• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting 445s on M920

AMgeneral3945

We setup a M920 for hauling liquid manure on the farm. I put 395/85r20 on the front and it worked well, just had to grind the hubs some. But on the rears I kept the 11.00r24 and had them retreaded with a more aggressive tread. The thing I don't like is the dual 11.00r24 sink in too much in the field. I was wondering if 445/65r22.5 would work well. What kind of rims and where to get? What kind of offset are on the ones I see on 920s. For guys that have put them on do you leave the 3/4" studs or replace them with the 1.125" studs? Lastly how would I figure out weight per axle. The 920 gvwr is 76000. The tank when loaded is 46000 and sits right on the frame. I know this is a lot, any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
We setup a M920 for hauling liquid manure on the farm. I put 395/85r20 on the front and it worked well, just had to grind the hubs some. But on the rears I kept the 11.00r24 and had them retreaded with a more aggressive tread. The thing I don't like is the dual 11.00r24 sink in too much in the field. I was wondering if 445/65r22.5 would work well. What kind of rims and where to get? What kind of offset are on the ones I see on 920s. For guys that have put them on do you leave the 3/4" studs or replace them with the 1.125" studs? Lastly how would I figure out weight per axle. The 920 gvwr is 76000. The tank when loaded is 46000 and sits right on the frame. I know this is a lot, any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You can dual up the 395s on the back for wider stance for better floatation. You just have to weld up your own wheels.

On 445s on the rear they are 12k rated each. Continental HCS are about the most aggressive I've seen tire wise in 445s. You can use the 3/4" studs and 22.5 x 12.25 steel wheels

IMO you would be better off with 24R21s they are super wide but 53in tall. Feltz tire in Marshfield WI should be able to outfit you with some.

AMgeneral3945

You can dual up the 395s on the back for wider stance for better floatation. You just have to weld up your own wheels.

On 445s on the rear they are 12k rated each. Continental HCS are about the most aggressive I've seen tire wise in 445s. You can use the 3/4" studs and 22.5 x 12.25 steel wheels

IMO you would be better off with 24R21s they are super wide but 53in tall. Feltz tire in Marshfield WI should be able to outfit you with some.
Thanks for the reply. The 24r21s would be great but the height will be an issue I think. Did some research and maybe the 525/65r20.5 would work.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you aren't doing much road speed you may look at going to 1300R24s. They go right on your stock wheels. Nice aggressive lug grader tires.

They are 49in tall and tubed type.

They make a budd pattern in 25in wheels you could use loader tires etc.

You may also invest in auto chains.

I have a blueprint on how to make a wheel with a spacer lug to make it triple wide on the rear..

Attachments

AMgeneral3945

If you aren't doing much road speed you may look at going to 1300R24s. They go right on your stock wheels. Nice aggressive lug grader tires.

They are 49in tall and tubed type.

They make a budd pattern in 25in wheels you could use loader tires etc.

You may also invest in auto chains.

I have a blueprint on how to make a wheel with a spacer lug to make it triple wide on the rear..
Yea we do a lot of driving on the road. It's the main reason we got the truck because a tractor and tankers would take a long time. Our main options maybe the 445s or 525s. Got to be a tire that'll work, just havent found it yet

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Those look like some great tires. Do you know where to get budd rims that are stud pilot for the 445s? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
I had to just start calling junk yards. You can use aluminum on the rears but not on the steer. Even ground down aluminum wheels won't clear the drum.

I had the best luck finding the wheels In Michigan and Indiana. They are most common on the front discharge mixers.

AMgeneral3945

I had to just start calling junk yards. You can use aluminum on the rears but not on the steer. Even ground down aluminum wheels won't clear the drum.

I had the best luck finding the wheels In Michigan and Indiana. They are most common on the front discharge mixers.
Ok thank you. I already have 395s mounted on the steer axle so Im going to let that be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks