• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michelin 365 XZL Very Bad Tire Shake

trider

Did all the tires have air and valve cores in them when you bought them or were they flat? I bought a bunch of 395's on FMTV wheels from GL last year than had no valve cores in them. About half of them had water inside and had to be taken off the wheel and dried. May not be your problem but worth checking at least.
They all had at least 50 PSI in them when I got them and when I rolled them around my shop before installing them I am pretty sure there is no liquid in them.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have shaved some tires the redneck way. But not on a deuce.
Chain it to something then while parked over concrete jack it up, put it in gear, and let it down slowly. It will "shave" the tire/s. Not saying it's a good idea or even suggesting you should do it. ;-)
I love a good laugh in the morning. What does a Redneck say just before he dies? Yaall watch this.

Last edited:

Hoefler

I put 395 Goodyears on my A3. At first it road terrible-little shake and real bouncy. I just kept driving it out of the shake zone and found it smoothed out. The issue may have been from the seating of the tires on the rims.
Was thinking on how your wheels are centered on the hubs-are the wheel adapters on inside out? Are the bevels in the mounting holes mating to your lug nuts. Check to see if the wheel is running concentric to hub-jack the truck up and spin the wheel-does it run concentric?
Pete

trider

This sounds like a tire run out problem. The tires may not be seated true on the wheels. If you take a measurement from the wheel to a mold line on the side wall of the tire at say 12, 6 then 9 and 3 o’clock are the amounts the same? Sometimes if the tires are mounted with not enough lube they with seat unevenly. If that happens there be an uneven ride, I have a tractor that has two tires that need to have the beads broken and reseated that does just what you describe.
I just checked this and measured to a mold line on the tire and the measurements are all the same on all four tires/wheels.

trider

I put 395 Goodyears on my A3. At first it road terrible-little shake and real bouncy. I just kept driving it out of the shake zone and found it smoothed out. The issue may have been from the seating of the tires on the rims.
Was thinking on how your wheels are centered on the hubs-are the wheel adapters on inside out? Are the bevels in the mounting holes mating to your lug nuts. Check to see if the wheel is running concentric to hub-jack the truck up and spin the wheel-does it run concentric?
Pete
The adapter plates are not on inside out and yes I made sure when I switched the rear tires to the front that all the bevels mated up to the lug nuts. I have not had time to jack the truck up and spin them again to see if the wheel is running concentric to the hub.

K5Cruz

Had any luck with this? I keep getting asked if I bobbed mine when people see yours in town. My old man called saying he was waving at one the other day until he realized it was missing an axle! I'm having a similar problem with a set of tires on a pickup, I'm curious to see if you get it figured out.

trider

No luck yet. I took it to a uy who can spin balance them on the truck to see what he could do with them. He told me that 3 of the 4 tire or wheels were out of round so bad they would not balance. He said he cant tell for sure but thinks it is the tires. He broke the bead on them and reseated the tires and they still shake but maybe not quite as bad. The 30-40 MPH shake is still very bad to the point if you let go of the wheel the truck will drive straight but the steering wheels shakes back and fourth 2-3 inches and feels very unsafe. I wish I still had my stock wheels and tires to put back on it so at least I could drive it. Its a nice looking ride to sit in my shop and collect dust. I have been out of town working the last two weeks and was just informed I leave again tomorrow for two weeks so I have no time to work on it to try and figure it out.

Carlo

I have had this happen and the tire man dismounted the tire and spun it. I still had a little bounce so he deflated it and moved the tire half a turn on the rim and it cured it 90%.

JimmyThompson

Out of curiosity... You say you guys are running 35-PSI in your 395 XZL's??? Mine state 120-PSI as max operating pressure. Do we have different tires or is there an advantage running at 35-PSI?

welldigger

Out of curiosity... You say you guys are running 35-PSI in your 395 XZL's??? Mine state 120-PSI as max operating pressure. Do we have different tires or is there an advantage running at 35-PSI?
Max psi is just that. Max psi. You guage the air pressure by the amount of weight and number of axles. The deuce just isn't that heavy compared to what the 395s are designed to handle. For me running 30-35 psi gives full contact of the tread and the best handling.

JimmyThompson

Ah'... so running 35-PSI will also reduce the overall weight of the tire as opposed to running 120-PSI... TOTALLY KIDDING, I couldn't resist!!! Basically it smoothens/softens the ride?

welldigger

Basically. You can also run a tire over inflated for the weight it is carrying. Radials are supposed to bulge a bit at the bottom.

welldigger

Here is what my truck looks like with 35 psi in front and 30 psi in the rears. As you can see they have just a bit of a bulge.uploadfromtaptalk1401140455342.jpguploadfromtaptalk1401140501321.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That is MAX operating pressure, when you are at maximum capacity of the tire. Running less psi will not hurt a thing. Figure out how much your truck weighs and look at the sidewall of the tire. I bet it can support way more weight than the truck could even haul, mine can.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What you want to do, to find the best inflation is run a chalk line across your tire. Drive it around the block, and check the chalk line. If the middle is worn off but not the sides, decrease your air pressure. Keep doing this till the line disappears evenly. Now you have the correct tire pressure(for even wear). You can air down more for a smoother ride, but it will not wear evenly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks