switch starts the excitation simultaneously.
I am not sure on how you came up with the idea that the Pin D would have any 24V at any time?
The D pin on the j9 connector is supposed to have 24 volts. That's what guy Fang told me.
And Oshkosh drawings/ schematics. I'm not happy with oshkosh. But I trust guyfang. Where does the c-pin go after it leaves the exciter? A 5-1 or a 5-3?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks