• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern Tire size for M211

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is a modern tire size that could fit on a MRAP wheel, that would keep the stock height?
If I remember correctly 900x20 is the stock tire size...
I might also get a custom wheel, but an MRAP one is easier to find.
Thank you,
J. M. Collier

Gunzy

So you're talking going to super single? The smallest I have seen are the 365/85R20s, they are 43 inches tall which is equal to the 11.00X20 in height. A 9.00 may equal a 345/85r20 if such a tire exists.

snowyrivers

We are going to 385/65/22.5 on the project

A 315/80/22.5 is common

If you want to stick with a tube type (even size ..20 inch) I am not sure

I was in heavy trucking for many years and either had 22.5 or 24.5 rim sizes on the unit.

Usually a mixture of both with 24.5 on the drivers and 22.5 on the steer, drop axles and the trailer

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to keep the standard height and just switch to modern wheels and tires. There are quite a few 22.5 wheels in the proper lug pattern so I will go that route instead of the MRAP wheels.

Special T

In a 6 hole bud design wheel your gona need to shoot for a motor home sized Tire such as a 235/80r22.5 may be a little shorter. There aren't any common wide 6 hole wheels in 6 hole bud so you would have to custom make them.

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up just going with MRAP wheels and 14.5 r 20 Michelin X tires. I will post some photos when I get everything mounted.

Section8

Looks good!
Does it look like you will have any issues with turn radius?
I know the M35's have issues with the exhaust J pipe coming down in the fender well. The M135/211's don't have this scenario.
I am very curious to know what the steering geometry looks like and clearance issues with back spacing front and rear.

Section8

Am very curious! I have been searching for A3 rims since I have one good one and 3 cut up ones.
However there was a guy in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada who was selling MRAP rims Steel or Aluminum for 100 bucks a rim.
I didn't jump on them due to clearance concerns. Insert image of me kicking myself in the @$$!
Now of course I don't see the guys add for the rims and I didn't save his contact info. Insert image of me hitting my head on a brick wall repeatedly!!
Should have taken the risk. For 600 buck I could have gotten 6 rims as opposed to 500 to 600 that people are selling A3 rims for. Highway robbery.. grumble grumble.
Well that being said if I can find those MRAP rims again for 100 bucks a piece I am getting them!
Please please let me know what you find for clearance issues!
Not so concerned about the rear due to having to make a custom bed since I don't have one but really want to know about the front.
Thank you in advance

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clearance is no problem. Plenty of room for turning. I used some modified peashooter adapters for the MRAP rims. The front wheels set wider than the back in terms of wheel track. Given the geometry of a 6x6 truck I decided that slightly wider in the front would be fine and would help with turning. The bolts we ordered to mount the adapters on were slightly too long, so we had to grind off 70 bolts, but I feel the result was well worth it... I am attempting to modify the spare tire carrier more to carry the new tire set up, but that is definitely not a priority yet. I will snap a few more pictures of clearance when I can.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steering Wheel

I'm really pulling for you to get that beast rolling so we can see what kind of top end speed you'll get out of it. Aggressive looking truck!

We're going to need to keep looking for a better steering wheel or learn how to fix these ones up, I got nuttin'. Maybe a wrap of electrical tape will do the trick!

It doesn't feel like the cracks compromise the strength at all but a guy might get his tie caught in a crack when he's out muddin'. We'll need to experiment a bit but maybe we can fill the cracks with an epoxy, sand and paint?

Here are a few that I have access to right now.

20170216_172731.jpg20170216_173256.jpg20170216_173417.jpg20170216_173428.jpg

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to get a nicer take off steering wheel to put on, but getting the old one off is a chore. The adapters for the wheels were bored out to a true inch for the bolts to the MRAP rim and we added some flare around the center hole. (If you look close in the pictures above you can see the "GMC 6x6" written in it.) 20170129_144218.jpg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you're talking going to super single? The smallest I have seen are the 365/85R20s, they are 43 inches tall which is equal to the 11.00X20 in height. A 9.00 may equal a 345/85r20 if such a tire exists.
The original tire size - a new 900x20, is 40" in diameter.

m715

I have fixed ugly steering wheel cracks with jb weld. V grove the crack with a dremel or cut off wheel. mask off both sides of the crack with tape. Mix up some jb weld and use a toothpick to stuff it in the crack. Tape over the jb to hold it in place until it sets up. After it gets firm but before it hardens remove the tape and use a razor knife to rough shape it. When dry sand and paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks