• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mounting 1600R20 tires on two piece rims

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bead locks or run flats will let you limp to a safe spot, will allow you tom air up a flat as the bead will not break, and make airing up when mounting much easier. Bead locks for 1400r20s are 7 3/4" wide maybe a shy 8" on some, 1600r20s have 1 1/2 " beads which are thicker then 14s and the coresponding bead locks are narrower 7+ " not sure if thats + 1/4", + 3/8s" depending on brand. Would like to know what others have found! A 1400 bead lock requires almost 1" of compression which is real hard on bolt threads and deforms the bead lock badly but will work. If anyone has any bead locks I would like to know what their's measure. 1400 & 1600 :smile:

dozer1

Well I just took a measurement on one of mine that came out of the 14.00s that were on my dump truck. It was 8" wide. It has been off for over a year so maybe it is getting uncompressed now and they are a full 8". It says "Hutchinson cage# 62161" on it.

Anybody interested in 6 of these? I sure don't want to re-install them, and it appears I couldn't anyway cuz I went to 16s..

Vintage iron

I must be confused about the difference between a bead lock and a run flat. Pictures would help clarify the mix up. I was under the impression that run flats were steel inserts with rubber around it, Like a little wheel inside the tire?

I used the bead locks from my 1400's on my 1600's. It was tight but they worked!

Vintage iron

I am not sure if I mentioned this but 1600's on 5 ton two piece combat rims, will rub on you steering arm on the drivers side and the hydraulic piston cover on the passengers side. Some people adjust the stops out to prevent this, others use HEMMT rims on the front. HEMMT rims have a 1 1/2 less offset and prevents rubbing, but HEMMT's have their own issues.

My solution is to use 1 1/2 thick bridge truck rear tire spacers. I fellow member hooked me up with some with studs. I will post pictures soon.

Vintage iron

I used a gallon of half antifreeze and water to balance my tires. I seems to work good. I have gone 70 mph with the truck. Traditional balancing sand clumps up, clogs valve stems and will get stuck between the bead lock and rims. I think balancing beads would work well, but they are expensive in the amounts needed to balance these tires.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would LOVE some beadlocks if any of you guys are going to any of the shows this year, please let me know, I will grab them there or have someone i know grab them. TIA.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I got bored today and decided to pull my one brake apart to see why it was having a hard time spinning. It was just a little rust. I did a video of how I get the tires on by myself.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRp_U0DNg30&feature=youtu.be[/media]

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My truck is sitting on soft ground at the moment so doing that I just dig into the ground with the prybar. The avatar reads: "White rednecks throwing up gang signs is about as cool as getting socks for christmas" " Gang Signs? Spock is in a gang?"

indy4x4fab

Banned
Question do I have to put the rubber bead lock in the tire at all, if I don't want to run bead locks?

If I don't add the bead lock is the tire more likely to brake bead in a cornering or turning aspect?

Vintage iron

The bead on these tires is so big and tight, I would worry about getting the bead to fully seat with out bead locks in place. Plus you can air the tire all the way down with bead locks and not worry about the tire spinning on the rim or the bead from coming undone. I was worried about cornering on such a tall tire, but I can take off ramps with out slowing down much.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Ok what about this, I have two tires that I'll be replacing before to long and scene I'll be braking them down sooner then later, do you think It would be alright to leave the bead lock out of those two tires? They will be on the back of the truck not on the front, the dry root is to much for my taste on those two tires.

So run flat will be in side the two fronts and the two front rears, but on the back two rears no run flat.

Run flat, run flat, no run flat

front------back
------truck-------
R.F. R.F. N.R.F.

Last edited:

dozer1

This is a quote from earlier in this thread....
"You do not have to run the inserts. They will bead just fine and hold air. Heck I think even with 16.00s and you run it flat you might not even know even without the insert!"

I have heard this more then once as well. When you think about it, how many other tubeless tires do you have around that you don't run beadlocks in. I have tubeless tires on my semi and they hold up well without beadlocks. Isn't the purpose of the beadlock to make sure the rim don't spin in the tire if you have a flat and you are in harms way? It is a great reason in a combat situation, but in a civilian use situation, a guy would just have to stop and change his tire.

I agree with the earlier post that you don't need to run them. Also earlier in this thread I learned something else. Run flats and beadlocks are not the same thing. There is some links to some sites that give a good explanation of each.

JarheadMtn

I have had slow leaks in a couple of my tires and now a blow out which destroyed the tire. I found an easy way to break the bead to take the old tire off..just put it under the excavator bucket and pressed it right off. I finished wrestling the bead lock back in the tire and will let it sit and get more round before I mount the rim back on tomorrow. Has anyone tried putting a tire 'slime' product in these tires? I wonder if it would help stop slow leaks?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks