• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Most MV Friendly State(s)

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about all this mess I keep hearing about needing a CDL for anything with three or more axles (regardless of weight) in CA? I have no idea about CA law but there are several threads on this topic.
Well, it wasn't an issue at all for me since my M109A3 is registered as a motorhome with no restrictions regardless of the weight and 3 axles.

No class B required as well, but the motorhome is a loophole in the whole 3 axle issue here and likely to stay that way as they don't want to piss off all the retired people with big ass motorhomes.

undysworld

Contrary to what Paul in Janesville wrote previously, Wisconsin must take the prize for being the WORST MV state in the union.

Don't get me wrong, for the true "collector", the recent HMV law might work, but even Paul in Janesville is complaining about no utility uses. I sure hope they can get their operating rights expanded. But consider this:

Right now, WisDOT is interpreting the HMV law to throw the Chevy and Dodge CUCVs (Pickups and Blazers) off the road. They can still register for parade use, but normal registration is prohibited. According to DMV, it is because of the HMV law!!

How a law meant to allow military vehicles to register even if they did not meet safety standards got turned around to the point where it's being used to toss military vehicles that do meet safety standards (they've even got the certification labels, for God's sake!!) off the road is simply beyond me.

I'm glad for Paul in Janesville if things are hunky dory for him, but there are a bunch of other milveh owners in Wisconsin who are a long way from satisfied. I guess it all depends on what you use your truck/s for.

It's too bad too, because Wisconsin is a nice place in most other regards. (Oh, unless you're in a union.)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really enjoy living in the state of Nevada....very MV friendly in the rural counties... washoe and clark (Reno and vegas) are the largest population counties and have various smog laws.....we have classic vehicle,classic truck and antique plates available...some more strict on useage/mileage etc....also a LOT of offroad areas/lakes and even the largest concentration of ski resorts in the US within an hour of a city( Reno)...even vegas has a bunny slope nearby...(both areas have snow bunnys!)

WOW :!: There's BUNNIES in them thar hills :!:[thumbzup]:!:

When does the Bunny Huntin' Season open out there?
Do you have to have a Bunny Tag on your license to bag those beauties?
Most important... Is there a LIMIT???

...Just kidding...

After I gave the sales pitch for TEXAS, you go and raise the stakes - - - FOUL :!:

rofl

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cold Warrior,

It's called a "Bag Limit", for rather obvious reasons...
Can you tell that my most recent "hunting" experiences have been shooting with only a CAMERA? I don't keep a hunting license. If and when I have to return to that, they won't be worried about checking licenses.

Since my military serivce, the thrill of hunting lost its charm as a sport. I will kill for survival, but not sport. There's just something about taking a life that gives you a HUGE respect FOR the life - even if they were about to shoot at you and it was down to "you or them." I wouldn't hesitate if it was NECESSARY, and I'm sure of a kill, but only for SURVIVAL.

===> SORRY FOR THE TEMPORARY THREAD HIJACKING :!:

Oldfart

I thought all that Nevada Bunny stuff was about those Bunny Hutches like over around Wells some other spots. I had to read to the end to realize it was the floppy ears kind of Bunnies.

Lennon225

I didn't have any issue in Ohio. When it was all said and done I think I paid no more than $30 for reg and plates. When I went to get insurance they looked at me like I was crazy though:)

JAYHAWK 1962

No problems for the most part in rural nm (the far reach of the empire). Im sure some neighborhood associations will have problems with them. But i have seen them parked in driveways of residences in albuquerque proper.

B3.3T

OHIO is certainly no problem. For vintage/historic, titling is easy, insurance is cheap, and we don't even have to mount or display the plates, which is really cool.

mutt_kahuna

most MV friendly state

I thought all that Nevada Bunny stuff was about those Bunny Hutches like over around Wells some other spots. I had to read to the end to realize it was the floppy ears kind of Bunnies.
...well,the moonlight bunny ranch is near the state capitol (Carson city)...but I pretty sure the bunnies there are a LOT more expensive

Attachments

Katahdin

Maine was pretty easy.

No title needed for anything older then 1995.

No inspection on antique vehicles.

The State BMV guy even noted I paid more sales tax to Tennessee then Maine would charge so i didn't need to pay that.

Funnest part was when the clerk at the Town hall reached way back in the closet and dusted off the book of vehicles made in 1966. "Ma'am... I don't think you're going to find it in there." She just made a quick phone call to the state, they told her to register the M109A3 as a "Van."

I really haven't driven it enough to get noticed by the authorities, the big debut will at the Memorial day parade if my new solenoid makes it in time.

Clutch557

Thanks for the warm welcome guys,

sorry it took me this long to get back on here, been busy. Thanks for all your input, I am happy to hear I might be just fine where I am :grin:. I am looking forward to learning more and joining the MV club soon.

Regards,
Clutch

Tahoe

No problems MV related in northern Nevada.

Wouldn't know about Vegas but they have come up with strange rules before.

Tahoe

Cigarjoe

Indiana is great. Basically here if you through a motor on your kids big-wheel and its insured you are good to go. I drive my golf cart all over the place on city, state, and US roads with no tags at all, but it is insured. Here you don't even have to have a plate on your MV if you don't want, as long as you stencil the numbers on it vehicle.

MacGowan

Oklahoma's great! Texas seems great, as well.

I bought the deuce in Texas, near San Antonio, and drove it minus a license plate all the way to Oklahoma City. Was passed by several state troopers in both OK and TX, but was never stopped... even fueled up next to one at a small station in TX - he looked at the rear in a 'confused' sort of way, nodded at me, then carried on about his business. He left before me and headed down the freeway in the direction I was headed, so I assumed (with my luck) he was going to stop on the side to catch some speeders, or to wait for me. He did, in fact, stop on the side, but only flashed his lights as I passed by at the break-neck speed of 45 mph... perhaps he thought the truck was still in service with the Marion, TX Volunteer Fire Department, who knows?

The cops here have been awesome - if they pay attention at all it's usually just the curious look or a wave and a smile. The other night, after the tornadoes, I drove up to several check-points and had no problems what-so-ever. A cop was following me on a one lane country road with a speed limit of 60 - I pulled a little to the side and waved him past - he passed, honked, and sped away.

I live in a nice, quiet neighborhood and have yet to have one single complaint or nasty look. Only positive comments and questions, thus far, even as I'm slowing traffic at all the stop signs and taking 5 minutes to cross the intersection.:driver:

Registering and tagging in OK was easy, except for the fact that Texas had registered the WRONG VIN # (they used the manufacturing #, instead of the Serial #). So, all I had to do was rewrite the application and they accepted it as is. About $80 for transfer of title and registration (if I remember correctly), and insurance is $158.90 per 6 months through Geico. - also, we no longer have the inspection requirement!

Last edited:

bulldawg

Registered in Texas

I registered my Pinzgauer yesterday as a Former Military Vehicle. The only "problem" was they did not have the proper tag so I "had" to use the number assigned by the Swiss Army. Not sure why but they made me get an inspection sticker (because of out of state title I guess) and gave me a sticker for registeration for the windshield. Other than that it was smooth sailing. BTW, I got classic vehicle insurance thru an associate company of Geico for about $138 a year.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I registered my Pinzgauer yesterday as a Former Military Vehicle. The only "problem" was they did not have the proper tag so I "had" to use the number assigned by the Swiss Army. Not sure why but they made me get an inspection sticker (because of out of state title I guess) and gave me a sticker for registeration for the windshield. Other than that it was smooth sailing. BTW, I got classic vehicle insurance thru an associate company of Geico for about $138 a year.
Congrats Bulldawg!

May I suggest that you read this thread....
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/politi...-texas-fmv-laws-former-military-vehicles.html
Particularly the part about TxFMV's and Inspections. If you had been armed with the knowledge and copy of the LAW, you could have avoided that inspection.... Read up on it - It may help you.

Again, Congrats :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks