• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Police markings arte a big NO GO!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangus580

Capt.Marion said:
Bit of digging reveals this: According to NYS Vehicle and Traffic Laws, Title 3, Article 12, Section 396:

" § 396. Use of state and other seals and insignia on private vehicles
prohibited. 1. A person who shall use any seal, device of arms, sign,
lettering or insignia of the United States, or of this state or
political subdivision thereof, on any vehicle not owned or used by the
United States, this state or by such political subdivision thereof,
which such seal, device of arms, sign, lettering or insignia represents,
is guilty of a traffic infraction.
2. A person who shall use or display the words "Police Department,"
"Police" or any sign, lettering or device with the letters "P.D.," or
any other matter indicating ownership, possession or use by a police
department, on any motor vehicle or motor cycle not used by a duly
organized police department within this state and not actually operated
or used by a member or an employee of a duly organized police department
on any public highway, is guilty of a traffic infraction.
3. A person who shall use or display the words "Fire Department,"
"Fire" or any sign, lettering or device with the letters "F.D.N.Y.," or
any other matter indicating ownership, possession or use by a fire
department, on any motor vehicle or motor cycle not used by a duly
organized fire department within this state and not actually operated or
used by a member or an employee of a duly organized fire department on
any public highway, is guilty of a traffic infraction."

For those laws, see the NY State Assembly's Section on NYS Laws: http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS

However, I must say the trooper's reaction was rather excessive. Most upstate NY State Troopers are pretty nice guys...
Ahh I found it. The key thing here seems to be 'indicating ownership, possession or use'

That takes out the FDNY stickers, the spotlight.

tacoma

:mad: One more reason I will NEVER, EVER move back to NY.

They have legislated EVERYTHING down to the last detail. That is not a free state. It is in fact, the Empire State. :mad:

/rant

weewillywinky

So, If I were to paint the words "Military Police", backwards, on the rear of a vehicle, that would be against the law??
or ont the front, as one of the earlier pictures shows??
I know so bicycle riders use the word POLITE, instead of POLICE.... just one letter difference

ida34

mangus580 said:
Interesting, I went to michigan at least once with my 2000 S10 Blazer with a full BLUE lightbar on the roof. No issue what so-ever, and I spent almost a week there!

Did I miss the NY Law posting?
Let me know the next time you come to town. I need some stats. 8) :evil:

littlebob

The way most laws are written, I have more questions than answers after reading them. Not trying to get off topic, but I was told by a friend that carries a Florida concealed permit was cheaper,good for longer and less B.S. than getting one in Louisiana. I spent most of my free time tody trying to decide and I think all of the laws on the books for everything have way too much repitition in thier description and by the time your finished reading you hope you interpeted everything correctly.

littlebob

P.S. I know all of the LEO's have to try and interpet the same laws.

ida34

But we (LEO) have a lot of practice at reading the law and knowing how it is to be interpreted. In the end it is not how the LEO interprets the law it is how the prosecutor and ultimately the judge or jury interprets it. Knowing what you local judge thinks about an interpretation is real important. Recently the Michigan State Attorney General reinterpreted the Michigan law pertaining to Full Auto weapons and the law. The law did not change and before the interpretation it was pretty much a given that only government and C and R collectors could have Full Autos. The AG looked at it and saw it differently and rendered a written interpretation that the law did not forbid Full Auto ownership as long as the Federal law is followed.

IBEZKUM

I just picked up a cap for my truck, got a five day tag for no inspection sticker along the way, its all the cop could find wrong.
When I went to get it inspected, the Navy had just pealed the N's off and let me have the truck, So they, The Inspector would not
give me a sticker, unless I removed the lettering. Of course it was freezing out so I got my own lettering and got the sticker!!

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

February 7th, 2008.

Gentlemen:

As the vehicle was restored as a Military Police CUCV, and as the gentleman was neither dressed as nor representing himself as a Military Policeman, I do believe that there is a First Amendment Case here, inasmuch as the State Codes do not forbid our military vehicles to carry their markings, and if the sales order from GL doesn't require their obscuration, the State Trooper exceeded his authority, and at very minimum the State's Attorney should be contacted. I do believe that the local State Police barracks commander would be liable for damages to your vehicle, and for the restoration of the lettering and paint due to the unwarranted actions of one of his officers. I would also surmise that you might be able to recover punitive damages from the State, inasmuch as they infringed your First Amendment Rights, If you can burn a US Flag, you should be able to have an MP Vehicle for historic/educational/ and personal edification purposes. Let's see if the ACLU will bite on this one. It's just my two cent's
worth, but if you move to Texas, yo'll get treated better by the locals, cops included.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 KAiser Jeep M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam Desert Storm Veteran Duece

[thumbzup] fat lady sings :beer:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bottom line is the NYS law clearly states DONT DO THIS.. And he did. The trooper enforced it.. I dotn agree with making him peel them off right there, but the law is clear. Whats the problem?

If you dont like it, dont live here, or call your elected officals to change the law to have a clause for restored MP MV's... But until then, follow the law, or take your chances.

ida34

Kyle,
I understand and respect your opinion but being someone that deals with interpreting laws for a living I have to say you are wrong. If you have any attorney friends run it by them and see what they say. If he goes to complain to the trooper or officer's supervisor that supervisor will tell him that he did clearly violate the law. Police officers enforce the law. The court system decides is the law violates any part of the Constitution. Basic government stuff and division of powers as spelled out by the constitution. I can not, as a police officer, refuse to enforce a law because I think it is unconstitutional. I have to enforce what is on the books. In this case the officer enforced the law by giving a warning and giving the guy a chance to correct it on the spot. If the officer was being an A$$ by the way he is acting then I could see a founded complaint. If the complaint is just that the officer made the guy comply with the law it will go no where.
Also, you are comparing apples to oranges. Flags are burned as a political protest. As such they are covered by free speech. Putting Military Police on the side of a vehicle is not a political protest. There was a case in FL of a woman being arrested for showing her breasts in public. The next year at the bike rally a woman organized a protest at the same event. She took off her top to protest the arrest of the 1st lady. The first lady was just trying to show her breasts for the heck of it. The second was protesting the law against woman showing breasts in public. The first still got her conviction and the second beat the charge on free speech issues. You are interpreting this wrong and it is not a free speech issue. It could be under the right circumstances but based on the story he posted it clearly is not a free speech issue.
I would like to see the law changed to exclude historical vehicles but most states require vehicles to be at least 25 years old before they can get historic plates and most cucv's would not qualify just yet. Not to mention, most of the time you can't get a historical plate for a daily driver.

Again, you are wrong about the constitutional issue unless you know something besides what was posted on the stop. I respect you opinion but do not agree with it.

JohnFire

Oh but our trucks are getting close to that age. Last year was the first year mine cucv could legally drink! A few more birthdays and anyone who wants to plate them as Historical can.

ida34

Mine is a daily drive. In Michigan I could bend the rules to do it but I would clearly violating the law. In Michigan you can be cited for using a historical plate on a daily driver.

gunhog11

saddamsnightmare said:
February 7th, 2008.

Gentlemen:

As the vehicle was restored as a Military Police CUCV, and as the gentleman was neither dressed as nor representing himself as a Military Policeman, I do believe that there is a First Amendment Case here, inasmuch as the State Codes do not forbid our military vehicles to carry their markings, and if the sales order from GL doesn't require their obscuration, the State Trooper exceeded his authority, and at very minimum the State's Attorney should be contacted.
Going with your logic here,

1. Was the CUCV originally a MP vehicle? Or were the markings just added on to a run-of-the-mill CUCV to make it an MP CUCV (which makes no difference, just running with your explanation here).

2. GLs requirements, or lack thereof, unfortunately don't trump state or federal laws. GL can't even type an SF97 up correctly, do you think they can be trusted to know whether their equipment complies with state/federal laws? Even so, they have no responsibility to do so, as it relates to the end-user. Heck, it's the personal responsibility of the buyer/owner to know what the laws are for his state or jurisdiction.

I agreewith you its kind of dumb, but it still is what it is until it can possbily be changed or amended. And ida34 is spot-on in that vein.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
heck, every MV out there in GOVT service (past and present) doesnt meet ANY states laws for having a rear license plate light....... Do you really want GL starting to enforce the standards???? I dont...

motorolanut

markings

No matter how you slice it from state to state theres a 90% probability you will get questioned by a Leo....Look at it this way if I put on BDU's and walked around a military
base I can assure you I would get questioned and my a@s thrown off if not charged
with impersonation....Play with fire you are gonna get burned....Cover em with a magnetic piece and take it off when you arrive at the show..If not paint over em...Sucks as a historical issue I know....But we all have to play by the rules... :cry:

Mike_Pop

Speaking of military police markings...

With all this talk about not being able to display police markings and lights, I am going to sell my MX7000 light bar. I was going to put it on my fire department car but I've had it for two years and I could use the money. Besides, eBay won't let you list anything related to police lights anymore. You can easily change out the red lenses for orange. Anyone interested, PM me.

Attachments

motorolanut

lightbar for sale

Hey Mike_Pop there's a excellent site for selling emergency equipment. It is Elightbars.org
It will definately sell there!!!! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks