• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mobile air compressor g-311-pc...nsn4310008438885

joeblack5

IMG_20230806_173332706.jpgIMG_20230806_173418390.jpgIMG_20230806_173352361.jpgIMG_20230806_173403955_HDR.jpgEvening folks,
At my local scrapyard I picked up this pretty complete air compressor. Clean oil in compressor and gasoline motor but nevertheless locked up... Aluminum frame, fuel and airtank mounted below the frame . Rubber in decent shape.
May I have searched at the wrong places but I cannot find any info about it.

Anybody have any links or can guide me in a proper direction.

Thank you,
Johan

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That compressor was widely used to air up tires in the field. Is the engine or compressor locked up? The engine is a military spec 1AO-8, one cylinder, aluminum, overhead valve, 8 cubic inches. I didn’t use my electric shop compressor for a year, it wouldn’t start, thought the motor was bad, nope it was the rings stuck on the compressor.

joeblack5

Thank you, I will check the compressor part first . Is there a manual about the 1 ao 8 engine. Google showed only a couple of posts with little mention of details.

I did like the sticker mentioning $1000.. I assume in 1968.. would this be the decommiaioning sticker or the new build a quiring sticker.

There is also a sticker if a woman with some hardley visible / readable tech advise. Would this be a reminder from an mai tenance manual updatess?

Johan

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, I will check the compressor part first . Is there a manual about the 1 ao 8 engine. Google showed only a couple of posts with little mention of details.

I did like the sticker mentioning $1000.. I assume in 1968.. would this be the decommiaioning sticker or the new build a quiring sticker.

There is also a sticker if a woman with some hardley visible / readable tech advise. Would this be a reminder from an mai tenance manual updatess?

Johan
Price would be the original acquisition price, **IF** it was in the system when it was demil'd. If it was old then that price may be a random arbitrary number.

The woman was probably a snippet from PS Monthly.

joeblack5

Thanks guyfang, I looked there and did not see but as often the case in the hardware store that when I can not find the thing I am looking for and ask advise they take me back to the same spot and say there it is , all the time right in front of me, dylexic with things I guess. Will look again.IMG_20230807_135337770.jpg

Attached sticker of blonde

Johan

joeblack5

Is there still any parts supply. Like head gasket and rings. If I want to be safe I have to take the head off and see how bad it is inside..

Johan

joeblack5

Thanks NDT, guyfang sure did,. I guess I am the first reader on this site..

Connie has for sure a couple of things going for her.. probably have to put her on the fridge, not sure how the wife is going to take that.

Anyhow, curiosity got the most of me so I decided to tear into it a bit .
Started out not to bad,

Tear in exhaust, I can Tig that,

Cracked aluminum intake, fixed before, probably fix again.

But the bad ..a lot of corrosion in the cylinder.
Scraped it out, not sure how thick the liner is supposed to be but it seems that some pits get into the aluminum. With some heat and wooden dowel I was able to loosen the Piston up, it had been soaking in penetrating oil for two days already and it came loose with a lot of small taps. Valves heavily corroded.

Will look at it better in daylight tomorrow. Probably going to run but it ain't going to be great with that cilinder having pit damage .

Johan

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
If you look hard, you will find the parts you need. The engine is the little brother to several bigger engines, and they all use a lot of parts in common.

joeblack5

Thanks NDT,. Maybe a bit to much for me for this project.
Some will show up at FB. Found one for 35 but it is not close and it looks that it has been outside in the weather as well .

I opened some more up of what I have here. One rusted out intake valve, exhaust is good, Val seats are hardened and good. On first try I could not get a spark but I will investigate a bit more
This one has the old style breaker ignition,. Newer ones supposed to be electronic.

IMG_20230808_151301026_HDR.jpgIMG_20230808_154106234.jpg

Attachments

joeblack5

I was curious about the inside so decided to pull the rear end cap of. Nice big tapered roller bearing. Drained the remaining oil, green snot out of it and re- assembled.

Looks like the valves need a special wrench to unscrew. I cleaned as good as I could and thought to let it run and pump some air to see where it stands.

The compressor bottom end has an interesting oil distribution ring that pull the sump oil higher up .

Attachments

joeblack5

Although the cylinder has some bad pitting I still feel it would be fun to see if it could run.. so I ordered a new intake valve from saturn for 7.50 + shipping.

My eye notices the poor exhaust damper so I thought to practise my welding .
IMG_20230824_194911934.jpgIMG_20230824_200550668.jpgIMG_20230824_201618638.jpgIMG_20230824_203045368.jpg

It is not a work of art but is was fun playing.

Johan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks