• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military HMMWV Vs Civilian Hummer H1

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I did spent time looking at it. That’s why I was wondering if you are involved in a crash by the time the steering reaches you , you will have more issues than you can think of, plus with the steering box on the inside of the frame and the shaft at an angle, the steering is the least of my concerns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flail chest syndrome is nothing to be taken lightly.

In the crash you describe, it'd rate #1 or possibly #2 as high priority. So far from the least of your concerns and more like the most.....

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The steering shaft wont hit you. You hit the wheel.
Did the H1 ever go through crash tests? Spmeone find a video of it.
I will look for one. I did see a Humvee roll over on you tube. I need to build a roll cage

dilvoy

AM General decided to classify the Hummer as a class 3 Truck so it would not have to meet the crash requirements that Light Trucks have too.
Much of the roof attach items on the early Slant Back Humvees is the same as the Hard Top Hummers. The doors, door hinges and door latches are definitely very different. An SA X Door with the later model striker is going in the right direction for crash safety in that area.

dhaumann69166

For someone just wanting to know the differences between the two you sure have a lot of complaints about the answers. Those are the differences and why they are not road legal in some places. If you don’t like it get the DOT safety standards and DMV registration standards changed.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For someone just wanting to know the differences between the two you sure have a lot of complaints about the answers. Those are the differences and why they are not road legal in some places. If you don’t like it get the DOT safety standards and DMV registration standards changed.
I stated from the beginning that this was not about the DMV. There’s plenty of post on that subject. I am not forcing you to answer in any way. If you don’t like the question, feel free not to answer. Thank you

But just for you, if you go to the Politics Related to the MV Hobby and look for Calling on All Michigan Historic Military Vehicle Owner
You will see that we are doing something to amend the current Michigan Law
Like I said , this is not the thread for it.

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fair enough, by all means I am concerned about an head on crash and what would happen, even if the vehicle doesn't crumple, you are eventually going to hit the steering or bend the ring and your chest would land on the horn button. What I was looking at was more the length of the shafts involved, with the steering box behind on your right side and the shaft crossing over, I would thing that you would might have a better chance.
But whatever steering you have in X make car, it will collapse, but from the dash on, it is fixed, not much crumple there, only an air bag will save you at this point.

dhaumann69166

I mentioned the deep water ford capabilities of the HMMWV earlier but like I said I don’t know about the H1 and now I am curious. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get the DWF kit on the H1? I know it’s going to raise **** with the interior when you get it wet but just curious if it will stay running or if the electrical system will fail? All the military wiring has waterproof connectors and plugs.
Another thing that would fall under your original question is how much difference is there between the wiring? I would assume completely different wiring harness all together since HMMWV is 24v and H1 is 12v but I could be wrong.

I thought smileys were supposed to be friendly lol that one bashed that horses nuts till he died.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have aftermarkets company like Donaldson and others that will make aftermarket parts
Don't for get that many parts of the Humvee will fit on the Hummer H1 and vice versa
I'm not certain on the wiring part, the military one is different than the civilian one, if you have cooper wiring and you introduce water, you will get corrosion
Plus if you have an H1 and you get water in that interior, it won't dry out like the HMMWV

Action

The H1 can ford 30", according to the brochures. It has normal wiring connectors like in normal vehicles. I wouldn't want them under water. But, I see a lot of videos of H1 oners taking their trucks into deep water. I would hate to buy one of them used, not knowing, and everything fails down the road.

Awol

This thread has provided some entertainment.

Bottom line, if you're able to register them, then you're all set. If the state you live in is a nanny state, you're screwed.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread has provided some entertainment.

Bottom line, if you're able to register them, then you're all set. If the state you live in is a nanny state, you're screwed.
Like said it was not about the DMV. Mine is plated and is street legal. I just wanted more info. But like said it was entertaining

sully199

Humvee's weren't crash tested and didn't go thru the same tests and procedures that the "on road" Hummer did.
Also if you ask me, AM General is behind making the Humvee harder to get on the roads legally because they don't want their "hummers" to drop in value.
Think about it..
Am General does not care about the HUMMER h1's they are a thorn in their side. I buy a lot of parts for them. it they cared about them thre would not be 6 months wait on some parts!! Tey make their $ off of building HMMWV for sale to forign countries, not parts

I own both

dilvoy

Fair enough, by all means I am concerned about an head on crash and what would happen, even if the vehicle doesn't crumple, you are eventually going to hit the steering or bend the ring and your chest would land on the horn button. What I was looking at was more the length of the shafts involved, with the steering box behind on your right side and the shaft crossing over, I would thing that you would might have a better chance.
But whatever steering you have in X make car, it will collapse, but from the dash on, it is fixed, not much crumple there, only an air bag will save you at this point.

Maybe about ten years ago, A BMW SUV hit a Border Patrol Hummer head on in I believe Texas. The SUV was traveling very fast and lost control when it went onto a bridge of sorts. It looked like a sort of a bridge that would allow a wash to pass under so it was not high, but anyway, it got airborne and crossed over the line and hit the Hummer. About one foot of the left side of the SUV was torn off by the left corner of the Humvee winch bumper area. The Hummer left front wheel and portal hub tore off at the ball joints and were pushed back into the drivers footwell area. The rocker panel protection tore off as well. The point of impact on the road was easily seen as evidenced by the dirt that was knocked off of the bottom of the hummer. The passenger area of the hummer was collapsed up and rearward in the footwell area. The driver of the hummer had broken bones in both feet, but was able to walk away from the vehicle. The SUV driver died. Maybe some photos still exist of this collision somewhere on the internet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks