• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep831a conversion time!!

DD58

Good morning to all. A while ago more like the begging of this year I picked up from kloppk a conversion kit to remove the inverter and use a standard generator head. I finally got around to it resting the Mecca alt s16w gen head. It showed up last night and nice and wrapped up. Over the next few weeks I’m going to do a detailed documentation on how to install the conversion kit. Should be great fun. So hold tight and as soon as I start I’ll post pictures and a full write up on it!!!!! Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Update time. Here’s some of the photos from today. I’m heading to my company to make a quick puller to get the pma off. Used a label maker on all the leads. Tagged and bagged all the bolts.

The supervisor dog seems to approve of your work and that the label work is good.

:cool:

DD58

Here’s some more pics got the pma off. Unboxed the alternator but it’s missing the j609b mounting plate so I’m dead in the water. Already sent the email to the Mecc rep I got it from.

DD58

Can you update with total cost when you are done as well pls.
Not a problem. Don’t remember what I paid for the kit but I’ll dig around and find it. The gen head was 475 shipped. The gen set I picked up for 400 or 500 a few years ago.

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a problem. Don’t remember what I paid for the kit but I’ll dig around and find it. The gen head was 475 shipped. The gen set I picked up for 400 or 500 a few years ago.

I'd be curious also to see the harmonic distortion after this is done, generally single cylinder generators produce very dirty power (since the speed can only be maintained once every 4 revolutions) which is why inverter generators are nice because they are very clean power, if you happen to have a meter to grab those results as well I would be interested!

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mecc Alte should have included the J609B adaptor plate. Knuckleheads. Several have purchased from them and all received the plate.
Wow the gen head price has gone up! It was about 350 shipped last time I bought one from them a 2-3 years ago.

Be sure to connect the wire harness leads supplied to TB6 BEFORE dropping the engine/gen head back in.

DD58

I'd be curious also to see the harmonic distortion after this is done, generally single cylinder generators produce very dirty power (since the speed can only be maintained once every 4 revolutions) which is why inverter generators are nice because they are very clean power, if you happen to have a meter to grab those results as well I would be interested!
I don’t but I can grab a cheap oscilloscope off eBay or Amazon. Unfortunately this is the second inverter on this unit. There getting harder and harder to come across and more expensive. I’m still looking into what I can do to clean up the 4.2kw from the genset.

DD58

Mecc Alte should have included the J609B adaptor plate. Knuckleheads. Several have purchased from them and all received the plate.
Wow the gen head price has gone up! It was about 350 shipped last time I bought one from them a 2-3 years ago.

Be sure to connect the wire harness leads supplied to TB6 BEFORE dropping the engine/gen head back in.
I was kinda shocked. I did the whole flip the box and shake it hopping it would fall out of Narnia. Lmao. I’ll definitely connect the lead to tb6 before I drop it back in.

I’m going to use this time to redo the pull cord and the cover gasket. As well as clean everything up and replace some dry rotted hoses.

DD58

Update time. Mecc alte is sending the proper mounting plate out either today or tomorrow. I’ll start the wiring and controller install this up and coming weekend. I’m hoping to have this all going by next week. It looks like this hurricane season is going to be a long road so I want everything in tip top shape.

Icesythe7

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update time. Mecc alte is sending the proper mounting plate out either today or tomorrow. I’ll start the wiring and controller install this up and coming weekend. I’m hoping to have this all going by next week. It looks like this hurricane season is going to be a long road so I want everything in tip top shape.

Love seeing genset work like this thanks for taking the time to document and post pics, hopefully we can squeeze a few youtube vids out of you by the time this is done!

DD58

Love seeing genset work like this thanks for taking the time to document and post pics, hopefully we can squeeze a few youtube vids out of you by the time this is done!
It’s a lot of fun working on this project!! Unfortunately I don’t do social media or YouTube. This is as far a social media as I go. Makes life so much more simpler.

dav5

It’s a lot of fun working on this project!! Unfortunately I don’t do social media or YouTube. This is as far a social media as I go. Makes life so much more simpler.

I think you will be very happy with your conversion. I was totally frustrated with various issues on my MEP831A until I converted it using Kurt's kit. It now runs faultlessly especially when moisture is a problem which seemed to be 50% of the time. I have been reading the critiques of how clean the power is with the new gen head. Since I am getting on in years and don't have much more than a laptop and a smart TV to worry about I'm not concerned. I can't help but think there is a very very small percentage of generator users that would have such sensitive electronics that are going to be damaged. For everyone else the conversion is a huge improvement.

DD58

I think you will be very happy with your conversion. I was totally frustrated with various issues on my MEP831A until I converted it using Kurt's kit. It now runs faultlessly especially when moisture is a problem which seemed to be 50% of the time. I have been reading the critiques of how clean the power is with the new gen head. Since I am getting on in years and don't have much more than a laptop and a smart TV to worry about I'm not concerned. I can't help but think there is a very very small percentage of generator users that would have such sensitive electronics that are going to be damaged. For everyone else the conversion is a huge improvement.
I know I will. I’m happy I’ll have 4.2kw instead of the 3 and it’s giving me some ideas about building my own 8kw unit out of a 3 cylinder kabota diesel I have laying in my shop.

DD58

Quick update: Mecc alte send the mounting plate real great bunch of guys over there. Got it rough mounted and removed the washer and lock washer from the actuator upper bolt for clearance. I did blue loctite the 4 bolts in the mounting flange and I’m going to also blue loctite the 4 bolts and the main center bolt so I don’t have to worry about it coming lose under vibration.

On the engine side of things I found a Yanmar dealer about 40 minutes from me and put an order in for a full gasket set as well as a new pull cord the rubber fan car dampener the fan case bushings and rubber isolators. I’m debating on doing a full rebuild before I put it all back together but I’m not sure yet. I might just buy and new insulator wrap for the exhaust I already out a new bellow in it.

For this weekend this list is as fallows
1: Reroute the wires and install new controller.
2: Remove all fuel lines and re plumb with new lines fittings and stainless hose clamps.
3: pull fuel tank and clean out.
4: Install new inline fuel filters on both pumps.
5: check and or change temp sensor for both fans.
6: install stainless steel screen over exhaust fan hole for inverter.

Here’s a quick pic of the gen head mounted!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks