• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP Alpha up close

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a sweet 2008 Oshkosh MRAP-A in the shop right now for a fuel leak. A real peice of work to work on, but still cool to drive! It no longer belongs to the USMC, it has been handed over to...an investigation unit...a federal one...don't wanna say the letters so we don't get in doo doo here. Lots of infra red has been added along with an HID outer lighting system and a 15k electric winch. Here are some pics, enjoy!
Oh yeah, the curb wt? 35.000#!

Attachments

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
more

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I can say is WOW! I drove it 15 miles today. That little "B" makes it scoot. I got to 50 mph and still had another gear to go. Wipers suck, just like other MV's. Bjorn, the battery box is drivers side mounted, below the mirror. I will get a pic tomorrow. It has 2, 6TL's in it. It has a very short wheelbase, so it could be a hand full if you got into a panic situation. Stops very well. Kinda bouncy when you hit RR tracks at speed :-D A six foot guy is VERY cramped in it. I could not imagine driving it dressed out with body armor. My knees were were around the steeringwheel.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Will, I am curious about the handling of the batteries in a vehicle designed for a very hot environment, the lead acid battery's worst enemy (short of bad maintenance)....

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a pic of the batteries and fuel tank. Has 4, 6TL's two each side under the mirrors. The battery boxes are only vented by the hole the cables come through. When I lifted the lids, they are not sealed, lots of condensation :cry:. It has two fuel tanks. Looks to be made of a woven material, very pliable, one in each rear corner. Thought i'd get a better pic of the bumper and lightbar added by the FBI.
I was thinkin' that this pig was ugly when it came in, but it kinda grows on you!

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
'Cause it's armor and a mess heavier and lots smaller than my deuce and not a tank. Seemed like a good spot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks