• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michigan Registration

AUTDI

Purchased a M35A2 a couple months ago, needs some work, and I'm in the middle of that now.

Question I have is how to ultimately register it. Right now it has farm plates, but when I went to register it, I was given the option of log truck or farm truck, or something else that they couldn't really explain, nothing completely covers what I will use it for. Meaning, I'll haul things for the farm, but I also heat with wood, so I'll haul firewood back to the house from various tree service companies that are happy to dispose of "junk" wood. I also need to bring supplies back to the property as well.

I only haul things to my property, from wherever I need to pick supplies up, I know I don't want a commercial plate, I don't haul other peoples things, and I don't use the deuce in a business at all. But since I need to haul firewood, and say dirt/compost/non-logs as well, neither plate covers what I need to do.

Anyone have a suggestion?:confused:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the only "legal" way to use it for "everything" is to get GVW plates, which means $500 per year. Historic plates are only $30 but they have restrictions, just like your farm plates.

AUTDI

Still reading through the maze of legal doublespeak on the SOS website, so I will eventually find the answer to this but:

Does changing to a GVW plate require a CDL? I'm guessing it changes the insurance to commercial as well, something my insurance agent suggested I avoid if possible.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically 3 types of registrations to chose from for a Deuce in Michigan:
Histoiric/Authentic - definately cheap, has the most restrictions.
Log Farm plate - not cheap, distance restriction.
GVW plate - they start at 24,000lb and around $500 and go up from there based upon elected weight. The GVW plate is used for both personal and commercial.
The Log / Farm plate will cover you, there is a distance from the farm limit of 150 miles (IIRC).
GVW plates will cover you for all uses, a GVW plate is not "commercial only".
a CDL in Michigan is a Commercial Drivers License if you are not commercial you don't need it.

AUTDI

Thanks Bob.

I'll focus on reading up on the GVW plate.

The problem with the farm plate is carrying firewood could be considered logs, which isn't what the log plate intended, as it states log plates are for hauling from the forest to a processing location. A log plate clearly doesn't work, as it only allows you to carry logs between forest and plant. This is where the folks at the SOS were unable to say what a farm plate truck could carry. They punted and said it was an enforcement issue, which I complained if they couldn't tell me what I could carry with the plate, how was I supposed to pick. It sounds like I'll end up with a GVW plate to be sure I can do whatever I need with the truck, I'll have to see what it does to the insurance. Right now I'm paying about $250 a year for insurance on it, granted it is not restored, it's just a functional way to move things right now. I'll eventually get to putting a power steering kit on and painting it, and make it look nice in addition to being functional, but that's not this year.

pyro1955

The log farm plate is not the forestry plate. It requires you to log all miles and if you exceed the restrictions
You can be charged. The farm plate means just farm use which hauling firewood to the farm should be accepta le
Just do not haul for others. As long as you are not abusing it and you do not upset local authorities should be fine

brian griffin

I have a Jeep/Kiaser and also insured it more to the jeep side and also classic insured for 14K we agreed to from the pics.. I have a standard truck plate. just put a new sticker on the plate for $35 and drive it all of the time.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

I have a Jeep/Kiaser and also insured it more to the jeep side and also classic insured for 14K we agreed to from the pics.. I have a standard truck plate. just put a new sticker on the plate for $35 and drive it all of the time.
This is what I'm trying to do with mine. The first SOS I went to refused to write it as anything but a commercial plate. I now have the plate number of a Michigan M35A2 that has a regular truck plate, so when I go back in a month or so, I will use that as my example at a different SOS branch of how I want mine plated.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I'm trying to do with mine. The first SOS I went to refused to write it as anything but a commercial plate. I now have the plate number of a Michigan M35A2 that has a regular truck plate, so when I go back in a month or so, I will use that as my example at a different SOS branch of how I want mine plated.
Or when you give them the plate number they will revolk the other guys plate.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No plate number given and mine is bobbed. So based on that it is a 4X4 jeep. Tons of 4X4 jeeps running jeeps out there.
Also as it is under 12K... my dully is weighted @ 12.97K
Being bobbed makes a difference , the 3rd axel puts in it a GVW plate for use with no restrictions

brian griffin

put a small load of wood in the back strap it down and........ you are golden. then you are hauling always . I happen to be a State police officer and you, will be ok.

Heath_h49008

They plate a trucks over 8000 all the time as something other than commercial, and the SOS states that only vehicles used for business require commercial plates. All I can do is try.

If that doesn't work I'll get historic plates and they can get even less cash.

I'm getting sick of being milked by these parasites.

http://services.sos.state.mi.us/platefee/calculator.aspx

The difference seems to be if they call it a jeep/SUV or a "pick-up/van"... Jeep=$125... Pickup = $560

Same weight, same everything.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a link to SOS ;
DF] Commercial Trucks Not Registered by Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)

www.michigan.gov/.../nongvwcommercialtrucks_19222_7.pdf

From the link ;
Commercial Trucks Not Registered by Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)
– Privately-owned pickup trucks and vans over 8,000 lbs. (empty weight) not used commercially. – Passenger vehicles used commercially to transport goods, wares, or merchandise. – Privately-owned tractors used to tow a recreational trailer or trailer coach (not used for profit). – Stake trucks, utility trucks, and panel trucks 8,000 lbs. or less and not used to tow a vehicle.​
– Commercial trucks designed and used to tow a mobile home.

The fee for a 14,000 pound truck is still $500.

brian griffin

Here is a link to SOS ;
DF] Commercial Trucks Not Registered by Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)

www.michigan.gov/.../nongvwcommercialtrucks_19222_7.pdf

From the link ;
Commercial Trucks Not Registered by Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)
– Privately-owned pickup trucks and vans over 8,000 lbs. (empty weight) not used commercially. – Passenger vehicles used commercially to transport goods, wares, or merchandise. – Privately-owned tractors used to tow a recreational trailer or trailer coach (not used for profit). – Stake trucks, utility trucks, and panel trucks 8,000 lbs. or less and not used to tow a vehicle.​
– Commercial trucks designed and used to tow a mobile home.

The fee for a 14,000 pound truck is still $500.
Yep that is right. . my pic-up weight in's @ within 13,00 pounds. Used to be 12,000 as they to go by weight now I get boned on my motor home! in. AZ it cost 55$..........

AUTDI

Seems the SOS can't understand that an individual would own something like this for non-commercial purposes. I got mine as an alternative to an old, high miles pickup, at a lower price, and I get a workout driving it. Once I get finished fixing some of the nagging issues with it, that's how I'll use it, as a pickup. Perhaps time to write to my legislator, see if common sense can be applied and a non-commercial weight plate be available like other states. I know the GVW plate doesn't imply commercial, except for the pricing of the plate being completely out of line with other plates. I don't mind paying more due to the increased weight and impact on the roads, but when an truck or SUV is 5-6000lbs, and mine weighed in at 13,500lbs, I don't mind paying around 2x the SUV, but 4-5x is a bit much.

brian griffin

Seems the SOS can't understand that an individual would own something like this for non-commercial purposes. I got mine as an alternative to an old, high miles pickup, at a lower price, and I get a workout driving it. Once I get finished fixing some of the nagging issues with it, that's how I'll use it, as a pickup. Perhaps time to write to my legislator, see if common sense can be applied and a non-commercial weight plate be available like other states. I know the GVW plate doesn't imply commercial, except for the pricing of the plate being completely out of line with other plates. I don't mind paying more due to the increased weight and impact on the roads, but when an truck or SUV is 5-6000lbs, and mine weighed in at 13,500lbs, I don't mind paying around 2x the SUV, but 4-5x is a bit much.
Your using common sense here........please stop doing that!
First you do know that a pick up has only 2 axles and never had 3 of them.
I Know the first thing out of your mouth is but....but....but.
you have 2 choices here go the GVW way or...... get rid of that useless 3rd axle and make it a real off road truck. (bob it) and if you need more hauling space go get a 105 trailer and call it a day. A 105 trailer will run around $750. That's how I did it. As a State cop I knew the loop holes.

As far as weight goes our wonderful state changed it going by weight and by value. They have a record of what this stuff is worth on how you are going to use it.
Restore it for 4th July stuff. Then you need a historical plate.

MY F350 dually comes in at a :shock: 13,900# and so this is with 1 rear axle. It weighs more than my bobbed duce! They start by value...... like me (used) they charged me( motorhome) by taking the new value cut it in half and that was my taxes due. So you can try to tell them it is a Jeep 4X4 and take your chances. Or try the rest. If I see one going down the road I just say cool! It's the local boys you need to worry about. (this is the part where the dueling banjos come in):grd:

If everyone left at the same time and let it go to waste boy that would get their attention.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks