• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metro Detroit Mechanic Needed

pmorin42

I would highly recommend learning how to wrench on your own rig or be prepared to shell out some big dollars to get it reliable. It isn't super difficult work but lots of hours for any technician.
That's actually the main reason why I decided to get this truck. I wanted something simple and bare bones. At this point I do not feel confident enough to perform my own work, but in the future as I learn more I will take advantage.

pmorin42

Oh, and I do not drive mine in the winter. The salt will eventually eat it up and I don't want that. It sits all winter with a full tank of fuel so if I needed it in an emergency, its ready and on call. :)
I have been told repeatedly not to drive this truck in the winter, but that was my primary intention. I want something robust enough to handle it and provide many years of use. If I rust proof, undercoat, and monitor the rust, do you think I can meet my goals? Is there anybody you know that does drive in the winter?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know anybody that drives them in the winter off hand. Not saying you cant, but the rust worms are hard to keep away. I like spraying used oil on things to keep the rust away. spray the chassis and stuff or if you have a ream main oil seal that has a slow leak, that works good as well as long as its not a fast leak. haha! they are pretty much a mid 80's chevy truck, so they will last about the same. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that I drive now and it does great in the winter. For the most part I don't need 4 wheel drive in the winter and a good set of snow tires will do the job just fine. We don't get that much snow here compared to where I use to live in NY. Driving skill in the winter is the most important, vehicle is second. For most people here in Michigan, its the opposite and it shows. They love crashing them up out here, LOVE IT! haha! Each persons needs are different and Ill support what ever you like. Corrosion and rust will eventually win the battle.

What exactly are your goals for the truck? Proper PM and fixing small problems before the become bigger problems is a big part of keeping the trucks in good operating condition.

cucvrus

The rust is already there. It is like fighting an out of control fire at this point. I see them rust parked inside. Humidity will activate the chemicals that have already leeched into the seams. These old Chevy's were rusty from day 1. Best thing you can do is just keep staying head of it. It will be an up hill fight at this point. Rust never sleeps. On a quiet night I can hear the CUCV's rusting.

pmorin42

I dont know anybody that drives them in the winter off hand. Not saying you cant, but the rust worms are hard to keep away. I like spraying used oil on things to keep the rust away. spray the chassis and stuff or if you have a ream main oil seal that has a slow leak, that works good as well as long as its not a fast leak. haha! they are pretty much a mid 80's chevy truck, so they will last about the same. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that I drive now and it does great in the winter. For the most part I don't need 4 wheel drive in the winter and a good set of snow tires will do the job just fine. We don't get that much snow here compared to where I use to live in NY. Driving skill in the winter is the most important, vehicle is second. For most people here in Michigan, its the opposite and it shows. They love crashing them up out here, LOVE IT! haha! Each persons needs are different and Ill support what ever you like. Corrosion and rust will eventually win the battle.

What exactly are your goals for the truck? Proper PM and fixing small problems before the become bigger problems is a big part of keeping the trucks in good operating condition.
I agree, driving skills are more important than 4WD. I grew up driving a 4Cyl RWD Manual S10 in Michigan. That truck was horrible in the winter, but loads of fun.

I understand rust will win the battle, I just want to prolong the battle.

My goals are simple. I want to drive this truck daily and maintain it myself.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, driving skills are more important than 4WD. I grew up driving a 4Cyl RWD Manual S10 in Michigan. That truck was horrible in the winter, but loads of fun.

I understand rust will win the battle, I just want to prolong the battle.

My goals are simple. I want to drive this truck daily and maintain it myself.
Sounds good. Well, I'll do what I can to help. I'll PM you my phone number. I'll do what I can to help you meet your goals. Just an FYI also, I have a towbar and bought 3/4" feet as well just in case I could help some CUCV or Hummer if they needed it. I don't say that to be pessimistic or degrading at all, but its just good to know you have a plan B if you need it. I a local buddy 74M35A2 who is in livonia with a M925A2 if I ever needed a tow. Its good to know you have support people if you need them in an emergency.

Your attitude is in the right spot for this project and I think you will do well with it. Things I have learned having a deuce is there are lots of truck out there but how nice do you want it? It all takes time but you do what you can to stay on top of PMCS. Checking fluid levels and making sure they are full and not low is big. I had a leak y transfer case seal and thought I had more oil in it than i did and ended up taking out a bearing. The leak got worse and I didn't notice it. So if it leaks, try to fix it or at least check the oil level often.

Another thing I have learned from my dad even, is that fixing small things can make a vehicle that much nicer. Small things like say you have a bulb out, you put a new bulb in. Or if you have worn door hinges... you replace the bushings/pins and then when the drivers door closes nice, you appreciate it more. All the little things can add up and make it nice to drive. Its fun as long as you can finance a lot of it and keep it going. After a while, it doesn't cost a bunch of money and seems like a fun hobby and you will have a good truck that you are proud of.

74M35A2

I hate to pee in the pool, but I may have made just about the opposite choice for a MI winter beater. An old diesel V8 that is tired and hard to start in this summer temp, is going to be very resistant to start in the winter months. You can use a block heater and all that, but that could get costly. Also a diesel does not generate a lot of heat, so your heater will take a long while to warm up, and to fill that big cab with warm air. Use brand new batteries, good battery cables, make sure alternator is working well, and your glow plug system is working correctly. You could add an intake grid heater from a Dodge 5.9L to also help if it does not have one, or even an ether start system that dispenses a safe amount to help fire the engine when really cold, or maybe it already has it. Not both at same time though. That grill guard is awesome. You'll need it to defend yourself on I-696.

Last edited:

rustystud

The rust is already there. It is like fighting an out of control fire at this point. I see them rust parked inside. Humidity will activate the chemicals that have already leeched into the seams. These old Chevy's were rusty from day 1. Best thing you can do is just keep staying head of it. It will be an up hill fight at this point. Rust never sleeps. On a quiet night I can hear the CUCV's rusting.
Sad to say "cucvrus" your not exaggerating !!! Whenever I am under my truck I am constantly wire brushing rust and painting primer on it ! I've used almost every rust product out there and the only thing that really works is a grinder and primer !

Skinny

That's actually the main reason why I decided to get this truck. I wanted something simple and bare bones. At this point I do not feel confident enough to perform my own work, but in the future as I learn more I will take advantage.
These trucks are super easy to learn how to wrench on. Your biggest challenges outside of basic mechanics is learning the diesel fuel system/glow plugs and 24v charging system. Both of which are basic in nature but probably something you will have to read up on before tackling. For the most part a CUCV can be fixed with the most basic of tools and know how. The stickies are your friend and tons of info on here to start with. Another piece of advice I would offer up is make sure your starting, charging, glow plug, and fuel systems have been gone through before taking the truck off the reservation. If one of these systems fail, they all have gremlins that can burn the truck down or do damage if you try to start the truck.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to pee in the pool, but I may have made just about the opposite choice for a MI winter beater. An old diesel V8 that is tired and hard to start in this summer temp, is going to be very resistant to start in the winter months. You can use a block heater and all that, but that could get costly. Also a diesel does not generate a lot of heat, so your heater will take a long while to warm up, and to fill that big cab with warm air. Use brand new batteries, good battery cables, make sure alternator is working well, and your glow plug system is working correctly. You could add an intake grid heater from a Dodge 5.9L to also help if it does not have one, or even an ether start system that dispenses a safe amount to help fire the engine when really cold, or maybe it already has it. Not both at same time though. That grill guard is awesome. You'll need it to defend yourself on I-696.
I dont think you are supposed to use either witha CUCV because of the glow plugs. It could cause engine damage i guess.

I agree with the brush guard and 696. That place is the wild west. Wear your battle helmet!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been told repeatedly not to drive this truck in the winter, but that was my primary intention. I want something robust enough to handle it and provide many years of use. If I rust proof, undercoat, and monitor the rust, do you think I can meet my goals? Is there anybody you know that does drive in the winter?
These are a blast in the winter......when there is snow. Drive it and enjoy it. Mine isn't a daily driver, but I do take it (and my deuce) out in significant snowfalls. If your heater and cooling system is working properly, you'll have plenty of heat. May need to put some type of cover in front of your grille to keep it at operating temp in the winter.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks