• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

moding the 915, any clues to where to go from here

krall

ok I am looking to add something to the 915 to make her look different, was toying with many different ideas and have reserched a good bit and just can't seem to find anything that I know would work,

First I want to put the sun/moon visor on this and have looked and looked and got nothing, anyone do this yet or konw where to go?

second was looking to go the full fenders route also?? not sure what others might think of that one but think that would be cool,

I am looking to put some hemtt tires on this so would the fenders not work? kinda my thought, no clearence,

and would like to go the big 7 or 8" stacks,

I really like that 5 ton done on here with a sleeper, looks different and gets your attention and thats ofcourse what I am looking for as well,

might even go with one of those big arse front bumpers as well,

please keep in mind I don't want any of this crome, well mabie, but would rather see it fit with the color scheme,

what yall think?

45 bravo

To me the cab of a 915 looks very similar to a International 4300 from the 70s/80s. I have not Measured one and have asked but have not had a chance to confirm. I am also betting that a 4300 hood would or might do the same. The cabs have few differences from that of the Internationals. I heard a guy once tell me CCC Used International patters at one time or another. Its worth a shot. Let me know what you find out.
If I had the money I would get a 915/916 or 20 and attept to install a drop visor twin stacks and chrome chrome chrom, all while still keepin it painted Carc. Maybe someday.

91W350

Knock off some chrome, put on a little flat paint, you could have your very own cabin on wheels.... This sleeper is kind of squared like your truck....

Attachments

45 bravo

And If I was real lucky and scored a air ride cut off I would put the wheelbase at 280 and install a sleeper. I also got a old 5 speed Spicer and a 4 speed auxillery that would be cool in one.
I GOTTA MILLION IDEAS AND A HANDFULL OF DREAMS WITH EMPTY POCKETS!!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The only way to keep the 5th wheel and add a sleeper would be to stretch the frame.

A longer wheelbase will give you a little better ride....air bag suspension would give you a better one. The M915 sucks on a rough road....been there.

A set of stacks would look nice but I would not go too big.....you may have some issues with plumbing it. I was thinking about doing the same when I had my M915 and I seem to remember there was an issue to adding an additional stack.

They do look good with the HEMMET rims and singles. If you are going to stay on the hardball I would look at the civy super singles rather than the military radials.

I also considered trying to find a flip front end for mine.....it is a real PITA to work on the engine with the stock gull wing panels.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...it is a real PITA to work on the engine with the stock gull wing panels.

If you have something major to do under the hood, the fenders pull off super easy, even has a cannon connector for the wiring harness.

The first mods I did on the 915s was to get rid of the brush guard? and the spare tire holder and crane. I'm about to install the rear catwalk from a M275 Deuce tractor to provide a place to store the towbar, some tools, and a fuel can or two.

R Racing

Although I feel the M813,814,816,818,819 and such better lend themselves to this touch ( do to the great curves they have, LOL ) a small mural like the 1s you see on WWII bombers like the hot chick or the shark teeth and the little bombs lined up would be really cool and not over the edge expensive.

45 bravo

Oh yes you cant go wrong with "Nose Art" Hot girl riding a 500 pound bomb with some snappy script. Ill add that to the To do list under Dreams. When the money allows it.
EVERYONE IS WAITIN FOR THE DAY THERE SHIP COMES IN. I DONT WANNA SHIP ILL BE HAPPY WITH THE DAY MY OWN MV COMES IN.

krall

wm, yeah I think I am going to tame down the 8" after I priced that out, not going to happen, looks like just the simple 5" standard straight stacks will be more the path I will look for now, thinking about going to a semi grave yard and looking at what I could pull off of them, any pros cons on that?? what about a nice big meaty kenworth front bumper or the likes? would that be out of place on this??

M920

ok I am looking to add something to the 915 to make her look different, was toying with many different ideas and have reserched a good bit and just can't seem to find anything that I know would work,

First I want to put the sun/moon visor on this and have looked and looked and got nothing, anyone do this yet or konw where to go?

second was looking to go the full fenders route also?? not sure what others might think of that one but think that would be cool,

I am looking to put some hemtt tires on this so would the fenders not work? kinda my thought, no clearence,

and would like to go the big 7 or 8" stacks,

I really like that 5 ton done on here with a sleeper, looks different and gets your attention and thats ofcourse what I am looking for as well,

might even go with one of those big arse front bumpers as well,

please keep in mind I don't want any of this crome, well mabie, but would rather see it fit with the color scheme,

what yall think?

Here are a couple of pics of my M920A1. It has the "visor" over the modified windshield, a M1070 type grill design, 6'' single stack, and the full rear fenders.... I know....it's a 920 but maybe this will still help to give you an idea what those mods could or would look like on your M915...... :grin:

Soni

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

i love those old AMGeneral 915's...got close to 100K miles in them in Germany.
(66th Trans CO, 28th Trans Bn, 37th Transcom 2003-2007)

i think for full fenders, youd have to fabricate your own, and keep that boxy-hard angle look to them just to keep the style...i remember wanting fenders on my 915 (in the army) but decided against cuz all i could get was the newer 915 fenders (freightliner) and they were rounded...to me (just my opinion) they didnt fit in with the A0's and A1's look.

dual stacks would look awesome...specially if yours is an A0 with dual airhorns on top. but as Wreckerman stated above, i wouldnt go with too big a diameter...but 6" or 7" straight pipes would look killer. specially if they are subdued black;)

as for the sleeper, i dont think that would work again as Wreckerman stated...youd have to stretch the frame...lotta work! all in all though whatever you decide to do i hope it works out...theres a special place in my heart for M915's and always will be...good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks