• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Trucks

tamangel

1952 Dodge R2 Crash Rescue Truck 1/2

General Specs
• 1952 Dodge R2 Crash Rescue Truck. One of 305 built makes this one of the rarest M37 series trucks. Built under contract for the USAF based on the M56 Cab and Chassis.
• Truck restored with as many NOS parts available from the ground up:
• New brakes, wheel cylinders and Master Cylinder. New front and rear wheel bearings .
• The engine has been completely rebuilt, including NOS Exhaust manifold, Camshaft, All valves and springs. NOS Water pump, thermostat housing, Intake manifold. I put a 60 amp internal regulated generator on this truck for reliability purposes. I have the original alternator and all mounting hardware and a spare voltage regulator.
• All tools and equipment. Original Mall Rescue saw and the Alco-Lite Rescue ladder that is an extension ladder and also makes into a free standing a-frame ladder. All original data plates. NOS Radio. 2 fire suits, helmet, one NOS, tool belts, and all small tools issued with the R2.
• Missing the Governor and the Teleflex unit that pressurizes the foam tank. Generator is a replacement 110/220 volt and is completely functional. Cord reel, all lights, siren, flood and body lights work.
• NOS wiring harness front to rear and new wiring harness in rear body. Truck has less than 200 miles on it since rebuilt and has been kept inside.
• Winch completely rebuilt with new cable and hook, NOS PTO shaft, NOS PTO with the double end to drive the Generator. Set of reproduction R2 Manuals and also have the original build card that was found on the frame during restoration.

From here:
1952 Dodge R2 Crash Truck- Fenton Fire - Used Fire Trucks - We sell quality pre-owned fire engines, tankers, ladders, rescues, ambulances, quints in USA, Canada and beyond.

no connection with sale, info only…Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

markmontana

since the web site for the engine for sale in Cedar City, UT was posted above ( post # 202), I thought I would post pics of the rig (for history and reference) also as the ad will eventually disapear and the pic's would be lost..

Mike
7/14/2010

I just looked at this Fire Truck (in Cedar City, UT as pictured in post #207) and would be happy to pass on any info if you are interested in buying it. It would be a great truck and is in excellent condition and includes lots of good 'fireman' stuff. PM me for info. I do not have any connection with the seller- other than spending an hour or so looking at the truck.

It would be nice to see this truck go to a good home. I have no room for another truck! You could get this truck for 2k- no kidding... (Cedar City is not that far from SoCal!!!)

Attachments

tamangel

1943 Chevrolet military firetruck (Army 4x4) 1/3

ebay auction item #330447862478
ended Jul 08, 201009:53:39 PDT
top bid $5417.00 with 20 bids total
Title: 1943 Chevrolet General Fire Truck
Mileage: 7,001 miles
Vehicle Information
VIN: 8NJ2818274T98
Vehicle title: Clear
Condition: Used
Features
Type: Fire Engine make: GMC
Transmission type: Manual
Class: Class 2 (6,001-10,000 lbs.)
Engine horsepower: --
Transmission speeds: 4 Speed
Fuel type: Gas Suspension type: --
Tire size: 20 inches
Number of axles: Single

narrative:
This fire truck was built for the US Government as part of the WWII effort. It was scheduled to be shipped to the Pacific Theatre, but never made it, as the war ended. It was then used by a small rural New York Fire Department (McDonough, NY).

The mileage of 7,001 miles is correct to the best of our knowledge, but is not guaranteed. The truck is powered by a 6-cylinder overhead-valve engine of General Motors origin. There is no rust-out on the truck. The truck is roadworthy, and has been driven to local parades and events recently.

Equipment includes: fire radio, Indian tank hand pumps, axe, 2 1/2 inch hose, hard suction hose, helmets, fire coats, electronic siren, federal siren, pike pole, CO2 fire extinguisher, booster hose & reel, front-mount Barton pump, and 2 Acme all-purpose gas masks. Please note that the Barton pump is missing a part, and does not work. Additionally, the passenger window is cracked.

To the best of our knowledge, the truck is a Class 325. More information about this truck can be found at Fire Trucks of WWII | Vehicles of Victory, LLC
This fire truck is being sold by the Northeast Classic Car Museum, located at 24 Rexford Street, Norwich, NY, and is available for inspection at the Museum from 9am-5pm, 7 days per week

info/description comment from military fire truck historian Jim Davis from this site:
World War II Army Engineer Fire Truck Identification Homepage
(any questions anytime on old ww2 mil fire rigs, ask him..he's not on SS however)

"It is a CLASS 325 4x4 on a 1-1/2 ton Military Chevrolet platform and mounting an F-300 Barton Centrifugal pump.
It is not entirely original in that:
1. the ladder rack was added
2. at least the right rear storage (and maybe the left) have been removed
3. the siren on the left front fender is not issue.

The vehicle description calls for a GMC engine, wrong. The engine would have been a Chevrolet..

Unfortunately lacking the HVIN we cannot know about its beginnings"

no connection with sale or seller..posted for reference and info purposes only..

Mike

Attachments

tamangel

1943 Chevrolet military firetruck (Army 4x4) 2/3

1943 Chevrolet military firetruck (Army 4x4) 2/3

Attachments

tamangel

M932 Tractor to Fire Tanker..1/2

Was at a local car show today and spied this rig at the local fire department.. Nice unit..

Blue lake Fire Department, Northern California
Blue Lake Fire Department

1987 American General 6X6 water tender with a 2200 gallon water tank and a gas powered 350 gpm Darly pump. It is also equipped with a 20,000 lb pto driven winch.

Mike

Attachments

tamangel

1949 Ward LaFrance/ Ex Camp Pendleton truck..

described as manufactured for the Marine Corps. at Camp Pendleton.

last pic might be the truck in question, on page 72 of the book shown..

Mike

Attachments

Greasy

I'm the head of the motorpool at a local museum Thought yall might like a look at a 1944 or 1945 GMC 6x6 Firetruck i'm in the middle of restoring. I did not start the restoration, just trying finish it. Drive train done (running), brakes done, have new wire harness (Vintage wire of Maine) not yet installed, all new tires/tubs/liners, pump engine repaired and running, pump repaired (not tested). Still working on body work and metal work. She was road hard and put away wet! This is where i'm at now:

Attachments

tamangel

Cap, are there more pic's of your truck and related equipment and restoration already on here? If not, would you be able to put up some info and additional pic's..?

Mike

captain-crank

Mike,

I'm waiting on delivery. Just bought it a couple weeks ago.

Here's some bad pics of it as purchased.

Been sitting outside about a year and a half. Hard to believe it's the same truck as the pic in my first post.

Thankfully no real rust, just faded and oxidized. Got this one just in time.

It will be OD green soon.

I believe it's one of the first 100 built with a 501 Continental in the truck and 602 Conti for the pumper.

Will be getting a file on it's history and pedigree this coming week.

I'll post more info as it becomes available. Pics too.

Attachments

milfireguy

Mack factory photo of a Kenworth-Mack Class 155. Note the location of the USA registration number when you attempt to locate the the reg # for your rig. Army records show this rig USA 508025 assigned to the Camp Springs Army Airfield, now Andrews Air Force Base, MD

Ted

Attachments

Last edited:

captain-crank

Some updates.

Rumor has it the Mack will be loaded and heading North later this week.
I asked that the water cannons be guarded with rabid dogs and razor wire..... 300 lbs each and mostly brass.
That would be liike losing the cherry to your sundae.

Truck was received from surplus around 1969 and went to Willard Airport- University of Illinois.
Fire Marshall there said it mostly held down tarmac since it took ~9 guys to operate.
Once a year it went to some type of fire exhibition.
He says there are three of these in the US but didn't know where they were.
My sources say 2, this one and one in Texas.

Stayed at Willard until 1998 and then they donated it to the Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum.

In '08 the Chanute Museum donated it to the Orpheum Childrens Science Museum, Urbana, Il.

Now in '10 I have it.

If I find some registration numbers I will try to get back farther than '69.
Unfortunately that's usually a dead end. At least with the vehicles I have tried prior.

These cannons can shoot a stream or a fog/mist of water.
According to the Willard Fire Marshall it is set up to shoot fire suppressant foam also.

:beer:

Attachments

milfireguy

Thanks for the update on the Class 155. Army records show 117 Kenworth-Macks with USA registrations 508023-508122 under War Dept Contract W-2337-Eng-1542. Another 18 rigs 508123-508140 under unknown contract #. Have locations where 45 served by serial number.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would be amazed at what the SPAAMFAA archives have on old fire trucks. For the few dollars it costs for the research, it's priceless when you get the list of info/pics/specs that they have found.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks