• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Police markings arte a big NO GO!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tklm539

Just for information:

I had a real nice set of Military Police decals done up for my M1009 by 67Beast. They looked great on the truck. All correct size and placement.

Now before some wise guy says this is worthless without pictures, that is the point.

Took the truck for a ride this weekend. Yep, you guessed it got pulled over by a trooper. Of all places, right outside a NG station where they process trucks. Trooper was REALLY angry.

I was the luck recipient of a very long lecture about representing myself as a police officer. I guess in retrospect I should have known better. In reality, I knew it was a borderline call.

The real kicker was that he made me pull the lettering off on the side of the road while he watched. Note: decals stick very well when below 15*.

On the upside, we had a nice conversation about the truck and its condition while I worked.

ida34

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone got stopped for this. A way to get around this might be a magnetic mat to cover the markings while on the way to shows and parades and such. When at the show you can take the mat off for display.

chuck500cc

I made a quick call to some LEO friends of mine and they were confused. Military police and law enforcment have nothing to do with each other. Even if you are ligitimate military police you can not enforce laws in the city/municipality. You are for base security. So I am guessing you are not LEO/MP, but you were doing nothing wrong with that on your truck. I guess he was having a bad day :roll: . You are not trying to be a police officer unless you play the full part. I would have called for a supervisor or at least reported it to his boss by making you peel it in the 15* cold. I am told that if it is for show/go and listed as so you are not in violation. Yea right, try to pull someone over in a duce. rofl

Chuck XD Fan

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, all those guys who have restored cop cars from the '50s and '60s are "imitating an LEO" as well? Yeah, right. I'm sure, according to that cop, that if you pull up with your Military Police-marked M1009, that someone will think they are being pulled over by a REAL police officer.

Guess they must be breeding STOOPID into the newer ranks of LEOs. No offense intended to those LEOs on this site, unless you took a STOOPID injection when you got your badge.

I thought most states had a clause about restored police-type vehicles, where an owner of a former LE-vehicle could drive it with the proper markings as long as they didn't identify themselves as cops? I was given a POLICE shirt, yellow markings on a navy blue background, years ago by a cop friend of mine, and he said that as long as I said "NO" when people asked if I was a cop, I was okay.

emr

Awhile back after a Parade a member of the MTA a ritired Colonal, got pulled over in his M38ai, with the dummy 30 cal under canvas,in a different town, the YOUNG punk cop, told Him there was something wrong with him wanting to collect this stuff,and gave him a lecture, The Parade chairmen called the police dept of that town and asked to speak to the chief, the chief said he would and did send a letter of apoligy and a Chiefs PBA card in it! and said he would talk to the officer, Its worth a call that was not right He is not a judge and has NO right to make U do anything , He may find a way to cite U but thats it, He was on an ego trip for sure, u did nothing wrong.You may be in your right to sue for damages, He is lucky If You are a calm guy, He made U destroy your property !? What country does He think he is a cop in, Pre war germany?...Randy

sermis

If you are not trying to exercise police authority over someone there is no offense.
You need to move south.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
On related note - it IS illegal to "display" (which is not the same as "turn on") certain color beacons (and/or have affixed sirens) in many cities/counties and perhaps states. I'm involved in a fire truck club, and this is an issue that has arisen from time to time - usually when somebody does somthing remarkably stupid, like turn on the beacon or siren in a non-parade setting.

However, I know of one case where a guy with a "MP" M151 was stopped for having a blue beacon. IIRC it was on.

DD

wadereg

State Trooper probably needs to take a look in his code book...I went through the Virginia code book and found nothing stating you could not display Police or MP decals on your car. I say look it up in your local and state laws for your area, print out your findings, slap the decals back on your truck and go enjoy your truck. Sounds like the Trooper was on a power trip making you take the decals off in the 15* weather, did he sit in his car why you did so? I guess NY LEO stay busy w/ the problem of people wearing t-shirts with POLICE printed on them...better start recruiting.

jag7720

Interesting thread... I was an MP back in the early 90s and I just got my first M1009. I was thinking about putting the MP markings on it. Guess I will need to contact my local law enforcement office. My guess would be that it is ok to do since

a. The word Military is before the word Police
b. Local law enforcement do not drive mid-80s camo blazers
c. My truck would not have any lights or sirens ... so how would I ever pull someone over
d. I would never represent myself as a police officer
e. MP cannot and do not enforce local law.

Jason
Kansas City, MO

tklm539

Thanks all,

I am going to go a different route and avoid the hassle. I have to drive through the town 3 times a month for work. It just is not worth the hassle. I did not question it and I guess I should have. I am going to look it up in NY anyway.

I did a little research into the truck. It was used at Camp Grayling Maneuvers Training Center.

From this point on, my Military Police truck will become a Maneuvers Training truck.

I sure hope the NYSP do not have a manuvers training facility!! This is getting expensive.

rizzo

I just talked to the Michigan state police in Richmond. he said to have red or blue lights on the vehicle is illegal because it states that it is an emergency vehicle. also MPs are federal. the rest of it he did not see a problem. Look up act 300 in Michigan vehicle code.

As stated everyone should seek out their own state laws.

67Beast

Yeh, Tom I was amazed when I got your email about having to pull them off on the side of the road. I didn't feel he had a legitimaite reason to make you pull them off. Some young buck with a hard on probably. But don't worry I'm finishing your new decals right now and hope to get them sent in todays UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks