• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep831a conversion time!!

DD58

Update time: spent some time today on the 831. Got the gen head mounted and tightened down. Pulled the fuel take and found an old red rag in it. Cleaned it out and cleaned out the bottom of the unit.

Went to 2 parts stores looking for fuel line and they both now sell by the inch. Yeah no. So later today off to tractor supply to get it.

Hears some pics from today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dav5

Update time: spent some time today on the 831. Got the gen head mounted and tightened down. Pulled the fuel take and found an old red rag in it. Cleaned it out and cleaned out the bottom of the unit.

Went to 2 parts stores looking for fuel line and they both now sell by the inch. Yeah no. So later today off to tractor supply to get it.

Hears some pics from today.

I found the remnants of a paper shop towel clogging the oil screen on my engine. I cleaned the screen about 6 or 7 times and changed the oil 3 times before I got it cleaned out. It made me think that these generators are a PITA to the troops and maybe they sabotage them.

DD58

I found the remnants of a paper shop towel clogging the oil screen on my engine. I cleaned the screen about 6 or 7 times and changed the oil 3 times before I got it cleaned out. It made me think that these generators are a PITA to the troops and maybe they sabotage them.
Could very well have been. I do see why they hated these things. Can’t wait to get it finished and not have to worry anymore.

DD58

Update time: cleaned the fuel tank out was so nasty. Got new fuel lines plumbed in. Got the new inline fuel filter attached. Cleaned the whole bottom of the case out. Finally put the tank back in and hooked up.

Moving on to the electrical portion got the j7 plug moved over to the side of the cabinet. Tomorrow I’ll get the new controller wired in. Stay tuned everyone!!

DD58

Update time: got the controller installed and routed the wires into the engine bay. Got the magnetic contactor mounted had to do it differently because I still have the old style. Hooked up tb6 and reconnected my fuel pumps and anything I can before the engine goes in.

Time for a tech tip. For the grommet on the alternator head, use a pair of needle nose pliers. You can expand the grommet large enough to get it over the connector head and on the split loom. Here’s som photos

DD58

Update time: it’s been a real tough day. It was 90 out at 11 am. I got a few more things done. All the wires are in palace and tucked it. I got the connector wired in. Had to get a larger soldering iron my poor 40 watt was just to small. Yayaya new toys I mean tools. I got the transformer mounted and run. I’m also including a photo of what I did with the old magnetic contractor to get it to work.

Alls that’s left is to get the gaskets in this week and do some work on the motor. I have a new pull cord coming as well as front cover gasket and dampeners.

The only issue now is the motor with the new gen head is much heavier than before. I was able to pull the motor and put it on the bench by my self. Now I fear I can’t lol. Time to have my pup I mean my supervisor help me. Lol!!

I’m going to install a small 24volt orange dome light on the top of the set so I know when the contactor is engaged or disengaged. We’re the gen set is going to sit it would be nice so be able to look out the window and see what’s going on.

DD58

Update time. I had a lovely package from Yanmar on Friday. I ended up getting the fan over grommets the spacer bushing for the grommet. Fan case gasket and a pull cord. The motor went in after I pulled the front part of the generator case off. Pup decided to not help and just lay there while I picked up and had to put in the motor and alternator. Let me say it got to be close to 110lbs.

Once it was bolted it I did some house keeping in the wires. Made sure everything was in a good spot and had been loomed in. Double checked all my plugs and hose clamps. Last I went back over Kloppk directions checks that all the wires were in there correct location.

Went and got some new diesel at the gas station and added in some fuel treatment. Helps for the winter and is a lubricant for the engine.

Fired it up and it ran really well. Have a few minor issue tho. B2 fan runs when the set I super stink also having some issues with rpm fluctuations. Those to iron out some of the issue before the front panel and cover go back.

Let me just say Kloppk is a great asset. I’ve had a few question along the way and he’s been a joy to talk to. I’ve learned a lot about the mep831 unit and how in-depth things work.

Now the only thing I didn’t do was set the governor. I ordered a new fluke meter and it won’t be here till Wednesday so for now just using my older fluke to test L1 L2 N.

Here’s some photos!!

2Pbfeet

Sweet! You must be very happy.

I admit to a small smile when I saw the Racor and its mounting. I really like them. They just work.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

DD58

Sweet! You must be very happy.

I admit to a small smile when I saw the Racor and its mounting. I really like them. They just work.

All the best,

2Pbfeet
I am!!!! I will end up adding some more 3mm sound deadening mat to the inside of it just to quiet it down some more. But all in all a great time. I’m thinking maybe a repaint but let’s see what mother nature throws us the fall. Not sure what I’m store for next week in new england. Might get nasty.

Yeah I found a nib on eBay for 25 bucks free shipping had to jump on it. You should have seen the travesty of a filter that came with it. Napa hack job. Lol

2Pbfeet

I am!!!! I will end up adding some more 3mm sound deadening mat to the inside of it just to quiet it down some more. But all in all a great time. I’m thinking maybe a repaint but let’s see what mother nature throws us the fall. Not sure what I’m store for next week in new england. Might get nasty.

Yeah I found a nib on eBay for 25 bucks free shipping had to jump on it. You should have seen the travesty of a filter that came with it. Napa hack job. Lol

Yes, Lee looks like it could be a doozy, and might graze New England. Stay safe!

I would be curious how the deadening mat changes the dB, and the pitch.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

DD58

I think this will be the last update on this thread.

So today my new fluke came in which measures hz I tested it against my house voltage which showed 59.9. Got the genset dialed into 59.8-60.0hz running between 118 to 122 volts.

I did find that the fault detector panel is going bad. If I unplug it I don’t have an issue with the engine throttling down to a low idle. So that will be the next thing to order. The last few things coming in the end of the week are the thermostat for the 2 fans. Found them for 7 bucks each and a new 7.5 amp dc breaker.

Now that I know I’m good I’m going to install my ground rod and run a few tests to see how it holds a load.

Here’s some pics of the volt meter.

dav5

I think this will be the last update on this thread.

So today my new fluke came in which measures hz I tested it against my house voltage which showed 59.9. Got the genset dialed into 59.8-60.0hz running between 118 to 122 volts.

I did find that the fault detector panel is going bad. If I unplug it I don’t have an issue with the engine throttling down to a low idle. So that will be the next thing to order. The last few things coming in the end of the week are the thermostat for the 2 fans. Found them for 7 bucks each and a new 7.5 amp dc breaker.

Now that I know I’m good I’m going to install my ground rod and run a few tests to see how it holds a load.

Here’s some pics of the volt meter.

Very Nice Job and description. I removed and reinstalled the new genhead/engine without taking the panel off. It was a real PITA . I had to angle it and slide it in . It did not go in smoothly. If I ever change my 2nd 831A I will do it the way you did it.

DD58

Very Nice Job and description. I removed and reinstalled the new genhead/engine without taking the panel off. It was a real PITA . I had to angle it and slide it in . It did not go in smoothly. If I ever change my 2nd 831A I will do it the way you did it.
Thanks for that. It nice to be able to help others. And unfortunately I learn by seeing. I can’t read something and do it, I have to see it or experience it.
I didn’t have any help putting it in. So I figured if I have to man handle it then I wanted it to be as easy as possible. And let me say it was not light. Lol

DD58

Got some more parts in for the genset. Had an issues with the fan staying on so I replaced the thermostat on both of the. The one behind the exhaust is an 85 and the one on the hood is a 110. I also found a 7.5 amp dc breaker mine was all corroded. The last few things I’m going to do is find a fuel gage that isn’t all hazy. And I’m debating on painting the unit. My only issue with that is the info placards will look like crap. Not sure how far I want to take this one.

DD58

Ok ok so maybe this is going to turn into a never ending update thread.

Small update. Didn’t like having the bat terminals not cover so I got some terminal cover put on. Also had a sheet of some electrical isolating material left over from a job at work. Asked the boss if I could have a sheet. I figured it would be a good thing to just cover the top of the batteries with. Works like a charm.

One really big update for all of you!! I might make a separate post but for all the guys that have helped with this project I’m now an expecting father!!!! This will be my first child besides my dog. I just found out a few days ago!!! Now eventually I’ll have a helper for all my projects!!! And maybe just maybe I can squeak a lmtv or duce in my collection! I got to build a 1978 dodge power wagon truck as a kid with my dad. And I can’t wait to have my kid help me build our own.

2Pbfeet

@DD58 Congratulations on your kid to be!

I love those old Dodge Powerwagons. They are pretty darn amazing. I got to take a pair somewhere quite special many moons ago. Given this project, I am sure that you will find a suitable project with your kid to be in the future.

Nice battery set up. Is that green material ABS?

All the best,

2Pbfeet

DD58

@DD58 Congratulations on your kid to be!

I love those old Dodge Powerwagons. They are pretty darn amazing. I got to take a pair somewhere quite special many moons ago. Given this project, I am sure that you will find a suitable project with your kid to be in the future.

Nice battery set up. Is that green material ABS?

All the best,

2Pbfeet
Thanks!! They are great trucks. I know it was an extra cab with a 440 big block and a 4 speed. If I’m remembering correctly it was a beautiful dark cherry with a 6 inch lift. If I come across a picture I’ll definitely post it.

The battery cover is HDPE. I will be doing a job at work with 12x12 sheets of GPO-3 and I already ordered an extra sheet for my self. It will stand up the the heat a lot better then HDPE.

cbisson

Ok ok so maybe this is going to turn into a never ending update thread.

Small update. Didn’t like having the bat terminals not cover so I got some terminal cover put on. Also had a sheet of some electrical isolating material left over from a job at work. Asked the boss if I could have a sheet. I figured it would be a good thing to just cover the top of the batteries with. Works like a charm.

One really big update for all of you!! I might make a separate post but for all the guys that have helped with this project I’m now an expecting father!!!! This will be my first child besides my dog. I just found out a few days ago!!! Now eventually I’ll have a helper for all my projects!!! And maybe just maybe I can squeak a lmtv or duce in my collection! I got to build a 1978 dodge power wagon truck as a kid with my dad. And I can’t wait to have my kid help me build our own.

Congrats on the inbound kid. Dodge called them "club cabs" back in the day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks