• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mk23 power steering filter help

MAdams

Went to change the power steering filter and I think it's missing something. I think there should be a washer or something holding the filter down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, even though it is freezing outside, I wanted to help my buddy Mike so I put on three coats, two pairs of gloves and a lot of long underwear. It was easy, just like you said. Two bolts and the cover was ready to come off. Mine was stuck so I had to pry it off. I was already to take photos to show Mike what he was missing. Prepare to be disappointed.

ALL I saw was OIL! Black, thick oil. If there was a filter in there - I couldn't see it!

Then I had a good idea. Use my camera's flash to light up the oil and maybe I could get a photo of something I could not see. It half worked. I can see a washer or something in there.

20191231_213151.jpg

MAdams

Dude! You're the man. It's mid 50's here in so cal and I'm not going outside.
I'm 99% sure this pic is what's missing. I ordered one and we'll see. I'll make a follow up video.
Thanks again! Might be time to change your fluid too

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tomorrow it is going to get up to 36 degrees which is not too bad. If you want me to, I could pull out some of the oil - enough to get to the top of the filter, and then send you some additional photos. Let me know.

Yes, I think it is time to change the oil but I will wait until summer to do it.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MAdams,

It turns out I have the same problem. It was fairly warm so I took your advice and went to change the fluid in my power steering. Using a transfer pump, I pumped the oil out of the reservoir and then I saw that my filter was missing the washer and so the filter was just loose and not filtering anything. I finished pumping the oil and I found some parts at the bottom of the reservoir. I was missing the top washer but I had both o rings. With the top o ring in place, I think a flat washer would work so I just found a large washer and used that.

IMG_20200116_121905.jpg

Here is how mine turned out.

IMG_20200116_132852.jpg

Thanks for head's up!!

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was cleaning mine out, I saw my rag had the black dust that means metal fillings are in the oil. So today I put three magnets on a string and dropped the magnets into the power steering reservoir. I will pull them out after a while and see what metal things are in the oil. BTW, for the people that are also thinking of doing this, the reservoir takes 2 gallons of oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks