• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal Magnets's M211 teardown and future rebuild.

1944mb

Looks obviously to be manufactured 11 of 1944, so the good thing about that is it locates that down to a vehicle used during that period. read a little on CCKW's and I don't know enough to speak intelligently about what belongs with a cckw and what doesn't. I think the good thing is we have a model and date stamped on the transmission and an arsenal rebuild tag that would place this into a military vehicle at the end of WWII. So happy hunting on what it fits... prehaps a 1 1/2 ton? Don't know enough about the early stuff. I did find a cross to a Clark transmission and a couple threads that said these two were the same transmission. I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but Here is the cross info [FONT=&quot]Clark 5-speed is a Model 204VO - 274; The Warner Gear Div. is Model AS-3 T-93. [/FONT]

Build date.

Hello everybody, got some great news today, I went back to talk to the deuce owner, and was able to make a deal to buy the truck. Also included in the deal was a fresh rebuilt water pump, which was why he stopped running it. The numbers on the frame had me thrown for awhile, but some good advice set me straight real fast. The build date is showing as 1-11-56, and is supposed to be 1 of the few last trucks ever built. I have in mind to mount the water pump, get it to run and test run around the yard to see what it runs like with a standard. I will also show what was done to make it a standard. What I saw today, was a 1977 chevy 1 ton or 1/2 ton four speed(not five as I had said earlier), with a sixties looking bellhousing, with a 12 inch later flywheel and a 12 volt starter that has nothing but a stud sticking out of it, like a tractor starter. An old crossmember from a sixty's chev 1/2 ton holds it all up. A hand made driveshaft hooks up the transfercase, and a long lever reverses the case manually. Looks good all around, and has no leaks at this time. Will show more this weekend coming. 20170604_130740_HDR.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A great big huge congratulations on the most recent purchase. I know we're all looking forward to detailed pictures of the drive-train. When you mentioned Clark it kinda tied back with Firefox's photos of the Clark tag on his trans. I'm slowly catching on! The STARTER would need to match the diameter and tooth count of the 4 speed ring gear and if it doesn't, we'd need a different starter too.

I just got off the phone with a Mattech and we need to check the frame/ data plate serial numbers. I see 1069 CFR's from March 16 to November 1 so I was estimating 133.625 / month but something went nuts in November...... 1291 CFR's exist between your November 1 1956 plate (4783) and the NOV 22 1956 M135 that is on Gizmo (6074).

The November 11, Remembrance Day plate I was talking about may be in the hand of Gizmo's Dad, Mattech, and he recalls the number 05004. So that means 221 in the first 10 days of November and 1070 in the next 10 days....that seems odd.

Schpeculation hurts the schphincter so I'm going to schlide over to the Can Mil red green guru's faceoff site and ask more questions.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frara jaka, frara jaka, dor may voo, dor may voo, sellamenatino, ding dang dong.

That's the only French I know. You've been gone gone gone you've been gone so long! Hope that trip had a camera along with it!!

I don't know how long we talked about M133's, Memorial Day Deuces, Deuces on a guys birthday, how many deuces a guy needs to take in a year.........but just when we said we've never seen an M133....One shows up on another thread.

When you get back safe and you have a view of the lake, we'll tell you all about it.

Latest m135

Got back ok, have video's of the whole thing plus a quick look at the truck as parked in the yard underneath looking at the transmission. Been busy with company so can't post things just yet. But soon.

M-135 and other stuff

Hello everyone, just getting things done here, did some travelling today and stopped by to see the former owners son that had the old M-211 pole setter truck and see if I could get a phone number to the current owner. In the process this guy showed me a Volvo Laplander 4x4 truck he had. It's something like a Mercedes Unimog sort of truck. It's for sale for $800.00 He has other parts and manual(s?) for it. Also, he mentioned he has a manual for the old ww2 C.M.P. trucks. It's in pristine condition, so I bought it right away.The other deuce video's are coming, just getting them edited.20170612_195747_HDR.jpg20170612_195757_HDR.jpg20170612_151927.jpg
Also, his son has a few Iltis 4x4 "jeeps", one of which I took a shot of for here.20170612_153226.jpg

USMC 00-08

That's a good looking truck with a lot of potential. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that manual transmission works with the truck.

Thanks for the videos!!

Ok, what's next???

I gave up trying to edit the videos and just posted them as is,because I have little time and much on the go, so my apologies to everyone who has a comment about the filming. It's a new phone, and just getting used to it. I'll soon be getting to installing the rebuilt water pump that came with the truck and see about getting the carb un stuck and jury rig a fuel can to get things starting. I can't wait to see just what a difference the standard trans is compared to the auto. I will have better video coming with these attempts, in detail that will be clear. If there is something you want to see in greater detail, just ask. Thanks for your patience.

P.S,.........I have been busy tracking down another deuce, the pole setter truck that was originally at the place I now reside. I has been "hacked to death" and is only suitable for spares as it will be impossible to restore as is in it's current state. BUT, it has a 20.000 lb winch with a pto that I want to install on the M135 I just got. I will update progress on that project as things progress.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those raw videos are just awesome. Pure in the true form of fine video and you sir, are a treat to listen to. I haven't heard you swear yet!

I'm just sitting here eating popcorn hoping we get lucky enough to take it for a spin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks