• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Michigan Registration

Heath_h49008

"The Right Plate".... it's a utility that weighs 13030lbs. The "Utility" plate is correct. It is not commercial. I am not using it as an exclusively "Farm/Log" truck. My coverage is between me and my insurance company. What I have paid the State has nothing to do with it. Any claims will be paid by my insurance company for mini-tort, or the other drivers own insurance anyway in our "No-Fault" system.

If anything, a commercial/GVW plate would seem to open up MORE ways to get sued. Consider these animals in suits:http://www.pritzkerlaw.com/michigan...n-semi-truck-car-accident-wrongful-death.html

They specialize in attacking "Not normal" plated vehicles.

If anything should keep you on the safe and legal side, it would seem to be a normal private plate, and paying the full price for 13000lbs to the State for the tab.

I'm running full coverage, and $15k stated value for $60/month, full use, no restrictions.

natem

Just my 2cents worth as an owner/operator. In my opinion in today's world every one should consider some training before hitting the road with a 30 plus year old truck that weighs 7 to 10 tons empty.

In your MCL link the only exemption is a "motor home".

Believe me a Motor Carrier Officer doesn't pay much attention to the SOS. All they use is Commercial Carrier Code. So I think we agree read the laws for your self and apply them to your situation.

Heath_h49008

If you run historic and the Commercial Carrier Code is waved in your face, you say "Sorry Officer, I'm not commercial. This is a private vehicle. Have a nice day."

By use and non-tractor configuration we have nothing to do with it... unless we start hauling for profit. (In which case you really have the wrong vehicle.)

Commercial Motor Vehicle under Michigan Law:
Michigan Motor Vehicle Code 257.7
“Commercial Vehicle” includes all motor vehicles used for the transportation of
passengers for hire
, or constructed or used for transportation of goods, wares or
merchandise
, and/or all motor vehicles designed and used for drawing other vehicles and
not so constructed as to carry any load thereon either independently or any part of the
weight of a vehicle or load so drawn.
And federal:

Definition of a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) under Federal Regulations:
FMCSR 390.5
Any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate or intrastate
commerce
to transport passengers or property when the vehicle:
1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, gross
vehicle weight or gross combination weight of 10,001 lbs or more, whichever is
greater; or
2) Is designed or used to transport more than eight passengers (including the driver)
for compensation; or
3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and
is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be
hazardous under 49 USC 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding
under regulations prescribed by the secretary und 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter 1,
subchapter C.
For those who want the links:

http://co.livingston.mi.us/sheriff/trafficsafety/Comm%20Veh.pdf

brian griffin

A little misinformation has been posted.

an F350 does not weigh 13,900#

any truck with a base weight over 8,000 falls into the GVW plate catagory
The number of axles is irrelevant.
The Secretary of State office choose "pickup" as the body style of one of my deuces.
Although, officially if a truck has 3 axles the proper body style is "utility"
Some have had Deuces/5 tons registered with a vin inspection and for whatever reason those trucks ended up with "station wagon" as a body style.
Those have historical plates, so I can't say if those would slip under the GVW plate rule.

While the GVW plates do not incurr a $10 "late fee" with the partial year registrations, they charge a $10 "Service Fee"
My 2013 4x4 4 door dully with 5th wheel rig and xtra cap fuel tank rolled over the cAt scale @13,092 # If you would like to see it come on down with your duce I would love to see it up close. Buy ya cup of java to boot!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2013 4x4 4 door dully with 5th wheel rig and xtra cap fuel tank rolled over the cAt scale @13,092 # If you would like to see it come on down with your duce I would love to see it up close. Buy ya cup of java to boot!
The plate laws refer to curb weight as manufactured.
per Ford Motor Co a 2013 F350 4x4 4dr Superduty has a curb weight of 7971lbs.
What you add to it after is irrelevant as far as curb weight goes and the state's rule on trucks over 8000 curb or base weight.

my Deuce is hibernating 'til spring.

Heath,
as far as the SOS is concerned "Utility" is a medium truck designation and subject to GVW.
Now install a "bed and a stove" in it and get the title changed to motorhome and you can get your $125 plate

Last edited:

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These days you can get sued if you pass gas the wrong way.
That's all fine and dandy, but that doesn't answer my question…

After reading that link it looks like all they talk about is big trucks hitting little cars/people. They don't say anything about how the vehicle was plated.

Last edited:

pyro1955

My 2002 GMC GVW plate indicates 9200 lbs plus. It is a 3/4 ton 4x4 ext cab. No gvw plate just
Standard. I can not justify the plate or insurance quotes for maybe taking the truck on road 6 times
a year or less. Farm plate would be decent if i could get reasonable insurance. My truck is titled as an
1984 state farm seems to think its orig price was $85k not the actual and PLPD is over $1200 a year.
Not worth all the hassle to try to get the title changed.

brian griffin

That's all fine and dandy, but that doesn't answer my question…

After reading that link it looks like all they talk about is big trucks hitting little cars/people. They don't say anything about how the vehicle was plated.
I have no idea why my post keeps doubling but your Question was correctly answered 10,001 and you can weld a sewr pipe on it if you want. I'm MSP trooper and that's what the book say's.

Enjoy your rig!

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anything, a commercial/GVW plate would seem to open up MORE ways to get sued. Consider these animals in suits:http://www.pritzkerlaw.com/michigan...n-semi-truck-car-accident-wrongful-death.html

They specialize in attacking "Not normal" plated vehicles.

I have no idea why my post keeps doubling but your Question was correctly answered 10,001 and you can weld a sewr pipe on it if you want. I'm MSP trooper and that's what the book say's.

Enjoy your rig!

My question was for Heath. He posted a link to a lawyers website and said according to the information in the link, a gvw plate will cause you more legal problems if you get into an accident... No where in that link do they say "we specialize in suing drivers with gvw plates". All they talk about is big trucks hitting little cars/people. They don't care how the vehicle is plated.

brian griffin

OK sorry my personal opinion is no matter happens 1-800-sue-everyone would happen. I'll stay out of this one.
I saw your avatar and jumped the gun. Nice looking rig!

Last edited:

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"OK sorry my personal opinion is no matter happens 1-800-sue-everyone would happen."

That was the point that I was trying to point out.

"I saw your avatar and jumped the gun. Nice looking rig!"

Not a big deal, and thanks!

jeeplvr247

When did they change the historical plate regulations? Apparently you can drive wherever you want during the month of August now (which is great) but I am concerned because they no longer mention that it is OK to take "maintenance drives" or move the truck between storage locations. I do not use my truck as anything but a collectors vehicle but I would be lying if I said I did not take it for the occasional joy ride. I was at the SOS today to register my fiance's new car and I asked about the changes but the staff seemed quite confused. Some said that I should be fine to take it for a short maintenance drive but others insisted that that was prohibited. Any insight out there?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks