• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

moving axle forward with stock steering

Anyone do this successfully? I was planning on moving my front axle forward 1 1/2" with zero rates under 4" lift springs but heard that you can't without going to crossover steering. ORD says you can by cutting the drag link. Anyone doing it this way? Thanks.

tagjeep

I moved mine forward, and lifted it 2" with fullsize cherokee springs.
Dont know exactly how far forward it moved it,I would guesd at least 1.5"
all I did was use the adjuster to make up the differe
nce

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved mine forward 1" to help clear the fenders and shortened the drag link, however the steering geometry was horrible, so I installed crossover.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you experience crossover steering, especially in a lifted truck, you will come to recognize and appreciate the improved steering geometry. My M1028 will turn tighter than my friends new Blazer. I can park it at Wal-Mart without backing up and "getting straight".

Hope this helps.

Cucvnut

going from push pull to cross over on one of these trucks is like night and day the turning radius is insane you can turn way better than you ever could with push-pull steering.

Thanks for the help and opinions on the steering. I wanted to limit the down time and get the truck drivable again quickly. Not to mention the money aspect. Sounds like I had better be planning on crossover setup as a near future project. Since the pitman arm is backordered the switch may come sooner anyway. What year 2wd steering boxes fit?

That's a great offer Dave! You are certainly close enough. I should probably just be thinking about switching direction now before messing with a temporary drop pitman arm that's on backordered anyway.

Skinny

I have 4" springs with a dropped pitman and I have to trim the draglink joints because my threaded adjuster is at minimum length with the steering wheel still offcenter. I can't go any shorter with this combination, I couldn't imagine how bad it would be with a zero rate up front on top of things.

It handles and steers fine for a big floppy fullsize truck. I don't wheel mine very hard so crossover is not priority now. Will be one day. I do have to clearance my fenders with 37's though.

I would avoid at all costs pushing the axle forwards with the stock push pull setup if you actually will go offroad with it. You will be very unhappy with not steering in one direction when flexed out, having unwanted steering input, and possibly breaking a relatively weak steering arrangement.

ODdave

Yes, I used the one from the dodge that I get the pitman arm from. You have to pay attention to the ratio though, There is a fast & slow. The teeth on the shaft are different. Just make shure you get the right one, set preload and your good to go.

I chose to go this route because I knew my box was good (pistons and seals) and its far cheaper than a re-man 2wd.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks