• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MIMVPA SHOW/SWAP June 8-10, 2012

196thprober

If all goes well, I will be pulling into the Oscoda area Friday afternoon, with the rig in my avatar. I have no choice but to bring my dog, he's a 160 lb English Mastiff so it's not very easy finding a dog sitter, even if he would allow that:oops:. Besides, he loves riding in the 5 ton:).
So I will be stopping in Lumbermens Monument to see if there are any open sites at Sawmill point, or other rustic areas. My folks have a place in Tawas City, so maybe I can get them to watch the dog, so we can drive the truck to the show. Hope to see everybody Saturday.
Regardless, me my son and the dog plan on camping on the Ausable river for a few days[thumbzup].

AWESOME!

In case you don't know there is a State of MI primative campground less than 2 miles away on Van Etten Lake, the place (farm Field) that our local supporter has offered up for FREE for registrants (primative) about 7 miles
away, and 'Old Orchard Park' also about 7 miles away on the AuSable River.

Thanks,

196thprober

Set up/lay out going well but VERY hectic- lots of stuff to still get done but we'll get there. Inside tables ready for vendor setup. Native American Prayer Fire will be started at Sunrise tomorrow (Friday) morning approximately 5Am, opening Ceremony with Color Guard/National Anthem at 9AM.

Looking forward to seeing everyone-Safe Journey!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How to get there,

Short directions are US 23 to F41 to the show.

From the south
I-75 / US -23 to US-23 (Standish) Now you could follow US 23 all the way t o F41, which will take you through Omer, AuGres, Tawas, East Tawas and through Oscoda ( with short construction detour) to F-41.

Now here's an option I'll refer to as BBPRR (Bob's Blood Pressure Reduction Route)
After you pass through Omer on US 23 you will reach M-65, (Note: this will add about 10 miles to your trip) take M-65 North, You'll roll through 3 little towns, 2 traffic lights and about 30 miles to River Road, this continues East just before M-65 turns back North over the AuSable River.
Follow the River Road National Scenic Byway, when you start to see civilization again (Footsite Village), you will turn left at the Dam Store onto REA road, which will take you accross the river, turn right at the stop sign and follow this along the back side of the AirField past the Wurtsmith Shooting Range, once at the stop sign at F-41 turn right and continue to the show site.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob, if I recall, there is a fillin' station at 65 & 55, do they have diesel?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob, if I recall, there is a fillin' station at 65 & 55, do they have diesel?
Yes M-55 & M-65 has diesel and can handle multiple semis. Watch which pumps you pull up to, as some are for the OTR guys only.
Also just South of Whittemore on M-65 is a truck stop.

Running the M36A2 over to the show shortly.................

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes M-55 & M-65 has diesel and can handle multiple semis. Watch which pumps you pull up to, as some are for the OTR guys only.
Also just South of Whittemore on M-65 is a truck stop.

Running the M36A2 over to the show shortly.................
Thanks, i'll be on the road hopefully around 5-5:30 in the am. See you there.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Bob, I know you have spent alot of time on this project. Thank you for your time and effort. I will see ya Saturday, can I bring you anything...?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Bob, I know you have spent alot of time on this project. Thank you for your time and effort. I will see ya Saturday, can I bring you anything...?
Of all the possibilities........................I have to answer that question with..... an MT500. Other than that, just use your imagination.

I'm heading over to the site now.

GTO Tiger

We were excited about this event until we found out it takes place while the kids are still in school. Was hoping to meet you all as we are newbie's to the MV scene with my son's M51 dumper. He and daughter are busy studying for final exams :sad:

Hopefully there are other events this summer we can catch some of you at. Have fun and post LOTS OF PICTURES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4x4e350

We made it as far as Gladwin, almost there!
But I started having some issues with hubs overheating, and some nasty 80 weight smells, so I decided to limp home before I could potentially be repacking bearings on the side of the road. One of the few things I haven't been able to get done on the truck yet.
So all I have to offer is some pics. But I will be driving the car up tomorrow, so I can see some of the cool MV's that made it.

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man that's a bummer on the hub issue, better to fall back and regroup though.
Glad you made it back safe.

We had 24 powered vehicles and 8 or 9 trailers here for Friday. Yours would have made 25.
Just looked at the weather, looks pretty good mid to high 80's and a slight chance of an afternoon t storm, sounds like an average summer day in Michigan. If the heat gonna bother you, bring your suit the former Air Force beach is right across the street.

Sorry I had the camera out early, the parts swappin was on early, then they started rolling in, and that was it for the camera. Inside vendor space is about full, yet we have a plan in place and tables & space can and will be added as needed. (the space is limited though)

Heads up on incoming directions, stay on F-41 until you see the trucks, signage for the bikerdaze event has detoured a few people. Our entry drive is just North of the display & has one of those flashing sign trailers on the West side and the Lake / Park / Beach on the East side. That's not to say you can't get there through the base or after going by bikerdaze event.

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well it rained overnight Friday.
Here's a pic of Saturday's weather that kept some from coming out to play.
Still over 20 trucks this morning. Including my M884 with a fuel system ailment :whistle:
Everyone enjoyed Steve's MAPP gas 50 cal on his M151. I especially liked the one veteran Marine who showed up just as he was done with his 'assault on the airfield". He said something like "I was sitting at the kitchen table when I heard the 50 going off & said I've got get over there & see this!"

Attachments

Last edited:

196thprober

Thank you for all the pictures Eric, and everyone that helped with the Show!

Many thanks to everyone that made it and joined in the fun; for those that couldn't make it- maybe next year. We obviously intend to keep getting bigger, better, and more enjoyable year by year. GREAT crowd/attendee participation on Saturday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks