• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Ambulance in Holland

It's not just the Air Force, either. There were a couple of these at Ft. Jackson when I did basic in '86.

Does this have a 24 volt system, or standard 12?

edit:
By the way, I don't think they were ever given an 'M' number. They aren't a "tactical" vehicle, and not covered by the ordnance department. Probably procured under an administrative contract like a bus or a staff car.

Scrambler

12 volts.

dual airco (front and rear), dual heater, 350 cid, AT, 4x4, PS, dual rear wheels, did have PTO winch but that ain't there anymore.

I'll look for other numbers tomorrow; perhaps there might be some inside.

Wolf.Dose

Found these pics today. These Sierra Ambulances in former years relativly often were seen in Germany in my area, in green and in blue. Here the Air Force always had the better vehicles, larger, more powerfull, better equipped. Many be ist was used at the Hospital at Landstuhl next to Ramstein, which is not to far away from were I live. The idea with the antennas looks great but to my knowledge they used a kind of civilian radio to be able to communicate with the German side of the rescue services; so without these big Army antennas.
Wolf

dmetalmiki

ambulance to collection

I just HAD to rescue this! item..from a disposal yard over here..and as whelen have a depot over here I now have ALL the top and side emergeancy lights strobes and sirens etc fitted and working. cant wait for the last rally of the year on rememberance day 8-9- november.

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the same body as my 78 W400 Dodge AirForce Ambulance which is also longer than my M886's
Do you have the PTO winch on yours?
Yes mine has a Ramsey 12,000lb pto winch.
The pics of the front end of yours do not look as if it had a winch up front.

I believe 1981 was the year they added the "00" My 81 GMC was a 1500 and I have an 87 K1500

Brush truck bobby

I'd like to chime in here. First of all, as a Newbie, I'd like to start by saying Hello. I've followed this site for a long time being one of the first to import Unimogs from overseas.

I recently acquired a 1985 Chevrolet K30 4x4 Dually with a 454 ci and 3800 Miles. I have paperwork from day one when it was ordered by the USAF and sent to Germany as an Ambulance. I'm told it's NOT an M1010 as I thought but a Military Vehicle none the less. I have the contract number, the placard plate and the service records from Ramstein Airbase. What would be the military designation of this truck if any ? It's now a Gorgeous Brush Truck ....

Looking forward to responses from all you knowledgeable Guys and Gals.

Bobby G - Mays Landing, NJ (just outside Atlantic City)

Attachments

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well...it really is a sweet looking brush truck and probably suits your needs better, but I kinda wish you had restored it as an ambulance. They're hard to find and getting harder, whereas any truck can be converted to a brush truck. Just my opinion, of course, and you know what they say about that! ;)

Scrambler

Update on my Ambulance: I found the previous civillian owner who had it for a month or so; he said he purchased it from the USAF on a base in Iceland... he shipped it to UK where I traded it from him for a small tracked vehicle. It did have a PTO winch on it but he took it off and I've put a regular pick=up bumper and bushguard on it since there was nothing up front. I made a small camper from it, using it for fun. It makes no sence for me to restore it as an Ambulance. I don't have a museum or so. I took it to Beltring, UK, last month, to www.warandpeaceshow.com . With all the mud there it was a lot of fun. The 4x4 with them dually wheels-setup works great!
I recently found a PTO for mounting on the Transfer Case and now I am searching for a winch and all the stuff that needs with it.

saddamsnightmare

December 12th, 2013.

What the man has was an AF Ambulance. Historically speaking, except for the few tactical vehicles inherited from the USAAC, and the few ordered here and there since, my observation is that most on base vehicles tend to be much more like their civilian cousins then any other branch's vehicles. We had a 1967 Step-van in Strata Blue with the "Follow Me" light rack on the back, and very little difference was found from a Chevy or GMC Step-van of the same year except for the data plate. Apparently ours had something to do with leading bombers to their revetments here stateside. I'd love to find one that wasn't torn up in civilian service (ours was a construction company shop van truck, so it go no respect from the drivers).

RobM36A2

Hi there, another update on the ambulance project:

Previously, it ran on LPG (something like propane) Now it is converted back to gas, but there is a little problem.
On LPG, the car had no power and got about 6 mpg and plenty of power on gas about 8-10 mpg.
The problem is now, it runs on gas, power is ok, but burns fuel like crazy, only 6mpg. What could be this problem?
Ignition system checked out ok, pcv valve is also ok, now looking at the carb as a suspect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks