• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP wheels and tires on a deuce?

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
We just picked up 6 brand new MRAP wheels and tires (395/85r20) xzl's and we want to put them on the wifes truck, and here is what i'm thinking. Use an adapter plate like is being done with the hemmt wheels except instead of using the studs that hold the 2 wheel halves together, use the lug bolt holes. Now I know that the lug pattern on the hemmt wheels is to small to do that but I think the pattern on these is bigger, the best I can measure is 13 1/4 bolt circle. They also have about 11 inches of back spacing.

Thoughts?????

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Heck most of the work is already done for you. Just get someone that recenters hemtt wheels to make you a set of centers with their OD that matches the ID opening. Then weld them in.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wait, worded that wrong. You should get them to cut a shoulder in the radius of the adapter plate that would match the ID of the wheel. That would allow the plate to center in the opening and provide an area to weld front and rear of the plate. That's how my hemtts on my deuce are done. Kbarret did them.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'de rather not weld them in.
IMHO, I'd trust a double welded plate more than I'd trust a "adapter" plate. More fasteners = more failure points. Unless you're thinking about keeping them stock for a MRAP later on?

Nonotagain

I've seen posted as long as they are bolt together they still retain DOT certification. As soon as the wheels is welded on, they are no longer able to be run on the street.

mdmorgan, You would be better off stress wise using the bolts used to hold the wheel together. Expanding the bolt circle does wonders for stress risers.

BTW, nice tires and wheels.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mine still bolt together. There'd be no means to change tires if they didn't. Even from the factory hemtt wheels have welds to hold the outter hoop to the inner o-ring flange. In my examples you are not modifying any of the factory construction of the wheel. If you look close on the inside wheel pic, you can see the welded in plate. But you can also notice the ridge where the factory welded them together.

I don't condone someone in their backyard attempting to manufacture something like this with their 110v harbor freight welder. If that's what everyone is getting at.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to put my wifes life on my welds, and i'm not going to pay someone to do it.
Ya! because hiring a hit man is illegal! :shock:
Seriously though your wife should be proud of you.
The adapter idea sounds plausible,
those mrap rims look hub centered
deuces are lug centered.
Your adapter will need to be stepped as patracy suggested above
If you go with bolt together adapters, have the nuts exposed so they can be paint marked after installation

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wish I had the steel and a lathe!
Screw the adapters. Make new hubs with the hemmt bolt flange.
I can't understand why I haven't figured that out until just now :cookoo:
You'd also have to redesign the brake system as well unfortunately.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call ouverson engineering they made a set in 10 bolt hub for an member hear
that fit 2.5 ton axles and ditto to Bob H what he said.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Ya! because hiring a hit man is illegal! :shock:
Seriously though your wife should be proud of you.
The adapter idea sounds plausible,
those mrap rims look hub centered
deuces are lug centered.
Your adapter will need to be stepped as patracy suggested above
If you go with bolt together adapters, have the nuts exposed so they can be paint marked after installation
roflHA! That's funny, I see how what I said could have been taken that way.

I hadn't thought about that, maybe start with a 3/4" plate and have 1/4" machined off down to leave a "hub" to locate it.

I planned on having all the nuts on the outside, figured it would look better too.