• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modified M105A2

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a M105A2. It was an impulse buy. What can I say. I should have held out for an 1101 or 1102 ... but I didn't ... soooo

Ok, so, if I pull this thing home, jack it up, cut all the shackles/springs axle loose and weld on a 3500 lb axle on it, now, is it a "shop built trailer" and I can register it as such ... right? Or not?

I have not "checked out" and paid on my auction item I won yesterday (13th) should I request a SF97 and a title for $150?

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. :doghead: But I am having fun doing it!

Thanks!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's already got a VIN assigned to it; get the SF97 and title/register it in your state. Then you can swap axles all you want, just be careful with your mods so that you don't create any safety liabilities. In many states, trailers weighing over 1500-lbs (such as your M105A2) will require working brakes and a break-away.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, I meant to say I would put a 7000 lb axle on it. Not sure what I was thinking. Yes a trailer of that size needs brakes. I am wondering what the weight of the frame and box minus the axles and springs is? That is a heck of a lot of steel under there.

I have a "Water Buffalo" that I bought 10 years ago for $400. I took the tank off and built a dump trailer on the frame. perfect platform for it. Heavy springs and (new) tires handles rough ranch terrain well!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you're off to a good start then. The weight of the axle & wheels/tires is around 350-400 pounds (-ish). It's still going to weigh over 2K-lbs with the springs/axle/wheels/tires removed, if that helps any.

It is worth it to get SF97 & title it while stock...then you can modify away and be OK.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I checked out, requested the SF97 and will have it titled as a farm trailer. Not certain that there is any difference between that and a normal registration.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be nice. Here (TX) it's $56 or so per year if it's not a farm tag. And $6 or $7 for a farm plate.

KaiserM109

It might be too late, but DON'T pay for an SF-97. In Colorado if you seriously modify it, you can license it as a "homebuilt". I did that with an M101, but I had to have a state trooper verify it and give me a VIN number.

I have 2 M105s that I registered using an SF-97 on each one. Army trailers don't have VIN numbers, they only have a "LOT NUMBER". I registered 1 using that as the VIN number, but someone else in Colorado had already done that with the lot number on my second trailer. The DMV guy took that number and added an 'A' to the end of it and away we went.

You're in North Texas, do you have any wild pigs that need eradication? I have a .58 caliber muzzle loader that can flip one over.

bspellerin

It's already got a VIN assigned to it; get the SF97 and title/register it in your state. Then you can swap axles all you want, just be careful with your mods so that you don't create any safety liabilities. In many states, trailers weighing over 1500-lbs (such as your M105A2) will require working brakes and a break-away.
Pardon my question here, I as well won a M105A2 yesterday in Texarkana, does working brakes mean that I cannot bring this trailer home with my Tahoe? I already got the pintle for it, but obviously no air.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trailer weighs approximately 2750 pounds empty and the Tahoes are rated for towing at least 4500 pounds. I have hauled several of them with half ton Suburbans and Tahoes though none newer than 2003.
If the trailer wheels roll I see no reason you couldn't use your Tahoe.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the brakes are hydraulic but the actuator for the brakes needs the air so brakes should be free unless something else is wrong.

KaiserM109

Besides the weight issue, and it IS real, if the trailer has recently been towed with air hooked up, its brakes may be locked up by the relay valve. The purpose of the relay valve is to set the brakes if air is lost while traveling. Emergency air is provided by that small tank under the trailer in about the middle. To get it rolling again, just drain that tank.

PS I once towed my MKT-85 which is on an M103 chasis, just like an M105 (5,000 lb.) with my '69 Bronco (3,000 lb.) and I will never make that mistake again.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
if the trailer has recently been towed with air hooked up, its brakes may be locked up by the relay valve. The purpose of the relay valve is to set the brakes if air is lost while traveling. Emergency air is provided by that small tank under the trailer in about the middle. To get it rolling again, just drain that tank.
That is on the newer or upgraded trailers. Not all of them have that.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply. Tow vehicle is F-250. At 2800 lbs it's not a huge load, but gotta be more careful since you have no brakes.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That is on the newer or upgraded trailers. Not all of them have that.
It is mainly on the ones that have the dual air lines and it doesn't take long for most of them drain as it is just the lines and the little Qt size air tank. With that being said I used to have one that held for over a month that I know of, I went to move it with my M880 and thought my brakes had "lot rot" and rusted up, opened the the drain valve had a puff of air but could hear the shoe springs pull the shoes back and it was free to roll.

drivebymashing

I towed a t300 on an equipment trailer with a f250 with no trailer brakes. It was slow to start and stop just dont get carried away. It wasnt bad at all. It still probably stopped faster than my m35a2 with the m105 behind it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks