• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military to civilian wiring simple solution

georgesz

I recently acquired two M1102 trailers and found various links on how to make a 4 pin flat connector with a NATO 12 pin female plug. I found a much simpler solution and thought it would be worth sharing. I bought a 4 pin male connector from the auto parts store for $5 and a molex .093" pin kit (part # 1619PRT) and soldered the female pins to the wires on the flat connector wires. The 4 pin flat wiring diagram is:

Brown (all marker/trail/running lights when car headlights are on) = E
Green (right turn) = J
Yellow (left turn) = B
White (ground) = D

As others have mentioned, the turn signals are not bright on a 12 volt connection, but they work.

This is not a heavy duty solution but the connectors are fairly secure if you zip tie both sides of the connection or find some other method to keep the 4 pin wiring harness close to the NATO plug. Total cost was less than $8.

I am attaching a couple of pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And for bright bulbs - just swap in some 12v ones. Only takes a couple of minutes with a screwdriver.

Cheers

Ratch

Maybe doing that, and pouring some epoxy in the connector would be good for wire stability/security. But at that point, it's probably worth converting the wiring.

I think I'd use your technique on a pick-up from a GL lot, though. Good idea.

nchittendon

For a quick recovery option this is good info to have. If I were doing it more than once, I would want the insurance of a female plug and make an official jumper harness.