• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Motor swaps

Skrilex

Banned
I've got a RAM 3500 with the Cummins. I have put 200,000 miles on this one. It's the 2nd such truck I've had.

As a result I've done a bunch of reading and research on the 5.9/6.7 cummins. The headgasket is the first thing to let go, usually as the result of stretched head bolts. This is prone to happen even at relatively modest power levels. If you're turning it up at all, head studs may keep you from having to pull the engine out later to gain access.

At 290hp and 550lbs of torque, head bolts are probably ok.

Whatever you do , I watch with interest.
So would you do bolts/studs and leave the stock gasket? Because that’s a lot less work than replacing gasket. And when you say turn up at all, then I’m confused by the 290hp comment because that’s almost double the power of stock!

Skrilex

Banned
Well here it is. Arguably the greatest little pickup engine ever designed. This ones been rode hard and put away wet. I’ll start going through it after a little more cleaning. It looks bigger out of the truck!

First task is to convert the trans to 4wd, then convert manifold and turbo to later model 24v parts. Reseal everything and delete fuel pump. Manual cable shut off means one wire operation. Fully hydraulic trans with exception of electric overdrive engagement.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks