• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor swaps

Awol

You should offer these to people who want to do it. I would prob go LS if my 6.5 was not salvageable. I guess you would just convert everything to 12v then? Intake pump, swap out the lights and switches? Am I missing anytbing?
Just switch everything over to conventional 12v stuff. For the LS swaps I've done, I always use a Walbro fuel pump mounted to the frame rail, with a Corvette style fuel pressure regulator. This sets the fuel pressure to the correct PSI, and also eliminates the need for a return line at the fuel rail. It has it's own return built in, so you're only plumbing a return line about 3' long, instead of running it the entire length of the vehicle.

As for the rest of the driveline surviving an LS, it should survive no problem. I would imagine if you beat the bag out of it, it'll break something, but the same would happen with a 6.2/6.5.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the engine is below the windshield, how would you go about positioning the blower through the hood? I'd Love to see the manifold and pulley system!
Ain't nothing a few cut-off wheel,a mig with a spool gun and a pair of googles can't fix.

Skrilex

Banned
Just switch everything over to conventional 12v stuff. For the LS swaps I've done, I always use a Walbro fuel pump mounted to the frame rail, with a Corvette style fuel pressure regulator. This sets the fuel pressure to the correct PSI, and also eliminates the need for a return line at the fuel rail. It has it's own return built in, so you're only plumbing a return line about 3' long, instead of running it the entire length of the vehicle.

As for the rest of the driveline surviving an LS, it should survive no problem. I would imagine if you beat the bag out of it, it'll break something, but the same would happen with a 6.2/6.5.
I can probably find a HVAC blower but how did you address the wipers motor?

Awol

I can probably find a HVAC blower but how did you address the wipers motor?
I haven't done the swap on a Humvee yet, I'm just supplying info on the swap itself. If I had to guess, you could rob the wiper motor out of a H1?

Dock Rocker

I haven't done the swap on a Humvee yet, I'm just supplying info on the swap itself. If I had to guess, you could rob the wiper motor out of a H1?
You can use the H1 motor but it doesn’t have the external switch to turn it in like the hmmwv. You have to hack it open and rig up a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not go hybrid, or even full electric?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the carbon tax push we're smelling up here, gasoline may be the least painful to afford fossil engines in the future. Who knows......I sure miss my Duramax but a guy can drive a gas engine and run an audio loop through their blue-tooth with the sounds of our 1966 GMC Toroflow diesel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxaFegXdKZ0

Whatever you do, take lots of build pictures and do a video when you crank that thing over for the first time.

Awol

You can use the H1 motor but it doesn’t have the external switch to turn it in like the hmmwv. You have to hack it open and rig up a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should be easy enough. You could also get a universal motor made for a hotrod. A lot of them use a motor mounted to the windshield frame, and come in a variety of sizes.

Why not go hybrid, or even full electric?
Might as well put a sail on it too.

Tornadogt

jokerLSswap.jpg
simplest, and so many options, I am wanting to do a basic 5.3 keeping the 3-speed, and up sized the tires 39-40in. It should have no problem maintaining highway speeds and be a good intown driver also. A basic M998 is lighter than the suburbans/Tahoes that the engines come out of.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

Why not get an off the shelf flux capacitor and then attached it to a 3 phase shifter with a negative space wedgie for park.
Can somebody please start a hot rodding HMMWV section or modified HMMWV section and leave this one alone.

Awol

simplest, and so many options, I am wanting to do a basic 5.3 keeping the 3-speed, and up sized the tires 39-40in. It should have no maintaining highway speeds and be a good intown driver also. A basic M998 is lighter than the suburbans/Tahoes that the engines come out of.
That be super easy to do. The TH400 will bolt right up to the 5.3. The only thing required to mate the two is a adaptor that bolts to the flexplate, to help support the snout of the torque converter. Going with the older trans means you can keep the stock driveshafts, which is nice.

Tornadogt

That be super easy to do. The TH400 will bolt right up to the 5.3. The only thing required to mate the two is a adaptor that bolts to the flexplate, to help support the snout of the torque converter. Going with the older trans means you can keep the stock driveshafts, which is nice.
And take 150-200lbs of the front of the truck. 6.2s are fat pigs.

I like this adapter slip right in the back of the crankshaft
PRW 1800346.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks