• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP831 Starter

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm working on a 831 that needs a starter. I have a couple of parts machines and can pull one if necessary but I was going to see if anyone has a source for one that isn't $350.

I can find the 12v versions of the starter all day for like $60 but the 24v version is stupid expensive.

I get that its more of a niche thing but someone has to know of a resource that doesn't feel like a ripoff.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to see if I can repair this thing. The wire was jacked up sideways and twisted between the starter and solenoid which looks to have pulled all the slack out of it. I think that is the root cause of the problem.

The wire looks plenty long to get back on the tab and reach the solenoid without being pulled tight.

2023-09-09 10.00.21 (Large).jpg

2023-09-09 10.02.24 (Large).jpg

The starter otherwise looks to have very little wear on it. Sucks to trash it.

2023-09-09 10.02.24 (Large).jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well crap. I've confirmed the wire is brazed and not soldered on there. I don't have the appropriate torch setup for that. :(

2Pbfeet

Sorry!

Local welding shop? Easy to do with a torch, or better yet a TIG welder. It might have been silver soldered. (High melting point and high conductivity.)

I would be tempted to replace the wire if you can get to the other end...

All the best,

2Pbfeet

2Pbfeet

I thought about using the TIG. I'll need to practice a bit to get my heat control dialed in. I have some brazing rods.
High frequency arc starts help, but copper is pretty easy; it just sucks heat out. I would try a few practice runs on a similar sized wire first. If your brazing rods need flux, I would use a non corrosive flux given how close this is to electrical parts that might care...
FWIW: https://www.amazon.com/Gen-Rep-Silver-Solder-9-oz/dp/B000PSB6KU

All the best,

2Pbfeet

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silver brazing (Silfoss) would be a good choice, and with Copper wire/bussbar no flux is necessary. It will do fine with a MAPP gas torch from a good hardware store.

Clean up both surfaces and go for it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks