• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP831 Starter

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm working on a 831 that needs a starter. I have a couple of parts machines and can pull one if necessary but I was going to see if anyone has a source for one that isn't $350.

I can find the 12v versions of the starter all day for like $60 but the 24v version is stupid expensive.

I get that its more of a niche thing but someone has to know of a resource that doesn't feel like a ripoff.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to see if I can repair this thing. The wire was jacked up sideways and twisted between the starter and solenoid which looks to have pulled all the slack out of it. I think that is the root cause of the problem.

The wire looks plenty long to get back on the tab and reach the solenoid without being pulled tight.

2023-09-09 10.00.21 (Large).jpg

2023-09-09 10.02.24 (Large).jpg

The starter otherwise looks to have very little wear on it. Sucks to trash it.

2023-09-09 10.02.24 (Large).jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well crap. I've confirmed the wire is brazed and not soldered on there. I don't have the appropriate torch setup for that. :(

2Pbfeet

Sorry!

Local welding shop? Easy to do with a torch, or better yet a TIG welder. It might have been silver soldered. (High melting point and high conductivity.)

I would be tempted to replace the wire if you can get to the other end...

All the best,

2Pbfeet

2Pbfeet

I thought about using the TIG. I'll need to practice a bit to get my heat control dialed in. I have some brazing rods.
High frequency arc starts help, but copper is pretty easy; it just sucks heat out. I would try a few practice runs on a similar sized wire first. If your brazing rods need flux, I would use a non corrosive flux given how close this is to electrical parts that might care...
FWIW: https://www.amazon.com/Gen-Rep-Silver-Solder-9-oz/dp/B000PSB6KU

All the best,

2Pbfeet

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silver brazing (Silfoss) would be a good choice, and with Copper wire/bussbar no flux is necessary. It will do fine with a MAPP gas torch from a good hardware store.

Clean up both surfaces and go for it!