• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Most MV Friendly State(s)

wiggall

IDAHO! I took my Bill on Sale to the local DMV, got plates, and title! no Form 97 asked for!Got truck plates Restered to 25,000 lb.:driver:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slightly off topic....

Thanks for creating and contributing to this thread.

IMHO This is exactly the sort of discussion that makes this Hobby, and the SteelSoldiers website/brotherhood such an outstanding collection of fine men and women.

Thank you again and...

Carry on.

[thumbzup]

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To expand on my earlier comments...Neighbors: they are pretty tolerant. I store the truck off site and they start asking about it if I haven't brought it home in a while. I try to keep it a novelty for them.

Plus the fact that a IFTA sticker is unneeded as long as it is a personal vehicle. :mrgreen:
Ah, touche, my railroad friend. I just had a huge case of deja vu.;-)

armytruck63

:ditto: HOA = PITA :cookoo:
That's true anywhere. I live in a non HOA area and I like it that way. I would rather put up with a shirtless, helmetless, fool racing up and down the street on a loud quad, than have an HOA in my face all the time.

Just my 2cents

PS: Never had any trouble in California. Got stopped by a cop once in the M1009, but that was years ago and he had never seen one in private hands.

rlwm211

As much as New York State is a pain in the rear tax wise and otherwise, I think I am doing fairly well as far as keeping my deuce here.

I renewed my Historic plates and insurance for under a C note.

I do have to have it inspected annually but with the truck registered for under 18000 (17,990#) I am not required to do a heavy truck inspection.

This just makes the annual ritual a bit easier is all.

Where you live here will likely be the difference between a good time and a difficult time (thinking zoning and HOA) but that is no different than any other place in the nation.

RL

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michigan is MV friendly but expensive unrestricted plates for a deuce $500 a year .
Historical plates are $30 for 10 years and have these restrictions;

Historical vehicles
A historical vehicle must be:

• More than 25 years old
  • Owned solely as a collector's item
  • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades and car show
Note: A vehicle registered with a historical plate cannot be used for routine transportation.

Also the local secratary of state branch manager stated , no cargo with historical plates

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michigan is MV friendly but expensive unrestricted plates for a deuce $500 a year .
Historical plates are $30 for 10 years and have these restrictions;

Historical vehicles

A historical vehicle must be:
  • More than 25 years old
  • Owned solely as a collector's item
  • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades and car show
Note: A vehicle registered with a historical plate cannot be used for routine transportation.

Also the local secratary of state branch manager stated , no cargo with historical plates
Porky:
You might want to read your ACTUAL State LAW on the highlighted notes above. If it's not WRITTEN IN the LAW, then LEO's and the COURTS will have a hard time prosecuting it.

Ref the Texas FMV Laws thread for some longer explaination of this.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Porky:
You might want to read your ACTUAL State LAW on the highlighted notes above. If it's not WRITTEN IN the LAW, then LEO's and the COURTS will have a hard time prosecuting it.

Ref the Texas FMV Laws thread for some longer explaination of this.
USAFSS , that was copied and pasted from the S.O.S. website . Except for the cargo part . In michigan all trucks including 1 ton without a pickup bed , that are over 10,000 # require a gvw plate even for non-commercial use .Michigans broke and if you have big toys they charge big fees.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wisconsin isn't too bad. We now have our HMV plates ( I know we, had to fight to get them, but we got them )
I like the look of those plates. I saw them in another thread here on the site. I can't remember which thread. I'd like to see CA adopt a special HMV plate. I have the CalVets plate on my daily driver. An HMV plate would be a nice compliment. Maybe I should start a movement???

mutt_kahuna

Most MV friendly state(s)

I really enjoy living in the state of Nevada....very MV friendly in the rural counties... washoe and clark (Reno and vegas) are the largest population counties and have various smog laws.....we have classic vehicle,classic truck and antique plates available...some more strict on useage/mileage etc....also a LOT of offroad areas/lakes and even the largest concentration of ski resorts in the US within an hour of a city( Reno)...even vegas has a bunny slope nearby...(both areas have snow bunnys!)

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out here in Southern CA I personally have not run into any major problems...YET. Although, I'm not saying CA is completely MV friendly. I verified VIN through AAA, registered Historic through a DMV proxy service and insured through JC Taylor. I have been left well enough alone. But then again I'm not one to take a load of crap from anybody. I have had more compliments than jeers. I ignore the negative and relish in the good memories I may stir up in an old vet.
Hmmm.... 6 years, 5 MVs, over 10,000 miles in my deuce throughout the state and never any problem whatsoever. Not from the cops, not at the DMV, not the city or county.... But then, I do have an acre of worthless desert that nobody pays much attention to.

I think you guys are biased. There have been plenty of threads of folks having problems in TX and KS, but few if any in CA. Sheesh, I can't believe I'm sticking up for this crappy state! :cookoo:

Jon
What about all this mess I keep hearing about needing a CDL for anything with three or more axles (regardless of weight) in CA? I have no idea about CA law but there are several threads on this topic.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about all this mess I keep hearing about needing a CDL for anything with three or more axles (regardless of weight) in CA? I have no idea about CA law but there are several threads on this topic.
It was basically suck up and bust for me. I got one more or less to protect me from the lawyers in case of a catastrophic event. In addition I am a LEO and I did not want to be caught not obeying the law especially by my employer. I've got a Class B. Matter of fact I have to renew my medical card next month.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks