• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More Photo's from ENGLAND

Desert Rat

We have one of those M60s at the museum here in Texas. Definitely a ground shaker! Love the exhaust too!!

DrFoster

I see that hilux in your sig.. ever watch top gear? I used to every sunday when I was going to school at Wolverhampton... Now I've got them all on dvd! (Except for the old 1989 original series)

Anyhow, that hardened deuce gave me great memories of Marine Corps School of Infantry, where we learned, and subsequently had to harden a deuce. We used tons of snad bags, but what are the panels made of? we would use a plank of MDF and carpet the bottom of the bed with sandbags, then work our way up the MDF with them like a wall. Geez that would take hours to do... all that digging... ugh.

M35A2

DrFoster said:
I see that hilux in your sig.. ever watch top gear? I used to every sunday when I was going to school at Wolverhampton... Now I've got them all on dvd! (Except for the old 1989 original series)

Anyhow, that hardened deuce gave me great memories of Marine Corps School of Infantry, where we learned, and subsequently had to harden a deuce. We used tons of snad bags, but what are the panels made of? we would use a plank of MDF and carpet the bottom of the bed with sandbags, then work our way up the MDF with them like a wall. Geez that would take hours to do... all that digging... ugh.

Yeah, I watch Top Gear all the time. Did you see the one where they tried to destroy the Hilux pickup? They put it in the sea, burnt it and even put it on the top of a tower block that they blew up. And it STILL run. So are you ENGLISH then? My girlfriend comes from Wolverhampton, what part did you come from?

I'm not sure what the sides are made of, but I'm pretty sure they are steel plate. I have hundreds of pictures of REO's. I love them. I NEED to get one, and soon.

DrFoster

Nope, I'm American. I went to college in Wolverhampton, that's all.

Yep, I've got all those videos. Did you see the end to that hilux destruction "attempt" when they tried to put it at the top of an apartment building and then blew up the building? They dug it out and it drove off, only a cracked frame and blown tire.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
M35A2 said:
Did you see the one where they tried to destroy the Hilux pickup? They put it in the sea, burnt it and even put it on the top of a tower block that they blew up. And it STILL run.
That episode, as far as I am concerned, is the pinnacle of human accomplishment in television.

rmgill

M35A2 said:
Here are a few more photo's from show's in England. Check out the M60 MBT, my favourite tank, and what an engine noise!!!! :)

Hmmm, Thornycroft Antar!!! Now there's a truck. Rolls Royce Meteorite engine! Little brother to the Merlin.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2,
Don't let Doc Foster fool ya. HE IS AMERICAN, but has been all over the world. His accomplishment list is a mile long. He's just modest. AND one h@ll of a nice guy to boot. AND SMART AS A WHIP.

I consider it an honor to call him my friend. Same for everyone here. With the Green Iron in my blood now, I hope to stay this way for a LOOONG time.

Now, if we could just get some of you POME's over here instead of over there, we would ALL be better off.

I LOVE ALL THE PIX YOU POSTED. It's the photojournalist in me. Post as many as you can. Keep up the great work.

jim

M35A2

Thanks for your kind remarks guys, it's great to get some feed back from the photos.

Mangus580 has asked me to post any further pictures in the photo section. So if you want to see some more photos that’s where they will be from now on.

Wallew, thanks for you comments. Believe me, I would give my right arm to live in the States. But your government makes it very difficult for us Brits to emigrate to the US. I have got an HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle driving licence) class one licence, which basically means I can drive the biggest of the biggest trucks. It would be great to live in the US and drive the rigs you have over there. But, I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be good enough for your government. My girlfriend has got a Masters Degree in Human Resources Business Management and is an ex Nurse. She now works for the British Government (Her Majesty’s Treasury) as a Human Resources Business Partner, which basically means she runs the personnel side of things for HM Treasury. Now she would be able to emigrate to the United States very easily, with all her qualifications. I have mentioned it too her, but she isn’t keen, and wants to stay here (you know what women are like when it comes to leaving friends and family!!), but I will still work on her.

So if any of you guys own a haulage business and need a good semi driver, then let me know!!

As far as the pictures go, I will try and get some more. I’ve got hundreds at my parent’s house. I will then post some on the photo section.

I will see if there are any interesting ones I can post on here.

Cheers

Andy

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Those are great pics, Andy, thank you for posting them.

I have always been surprised that the trucks the German Army used were 2WD (Opels, right?). I wonder why they felt FWD was unnecessary......

M35A2

clinto said:
Those are great pics, Andy, thank you for posting them.

I have always been surprised that the trucks the German Army used were 2WD (Opels, right?). I wonder why they felt FWD was unnecessary......

The German Army believe it or not used mostly Horses. Vehicles were quite a luxury. They also used more or less all the vehicles they captured.

There is a guy over here that owns the only 18ton German Half Track (Famto??) in existance (as far as I am aware). He spent £1,000,000 re-building it, nut by nut. It's an awesome site. It's in the background of one of the photo's I posted on here (I think). If I haven't posted it I will look for it and post it in the Photo section.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a guy over here that owns the only 18ton German Half Track (Famto??) in existance (as far as I am aware). He spent £1,000,000 re-building it, nut by nut. It's an awesome site. It's in the background of one of the photo's I posted on here (I think). If I haven't posted it I will look for it and post it in the Photo section.
I am pretty sure there is a pic of it in this month's Army Motors, from MVPA.

M35A2

clinto said:
I am pretty sure there is a pic of it in this month's Army Motors, from MVPA.
I've posted the photo in Members rides, is this the correct place to put the photo's?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've posted the photo in Members rides, is this the correct place to put the photo's?
Well, I suppose it's probably ok, but you'd have to ask Mangus to be sure, I am not a moderator. Technically, since you don't own it, it isn't a member's ride, but I dont know if we are floowing the "letter" of the law or the "spirit" here.

Worst case scenario, it gets moved to "conversations" or your photo album.

Elwenil

Eh, I'd put them all in "Member's Rides" since that is where we would commonly go to look at each other's trucks. I think actual ownership isn't a strict rule since there have been other vehicle sightings posted in the past. I will give this one piece of advice: You can add more posts to each thread you make as we are doing here and add pics into them. So you really don't need to start a whole new thread when you post up more pics, just add them to one you have already posted. Should save a little on forum space and it's much neater. Just my .02

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks