• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor Swapping

DrFoster

Hey guys, I was at work last night looking at different things, and I'm wondering why anyone hasn't tried to swap in a cummins L10 to the stock tranny or maybe an older Cummins 5.9 with the dodge tranny?

I'm not sure if the L10 would fit under the bonnet, but the 5.9 actually might, and it would at LEAST double the power output...

Well, I've got the questions, but not the answers, so I'll ask you old salts!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
but the 5.9 actually might, and it would at LEAST double the power output...
I am not sure the 5.9 would hold up-this has been opined before. There's an old thread where people were discussing Powerstroke swaps.......I'll see if I can find it........

DrFoster

Clinto, BFR,

Let's see if anyone else posts up with ideas. I'm curious to see why the 5.9 will die. It seems to be a solid enough motor. I know Trango did a cat 3208 with a AR turbo, but I'm looking for something "skinnier" like an inline diesel - that's why I was asking about the cummins.

Elwenil

5.9L 6BT Cummins should have no trouble with a Deuce. It is, after all, a medium duty truck engine to begin with. Dodge just decided to put them in light duty trucks for kicks and to beat out the competition.

Elwenil

Depends on your thinking as to what "cheap" is. I just sold an oil sending unit for a '98 Ram that was $120. Genuine Cummins part. By the time the customer gets it, it has been bought from Cummins by Mopar, then we (the dealership) buy it from Mopar and the price goes up at every turn. Better to get it straight from Cummins, I imagine.

DrFoster

Yeah - MOPAR... ugh. We just got rid of our Venom SRT-10 and my SRT-4 (492 hp) Rally and auto-X car is on the way out for a S-Type R pretty soon. I know all about the miserable feeling when you need to go to the dealer for a part. Direct from cummins is a much better idea.

jasonjc

I think mephis equimpent sell's them(5.9 cummins to repower the deuce and some one else in the Military Vehicles magazine advertise it for a repower.
Jason

jasonjc

I think mephis equimpent sell's them(5.9 cummins) to repower the deuce and some one else in the Military Vehicles magazine advertise it for a repower.
Jason

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M-Series rebuild and repower does lots of B series swaps. Charels Talbert is the proprietor. He also does the hydraulic PS swaps but doesn't give out too much info on the swaps.

CUMMINS

I've always thought the 6CTA 8.3 liter would be an awsome engine to swap, I like it because it has wet liners where as the 5.9 doesn't, and its only about 4'' longer but is much more exspensive than the 5.9, but I don't think you would ever wear out the 5.9 in a duece anyway

hot rod deuce

dang i sure missed my que on that one! Yes i have a 5.9 in my truck with 1600's (avitar pic). I think there is plenty of power to go around with the fuel plate slid. I need to do something with the turbo (hint hint). I run the stock tranny for now. I have a 600 lb class 18 speed overdrive but might opt for a 6 speed OD allison. My motor is realy a medium truck motor NOT a dodge motor. The dodge motors are differnt than than others. Every one says they are the same but they are not. Well, let me rephrase that "the same but differnt". All the dodge parts are of lesser quality (how many miles will a dodge truck last?How bout a medium duty pete?) Some blocks are a "c" grade in a dodge, same with the pistons. The part numbers are all listed for "A" "B""C" parts. marine beeing all "A" This theory applies to most parts. The medium duty motors are just plain easier to swap because they are all set up for "truck market" parts rather than "automotive". It is all changeable but with a dodge you KNOW your not going to get an aircompressor or the right bell and flywheel.

I highly recomend the swap. The B is 10x the motor as the multi fuel. Makes more HP AND more TQ with less cubes and a much better power to weight ration. I added hydro P.S. and LOST 140 lbs on my front axle. My motor came to me at 190 hp and 450 lb down around 1400 peak TQ. that was a little short to run 65 all over with, so i slid the fuel plate and pinched off the waste gate. BAM 38 lbs of boost and black smoke. Now we run 60 all over, just gota watch pyro and for overrunning the turbo.

The "c" series would be better like he said (8.1) Its more like a heavy duty motor with wet sleeves. I, however, couldnt get one with eveything for the 2K i paid for the cummins and chassis. My next idea here is that a B will put out 300 hp and 650 lbs fairly easy. Its cheaper than a "c" with that power. OK so it wont last as long, motor homes run lots of miles at 300 hp.

Now, i think, just a thought here, that that kind of power in low range will break stuff just fine with my tires (probably yours too).

My next point goes somthing like this. The truck was desingned for 50 mph! Have you ever gone 70 in one of these? I HAVE! the rear suspension shifts side to side (where the springs go in the axle) and evey time it does its a lane change. freaked the heck outa me and the copilot. Now if you run 55 or so its not near as bad, just a mild pull side to side thats hardly noticable. Im building air ride with panhard bars to solve this however.

For the price i think the B is the best bang for the buck. The 3208 is also a good one. Probably cheaper but HEAVY very heavy compared the the cummins. I had a 250 hp 3208 layin around when i did the cummins sawp but i figured in the long run the cummins would probably be better and have enough power to snap axles. Plus the front axle gets a little heavy for off road flotation.

Trango

You know, I did the 3208 because I had a cheap one, and I lucked into a turbo for $80. If I had the choice to do it over again, I would have chosen differently.

I would have made the transfer case relocation part of the job, instead of an afterthought to fit a bigger tranny. I would have realized that 7 speeds at minimum are good.

I would have picked a motor I could easily put an exhaust brake on. Mine has a 25psi backpressure limit, meaning that I'm scared to put the exhaust brake I have on it.

By the way, on my 3208, I have no idea what I am currently getting for MPG. I drove it like I stole it, and I don't keep mileage logs or anything, so I honestly have no idea. Plus, I haven't driven it much since the turbo, and I do know that I was getting nothing for mileage before I turbo'd it.

Cheers
Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks