• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Fire Trucks

milfireguy

Question for the military truck experts. This Class 155 crash truck was constructed on the REO, 7 1/2 ton, 6x6 chassis. Is the correct Reo model number for this chassis, 29XS? Look forward to expert help.

Attachments

captain-crank

The former Chanute Museum Class 155 truck does have a registration on it. There is a lot of misinformation about the history of the truck.
You are my new best friend.:beer:

What can you offer up?

At this point all I have is what I posted and assume that to be reasonably correct.

captain-crank

Question for the military truck experts. This Class 155 crash truck was constructed on the REO, 7 1/2 ton, 6x6 chassis. Is the correct Reo model number for this chassis, 29XS? Look forward to expert help.
No expert here, just learning as I go along.

The REO Type F1 tractor was model 29XS.

HDX Hercules
196" wheelbase with an overall length of 23 feet 7 inches.

Aside from the Corbitt and Mack/Kenworth, the only other REO truck info I have regards the CARDOX 29FF REO

tamangel

Milfireguy, My friend Jim Davis, ( World War II Army Engineer Fire Truck Identification Homepage ) responded to your question above:
"Two separate and distinct sets of military records show the following on the CLASS 155:
The trucks were built by American LaFrance (ALF) on Brockway platforms and by Mack on Kenworth and Brockway platforms. No mention of Reos. Think the first major purchase the Army made of Reos was starting in 1948 with 2nd generation of 2-1/2 ton 6x6 platforms.

When the Department of the Air Force was created in October 1947 Army COE fire truck CLASSES of Aircraft crash fire trucks were changed in numbering from CLASS 155 to O-5. DAF appears not to have ordered more of these trucks as originals or as upgrades.

The truck had a frustrating development history and was not popular with the soldier/fire fighters who used it."

additional from a later email:

"The only Reo in TM 9-2800 , October 1947 is "Truck Tractor, 7-1/2 ton 6x6",
nothing else in WW II.

Now to the picture that is a REO:

1. It has to post 10/47 - the creation of the DAF.
2. The soldier is wearing DAF stripes.
3. The Reg # is USAF , not USA
4, The bumper reads Far East Air Forces.

The platform is consistent with the vehicle I described above. So the
question is"
1.Did DAF order fire trucks on this platform or
2. was the fire truck body from a class 155 transferred to this platform
Maybe some in SS will know."

Mike

Last edited:

milfireguy

Mike,

Jim and I have been friends for years and regulary share information and photos on these great old girls that served our military during WWII and the Army Fire Fighting Platoons. I pose the question on the model of the REO for my records. In 6 years of research in looking at Army records at the National Archives no REO Class 155s appear. It is my though that the pictured REO chassis was converted in the field by the placement of the 155 American LaFrance body on the REO chassis from a damaged/unserviceable Brockway chassis and the Army serial number applied.

The Air Force actually maintained the Army numbering and Class system into the early 50s. Then, the Class system was droped (for crash trucks) in favor of the "Type" system, Class 155 became Type O-5. Army apparatus inherited by the Air Force for the most part maintained their USA numbers with the addition of the "F" in USA. Apparatus purchased new by the Air Force in the early 50s were given "P" registration numbers, this included the 530As, O-10s, O-11As and O-6s. At some point in the mid 50s the registration numbers changed, e.g. 51L0001. (51 year vehicle built, L fire truck, 0001 vehicle number)

Ted

Last edited:

milfireguy

No expert here, just learning as I go along.

The REO Type F1 tractor was model 29XS.

HDX Hercules
196" wheelbase with an overall length of 23 feet 7 inches.

Aside from the Corbitt and Mack/Kenworth, the only other REO truck info I have regards the CARDOX 29FF REO
I would have to think then that the posted REO picture would also be a 29FF.

Thanks

Ted

milfireguy

John,

Thanks for the update. The rig appears to have a postwar foam tank mounted atop the body. Locations of the foam tanks varied as seen on 508086 pictured in Air Force service.

Ted

Attachments

Last edited:

milfireguy

I read that they pierced the airframe to get CO2 inside it.

Was that something out on the boom?
In my research I have not found a piercing nozzle on the boom, the boom was equipped with both CO2 and water nozzles. The Class 150 carried two piercing nozzles attached to CO2 hand lines. I have TM 5-316 dated 17 April 44 "Airplane Crash Fire Fighting" that illistrates the types of nozzles and equipment carried on both the Class 150 & 155. John PM your email address as I have some items to send to you in regards to the Class 155.

Ted

captain-crank

Load showed up about 7.
Pushed it off with the Bobcat.
Driver steered while the Dodge pulled it up the driveway.

Had to stop traffic..........

Great driver, he stopped along the way and removed one of the mirrors.
Seems it wasn't used to going 75 MPH backwards.

I think I found the data plates under a bracket for something on the co-drivers kick panel.:jumpin:

Getting too dark to investigate any further.

It does have a 501 Continental up front and a 602 for the pumper.

Compare it to a CCKW, she's a big girl.

It's so nice when your stuff is delivered intact and not missing pieces.

John

Attachments

tamangel

Fire Deuce's/5 Tons at the August 2010 - South Atlantic Fire Rescue Expo 1/4

"I was sent a link to deuce/5 ton fire rig conversions from a recent show in Raleigh, NC..
August 2010 - South Atlantic Fire Rescue Expo
deuces

Thought I would post the pic's just in case the link goes south...oh, wait , it is south already :)

all photos with permission, by Mike Legeros from his blog, "Raleigh/Wake Firefighting Blog ":
Raleigh/Wake Firefighting Blog - Events / incidents / news / opinions / history / photography / fire / rescue / EMS

nice rigs..glad the trucks are still being used well..

Mike"

1/4

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks