• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern Tire size for M211

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have fixed ugly steering wheel cracks with jb weld. V grove the crack with a dremel or cut off wheel. mask off both sides of the crack with tape. Mix up some jb weld and use a toothpick to stuff it in the crack. Tape over the jb to hold it in place until it sets up. After it gets firm but before it hardens remove the tape and use a razor knife to rough shape it. When dry sand and paint.
I have done the same with automotive body filler (bondo) and spot putty on a 44 WC Dodge steering back in the early 90's, it is a lot friendlier to work with then the JB.

Section8

Original tire size for a M135 is 1100/20r. The M211 had the 900/20r tire size.
The 1100s are 42 inches tall. I think the 900s I think are 38 inches tall, I think.
If those tires are 395s estimate your top speed is going to be close to 60mph.
It will be interesting to see how the old 308 handles the larger tires. Think you might lose some power.
Get er done! I am looking forward to seeing how things progress!
I lurk in the shadows.. Bwahahahaaha!

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
deuce.jpgA little progress report. It runs great with the bigger tires, and the top is fantastic. Waiting on time to get the new fuel tank's interior coated and exterior painted so it can go on the side. Looking for a PTO for the beast; as I would like to run a hydraulic winch on the back.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up just going with MRAP wheels and 14.5 r 20 Michelin X tires....
Just be extremely careful while driving your "Beast" down the road: 1) Surplussed 14.5R20 XL's have earned a bad reputation, already... not because of being bad tires, but from where they came from- and how they were used. (M35A3 with CTIS...)
2) That combination - MPT-type tires mounted on std, non-MPT wheels - sure is a bad choice... and an accident waiting to happen!

Explained, here...

I see what MRAP wheel you have and I can confirm this: actually your tire's sidewall - and not, as should be, the tire bead - is resting against (or worse, interfering with...) the rims bead section!

Running only at max. TP may help in this case. But lowering air pressure increases sidewall flex- and the risk for premature tire failure!

Sorry if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear, but someone needed to warn you...

G.

jcdeblonk

Just put 12R20 XMLs on our XM215....Probably not keeping them on but wanted to see what they look and drove like. Not bad aside from rear clearance issues on the trunion cover. (just testing the tow bar and light assembly we built to go pick up an M35.
IMG_3399.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks