• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting an aluminum military shelter box on my 923-a2

TCD

Howdy,

I am mounting an aluminum military shelter box (a 8'w x 12' Craig 73) on the bed of my 923-a2. I live and roam in the South West (e.g., Black Rock Desert, Death Valley, NV & AZ) so box height and width is less critical to me that those in heavily forested areas.

After I remove the drop-sides (I need to retain the tailgate for another project) the box will just fit on the bed without cutting the permanent forward corners off. My goal is to get the box on the bed so I can evaluate its functionality for the rest of this summer.

If everything works as I hope then I may remove the bed completely and "tub" out a set of wheel wells as a winter project so the box is as low as possible. If I am happy with the temporary setup and can live with the box height then I will cut off the permanent corners and gain about two feet of "deck" at the back of the bed by sliding the box all of the way forward. If the box does not work out then I will restore the bed to its normal configuration (that's why I don't want to initially cut the corners) and change the box to a S-280.

I can think of two ways to mount this box:

1 - Lay the box directly on the bed and use 4-6 "grade 8" bolts to secure the box directly to the bed by placing a row of bolts down each side. I think this would stiffen the bed but still allow the bed to frame flex we see off-road. I'm not sure about using oak strips (as the bed is mounted to the frame) under the box for this option.

2 - Lay the box on oak strips and then using 4-6 "grade 8" bolts and springs duplicate the method used to mount the bed to the frame. I think this would allow the box to also move and possibly removing some stress from the structure of the box when the frame/bed are flexing.

ALL thoughts and comments will be Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks,
tom n tyler

99nouns

:grd:

If you are going to do any long term living in it then you need to consider water tanks on it which in your setup normally would be mounted under the bed linked to the box, if you make the box flexible on the bed then you will have problems from different movements in piping, unless you are planing to go rock climbing, bed doesn't twist and all the stress stays at those springs below the bed mounted on frame.

TCD

:grd:

If you are going to do any long term living in it then you need to consider water tanks on it which in your setup normally would be mounted under the bed linked to the box, if you make the box flexible on the bed then you will have problems from different movements in piping, unless you are planing to go rock climbing, bed doesn't twist and all the stress stays at those springs below the bed mounted on frame.
Thanks for the thoughts 99nouns!

The reason I am going with the larger box is because my camper design supports "4 Season" camping and everything will be contained within the box. While I consider the South-West as my home, in Northern NV we can get sub-zero weather and hard freezing temps are not unusual in the winters! In near by Tahoe and the higher Sierra areas we can have freezing temps in the middle of the summer! One of these in either diesel or propane will keep us toasty all year long!

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product_cat/diesel-heaters/

or...

http://www.go2marine.com/product/83100F/cozy-cabin-heater-propane-boat-heater.html

I plan on using a composting toilet, having a small grey water tank for the galley sink, a small grey water tank for the shower and somewhere between 60 and 100 gallons of water on board. The drains will be in the side of the box and everything should work whether the box is on the truck or off the truck.

Assuming that this box will work on the truck I also hope to have solar on the roof and truly be "Off-Grid"!

We'll see just how this pans out ;-)

Thanks again,
tom n tyler

99nouns

Seems like you have put lots of thought into it already, I must say insulation will make a great difference in your energy consumption than, are you going to insulate the box?

TCD

Seems like you have put lots of thought into it already, I must say insulation will make a great difference in your energy consumption than, are you going to insulate the box?
Hi99nouns,

I'm sorry that I missed your question as I lost track of this thread ;-(

Yes I am going to line the entire box with rigid insulation.

I am just getting the box mounted and I have started a new thread at:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?157575-Mounting-a-Craig-box-on-a-923-a2

Sorry for the newbie error with the crossed postings/threads!

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks