• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal Magnets's M211 teardown and future rebuild.

USMC 00-08

I wonder why some of those main well tubes are different? The one on the left is what is in my truck. The one on the right came in a rebuild kit. The one on the right looks like what you have.

100_2249.jpg

SturmTyger380

Those are called Emulsion Tubes. Mine looks like the one on the right. Are the small holes in the one on the left the same size as the one on the right? Alan

USMC 00-08

I was wrong. The one with the crimped end is what is in my carburetor too. The other one came with a rebuild kit and the holes in it are smaller. I have not used the ones from the rebuild kit. The originals are marked "31" on top. Sorry for the confusion.

0730161904.jpg0730161904a.jpg0730161905.jpg

M135 carb repair.

Well guy's I finally got some time to finish the carb repair, i used a new valve seal from I think a 5.9 Cummins engine, and trimmed it to fit the pump well. I ruined a few in the process, but the results are well worth the effort, as you will see. I modified the original pump enough to fit the "new" pump rubber. Even IF it lasts only a few years they are VERY easy to get, and worth the work to make and install.

https://youtu.be/z849UNeIYzU

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds like a lot of good RPM going to waste.....get in er' and drive it man. lol. I guess I'm pulling my valve cover again and re-setting valves. Mine's not that quiet. Great job!
Thanks for the tip on the 5.9 accelerator pump seal.....I'll help USMC-008 add it to the 'parts list' by offering to help with the parts list......Did that piece come with a part number???

In the past I'd have my head under the hood and run the throttle up on all my trucks. One day, while running down the highway in my 72' chev, a fan-blade came off of my BB402 and shot straight up threw the hood. I don't REV any motor without having a firewall between my throat and moving engine parts anymore. It was a freak detonation but I don't let my buddies lean over the rad/fan and run the throttle up on anything without telling that story over and over until they quit. Safety first.

20160726_204604.jpg This is what you need to modify very slightly.20160804_224032.jpg This needs some modifying to fit right. this shows the top, side and underneath of the seal.

Hello!, and thanks for the advice........I've got a confession to make toward safety under the hood. I lost the tip of my "ring" finger to the turbo of 5.9 Cummins diesel. It was at work on Friday the thirteenth, of April 2012. It's a long story, but the finger is shorter. Now, back to the engine stuff. In the maintenance manual, it states to warm the engine up to operating temp, then set the valves. DON"T DO THAT. ALWAYS set the valves at room temp.(cold) You will get more consistent results this way, and not get burnt on hot parts. I do this a lot at work, so it's easier for me. Rule #2... take your time.....don't get in a rush, and when you set valves, get the same "feel" from each rocker, not some tighter, and some looser. Don't get frustrated, if it takes 10 minutes to set one valve, that's ok. Find #1 T.D.C., by watching the rockers on #6. When they BOTH start to move, you are at #1 TDC. Mark the crank pulley and the tip of the timing pointer. Now this I'm saying from memory, so remember that. Set the valves on #1., then the Intake on #2, and the exhaust on #3, and the Intake #4 and Exhaust #5. Mark them with something to show your work. NOW, roll the engine over ONE full turn, in the direction of engine rotation. The rockers on #1 will be moving this time. Set both valves on #6, and the rest that need setting. IF your rocker arm tips are badly worn, NOTHING you adjust them to will quiet them. You have to remove the rocker shaft, dress the rocker tips to a flat surface, BUT not go through the hard surface treatment, or they wear even faster. Then you will be setting to a true surface, not one with a recess in it, that fools you. The difference in how that engine will run will make you smile, trust me. As for the 5.9 Cummins valve seal, I THINK it's from a 5.9, I had put all the stray seals in a bag at work, from engines we do, but we send the heads out, so the seals just don't get used. I can give dimensions and better pictures if you want. I slightly modified the original pump piece, and did the rest to the seal, but it works fine. Would you guy's like me to do another carb, and show everything, now that I have something to work with? I have two more engines, and both need work on the carbs.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you guy's like me to do another carb, and show everything, now that I have something to work with? I have two more engines, and both need work on the carbs.
Awesome info.....not the finger......I cringe when I think of not being able to play guitar every night.....the valve info. I set mine warm, not hot so thought that's what I did wrong but I'm going to tweak it again.

Yes on the carb boss!!! I still have one on the shelf so I can definitely use some direction and motorvation.....see what I did there. Motorvation.

Another carb "rebuild"

I will do a couple of videos in the very near future, one on the carb, the other on setting the valves on an engine. I have an engine all set to run in a stand, and can use it as an example. The first will be an engine run as is, then the carb tear down and reassembly and run. The second will be an engine run as is, and then the valve set and compare. That will be a lot of fun for me, and still get something done. Later, I'll mount my other engine and trans assembly and do all that again. But that engine has a prestone in exhaust leak and I fear I put a water pump bolt in the wrong hole and cracked a cylinder, or it has a bad head gasket. So that one is going to come apart this winter. The engine ran very well, and started great, but a small amount of "steam" came from the exhaust, and I could smell prestone in the exhaust.If you guy's want, I can make that engine a complete tear down and examination and rebuild video. I would later on do a transmission video. I have no fear of doing a trans, I do far bigger and more complex ones at work. Just say the word and it's a go........And as for you playing guitar, that's something I always wanted to do, just couldn't justify the expense if I couldn't manage it. So keep playing, and good luck.

I would like to see all of those videos made when you have time.
Well, your wish will be answered. Today i spent cleaning the basement,( I was MOTORVATED, get it.....) and making room so I can work. I'll be making the videos this week, or sooner. The transmission I have, will need to be mounted in a stand to work on first. So stay tuned, things are getting there.

Carb video

If you need any further info, let me know, and later this week hopefully I'll have made the valve set video. I think it took longer to put the video up, than the work on the carb took. But i'm getting used to it, but need more practice.

I just realised that I didn't go completely through the carb, just the accelerator pump, so I'll do that with the last carb I have, which does need a complete tear down, because it is very hard to work the throttle. I'll soon be able to take one apart in my sleep!

Last edited:
Trout?

Hello everybody. The "lake", is just an illusion. That day I took that picture, the Restigouche River was as flat calm as a pane of glass, giving it a "lake" look. I'm not a fisherman but I think trout are fresh water fish. The river is salt water, and has Salmon, lobster, crab, and a couple hundred golf balls, (mom used to practice with old balls). Go on Google maps, and look up Restigouche River in N.B. Then look for Point La Nim. This is my neighbourhood. Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf used to fish on this river to relax, and other famous people fish here in the summer. In winter, they fish for smelts. A really nice guy dropped off some deuce parts last night, so I have some more spares. I traded him a couple of International cabs for all this and a transfer case and 1 more wheel. I'll be posting some more stuff later.

20161121_153836.jpg20161121_153824.jpg

Another Ahab

The river is salt water, and has Salmon, lobster, crab, and a couple hundred golf balls, (mom used to practice with old balls). Go on Google maps, and look up Restigouche River in N.B. Then look for Point La Nim. This is my neighbourhood. Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf used to fish on this river to relax, and other famous people fish here in the summer. In winter, they fish for smelts.
You live in a mighty fine "neighborhood"! :beer:

Last edited:

Section8

Mr. Metal Magnet!!
I received your letter yesterday. That's was totally UN necessary. I was quite happy to help a fellow out. It didn't even cost half of what you sent.
If I feel I am not going to need a part I am very happy to pass it on to someone who can. Parts are getting short on supply so we do what we can.
Thank you very much for your kindness.
If you need something else send me a pm and I will see what I can do.
Again, thank you! Merry Christmas and keep warm put there in the east.

Recent things

Hello everyone,
just had a few moments to think, so I wanted to post some progress on the M-135. It had been flooding like an open pit mine for some while now, and I finally got a few minutes to tear down the carb to see what's going on. Found some dirt stuck in the seat that wasn't doing any good, and some rust which must have come from disturbing things last time. I had an old needle valve from a 1950 6 cyl International engine, it had a Holley 1920 model carb, and I stole what was useful and tossed the rest due to severe corrosion. The needle fits the seat perfectly, but is spring loaded in the end that contacts the float arm. I just removed the spring completely, and tried it to see if it would work. I set the float height, and buttoned it up and turned her over. Works fine. Here is the pictures to show what I'm talking about. I'll do another video soon of the cold start to check if all is ok.
20161204_154533.jpg

This next picture, is of the collection of axles I put upstairs to be able to work on this winter. I plan to strip down 3 complete housings and rebuild them for the spring.That's the plan anyway. 20161204_154220.jpg

Attachments

8 axles??!!

What inspired you to go "wholesale" like that?
All those axles, are spares I got off 1 truck that was cut in half, and
some from a buddy who, like me can't stand to let stuff go to waste. I made a trade for 3 housings, and transfercase, plus some other stuff. I scrounge whatever I can, where ever I can. Oh, and 3 housings are from my 207. I still have some on a frame in the back yard! My always over active mind has schemed up yet another project. I bid on, and won a 1976 3 ton G.M.C fire tanker. It has a 366 with a 5 speed, and 2 speed diff,with 15.000 miles on it, and the rest of the unit is in really good shape for the year. I was thinking of going 4x4 with mil axles........maybe rear steer????????? Hummmmmmmmmm

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks