• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP wheels and tires on a deuce?

3dAngus

Now I see what you need the dual wheel dolly for. WOW! Those tires look HEAVY!

And if you put any more lug nuts on there, it's going to lower your tires. :beer:

So what do the adapter plate run ya? You know everyone wants to know.

PROSTOCKTOM

I don't want to put my wifes life on my welds, and i'm not going to pay someone to do it.
Are the center not welded to the rims already?

Having a professional weld them in is going to be way stronger and safer than

any bolt on adapters will ever be.

Tom

PS: If you don't mind me asking what did those wheels and tires cost you?

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy

Tom

You think 1 fillet weld is stronger and safer than 10, 1 in. grade 5 bolts? The 6 stock lugs are by far the weakest point in the whole set up.

I paid $2,700 for the tires and wheels, $550 for the adapter plates, and $150 for the 60 bolts and nuts needed to bolt the plates on.

I don't know what the final sale price for the plates will be but for anyone wanting a set I wouldn't expect to get them as cheap as I did.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I do have one question. Anybody know how to air these things back up? A regular valve stem is about 1/4" in diameter the valve stem on these are about 1/2" and a regular air chuck will not fit. The valve core is removed in this pic.

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
O.k. valve stem lesson really quick.

O.k. what the mrap rims are running are called large bore valves stems. Judging by your picture you are missing the large bore valves core that goes in side of the valve stem. Now the picture I have included shows you two different adapters that go on as a valve cap adapter after the valve core is installed. That's how you can air the tires up with a standard air chuck. Or option two is to just buy a larger bore air chuck like the one in the second picture.

Any other questions or inquires as to pricing pm me and I'll get you a price. Hope this helps you out. Oh and by the way the wheels look great, glad someone finally came up with an adapter for those wheels.

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
O.k. valve stem lesson really quick.

O.k. what the mrap rims are running are called large bore valves stems. Judging by your picture you are missing the large bore valves core that goes in side of the valve stem. Now the picture I have included shows you two different adapters that go on as a valve cap adapter after the valve core is installed. That's how you can air the tires up with a standard air chuck. Or option two is to just buy a larger bore air chuck like the one in the second picture.

Any other questions or inquires as to pricing pm me and I'll get you a price. Hope this helps you out. Oh and by the way the wheels look great, glad someone finally came up with an adapter for those wheels.
That's what I'm looking for, thank you. All I was coming up with was adapters to fill tractor tires with liquid ballast. Oh I have the valve cores, I removed them to air down the tires so I could remove the nuts that hold the two halves together so I could paint them. On the floor in the middle of the rim at the top of the pic, it's a little blurred but you can see it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Tom

The plates are beveled into the MRAP wheel. A single 1" grade 5 bolt has 120,000psi shear tinsel strength. So with the 10 bolts, that's 1,200,000 psi of shear strength. You could even loose a few of the bolts and still be very safe. Like mdmorgan said, the stock deuce studs/lugs are the weak point now.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You think 1 fillet weld is stronger and safer than 10, 1 in. grade 5 bolts? The 6 stock lugs are by far the weakest point in the whole set up.
I paid $2,700 for the tires and wheels, $550 for the adapter plates, and $150 for the 60 bolts and nuts needed to bolt the plates on.
I don't know what the final sale price for the plates will be but for anyone wanting a set I wouldn't expect to get them as cheap as I did.
Looks outstanding to me...good job!!:beer:

Just wonderin...are ya gonna try ta put 2 of em on the steer axle at this years GA Rally??:jumpin:

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday, on TV, I was watching Swamp Loggers. Bobby Goodson All Terrain Logging. They had an M818 with duals on the front, for pulling log trailers out to where the road trucks could get them.

Monkeyboyarmy

Any chance that I could borrow those for say.... about 550 miles? If you are still looking for someone to work on that tow bar, let me know. I've got a big storage bill I'm trying to whittle off.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Any chance that I could borrow those for say.... about 550 miles? If you are still looking for someone to work on that tow bar, let me know. I've got a big storage bill I'm trying to whittle off.
I have some 9.00 20s I could sell ya so you can get it home. I'm lost on the towbar thing, not sure what your talking about.

3dAngus

Somewhere early on in this thread there was talk about modifying or making towbar parts.
They were both over at my house the other day. MdMorgan saw my MRAP
1 1/2" to 1" adapter foot, which is not a perfect match. He showed me how he shaved his down to make it work. It was much better than my idea.

He resolved that problem, where earlier on, he was seeking a machinist to help him out with it. Now he has a 83,000 pound towbar easy to handle for almost any sized vehicle. And he is selling his Hunter towbar for the deuce due to the lack of need anymore. It's on the classifieds.