• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

more power out of a m35a3 ??

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I tried to retrain old girlfreinds and now my dog. RETRAIN a phone WAAaaaasss that all about?:confused:

You can tune a piano but you can't tune a fish.................:doghead:
I am old, PLEASE Refresh my memory on why I asked you to RETRAIN your NOT so SMART smart phone.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You sir have some nice rigs!!![thumbzup]

Pull the CAT engine and install a big displacement small block chevy engine. I'd get a White Bros. Racing fuel injection with a duel fuel O2 sensor and then you could run a mix of race fuel (leaded) and ethanol gas (for the octane). I think the allison tranny would take it and you could rev the chevy to an easy 5 grand and run that A3 as scary as you dare!

If you can pull 2 trailers in FL. ,why not put the A3 on the first trailer and your toys on the second?:driver:
You can not be serious.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
EXPLICIT1;1199535[COLOR=yellow said:
]thx[/COLOR] steve now ur going to get more rumors going. by the way there red today incase u wanted to know...lol

i have plenty of other trucks to tow with (as u can see). but i bought the a3 as a toy/camping rig for the mudhole and as i say i love it. but brakes suck,needs just a little extra power and i wish i could cruise about 60 mph the trans is great i think for pulling. iam lifting it on 49s late.r but i know as soon as i do that i will be under power. what we have been talking about with my tech was injectors and getting with steve about a adaptor to put a twin turbo on it later in the yr. for right now iam just going to turn it up a little.

thank you everyone for ur input and help. i will keep u guys informed how it runs and what i do.
thx is spelled thank
ur is sprlled you are
ur is spelled in this case your

i is upper case I when used by itself.

WHAT do you not understand about the below rule, or you do not give a crap, If you do not like our rules, go play someplace else.

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read

spicergear

How about turn up the CAT, cool the trans, and put on 46's. 46's get the speed, the turned up CAT will help turn them and pull the load. Drive it a gear lower until on the highway. My 225hp NA 1160 CAT did well when kept spooled up tow bar pulling another winch truck. My CAT/Crane truck is 18,000lbs (and for sale!!! PM ME) which netted about 32,000lbs rolling down the road. Yes, I'm on stock height tires, but getting power in the 250-300hp area will prolly be key.

My M931A2 Tractor with (est)3,200lbs of knuckleboom is all of 24,000lbs now. The 250hp 6CTA does well AND that's an Allison and has 48" tires AND taller axle gearing too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. However, I read that thread before (and just read it again) and it doesn't really offer any help that hasn't been said in this thread. The posters in that thread mainly argued over the merits of the multifuel vs that of the Cat. Once the thread got back on topic the only real suggestion was to check/change the filters. That thread was really about how to get the A3 back up to peak power where this thread is about increasing the peak power.

So..... the search continues. If anyone attempts the fuel turn up that was listed earlier in this thread and in the above referenced thread, please let us know what your results were.[thumbzup]

nk14zp

Thanks for the link. However, I read that thread before (and just read it again) and it doesn't really offer any help that hasn't been said in this thread. The posters in that thread mainly argued over the merits of the multifuel vs that of the Cat. Once the thread got back on topic the only real suggestion was to check/change the filters. That thread was really about how to get the A3 back up to peak power where this thread is about increasing the peak power.

So..... the search continues. If anyone attempts the fuel turn up that was listed earlier in this thread and in the above referenced thread, please let us know what your results were.[thumbzup]
Copied from that thread.
"It is rather simple. Remove the valve cover, at #1 rocker stand one of the bolts will hold down a smal metal cover. Remove the bolt and cover. In between #1 & #2 rocker stand will be a small jam nut and screw on the rack bar. To increase rack travel on the injectors turn the screw counter-clockwise. Retorque bolt back to 22 ft. lbs

To advance inj. timing slightly break loose inj. lock nut on center rocker. Turn in the adj. screw roughly 3/4 of a turn. This should put you at advanced side of the spec for the engine/inj. combination." Edit I see it was all ready posted.

Last edited:

hemichallenger

I have turned up many 3116s and it is and they will make good power.

hemichallenger

Is the procedure exactly as described in this thread? Any pictures?
First remove the valve cover and them the seal on the rack bar. You need a 8mm deep socket to loosen the nut and a 2mm allen wrench to turn the screw. It goes counter clockwise to increase the rack travel. It is pretty simple. I do not have any pictures but will take some the next time I have one apart.

EXPLICIT1

hey does anyone know if there is a cat built into the exhaust ? a buddy of mine just said he thought there was one built in on the a3. but didnt know for sure i wounder if a good stright flow 4" muffler would help. dont really want the truck any louder. maybe put it behind the cab.

bighoss0331

dont swap a cummins in it,if you want it to run.keep the cat,here at work the cat 3116.3126 and the big 60 series out run the cummins all day long

SsgLattig

Just reading all these old posts, but what you should do first is: Ignore all these ignorant people telling you to yank the 3116. If you get a tune up, the fuel timing will go back to where it should be, and you'll notice a big difference. Every time I did one for someone when I worked for the Cat dealer they always were surprised what a difference it made. Too easy to do it yourself too. Hemichallenger, you have to be carefull with the rack on this engine, it'll run away from you before you can blink! Don't go more than 1/2 a turn, maybe 1 full one but if you go more than that you're asking for binding and it'll stick wide open, and BANG! Your engine grenades! The 3126 is a bit bigger displacement though, and it was a "HEUI" (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injectors)- Note: ELECTRONIC. It is capable of MUCH more HP though, but again, your drivetrain needs to be able to handle it. As for the Series 60 Detroit, that's a heavy duty engine which is way too big in size for this truck anyway, and not even an option. So, get a tune up and see how it runs, if you're still not satisfied, see about cranking your full fuel setting up on your rack, but I really don't recommend doing it yourself. I've seen other Techs when I worked at the dealership cause these engines to run away, so imagine what you might do if you don't touch them every day & have the feel for them.....